HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:01 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Contest
5 1/2 miles....Can you beat it ?

This challenge was born out of my frustration for not making it to any contests this season.

I finally managed some time off work and asked Joe who flies at Red Hen Turf farms what the current cross country record for the field was. He replied that as far as he knew that it was ½ mile and the chase was done on foot.

A bit of excitement ran through me as I realized that my balsa and monokote glider may just be able to beat that if my running shoes and I could survive the attempts.

To shorten this part of the story I planned to fly East but the drift was taking me North so that became Plan B. My sprint with transmitter in hand slowed to a jog and finally a walk 2 miles later. I landed in a bean field and later verification on a map showed 1.8 miles point to point.

I walked back to the field and launched again into another boomer thermal. I set off on foot again fairly convinced that I'd never survive another 2 mile run but was happy that I'd at least have my transmitter in hand when they took me to the hospital. A moment later I heard “Get in !” yelled at me from behind. I actually remembered to leave my keys in the car this time and my flying buddy Bob had chased me down in my car. I climbed in the passenger door and closed the door while sticking my head and transmitter out the window.

Down the road we went zig zagging the county roads trying to keep up with my 100” glider. Tree lines were nearly always present on one side of the road or the other. I lost sight of the glider at least twice and after numerous turns in the car, a couple thermals and down wind runs later we came to a place with trees on both sides of the road and over the top of the car if we continued. I was nearly out of sight with altitude so I asked Bob to stop the car, I climbed out and told him to continue and find out how far it was through the trees. I had to fly back South into the sink to keep from losing the glider and when Bob returned I was down to pattern altitude. The second bean field of the day ended the flight. A check on the map showed
5 ½ miles from launch point to landing point for another new field record.

Thinking about the flight I then realized that this challenge that enthused me could do the same for others. The flight was done with a typical beginner thermal duration ship and in fact could have easily been done with a Gentle Lady since it was primarily down wind. There was no variometer and no special chase vehicle. I was flying out the window of a Toyota. The course was far from perfect XC country with trees on the side of the roads and only beans or corn fields to land in. I realized that this is exactly the type of challenge that might bring others into XC soaring that haven't done so because they didn't have “the right equipment”. So here it is :

Use whatever thermal duration glider that you have handy. No variometer is allowed. Use any chase vehicle that you have on hand. Count the straight line distance from takeoff to landing. If you're an experienced XC pilot then find a TD pilot that you can introduce this way by attacking a record that's waiting to be beat. Then tell us all about it afterward.

What's your field's Cross Country record ?
Can you beat 5 ½ miles ?

I explained to Bob later that as the driver he shouldn't take demanding screams from the pilot too seriously.

Have fun,
Mike N
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:48 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,273 Posts
After first part of the post, I thought you were going to say you'd managed
5 1/2 miles cross country, on foot. Now *that* would be a cool challenge.
Once you get into a vehicle, it just seems to me it gets too easy, if not
for you, then for numerous other people.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
.....5 1/2 miles cross country, on foot. Now *that* would be a cool challenge....
Agreed...and I spend a fair amount of time in running shoes. I would have posed the 1.8 mile tennis shoe challenge but felt that hanging out the window of the car that you drove to the field may get more of those interested that are on the fence about trying cross country due to equipment or location restrictions.

Mike N
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:42 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
nICE CHALLENGE, I have it on my bucket list for a long time, but I still dont find a decent course , I will keep you posted

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:08 PM
flying monkey
Europe
Joined Sep 2008
122 Posts
Quote:
5 1/2 miles cross country, on foot. Now *that* would be a cool challenge.
I still hope to do something like that one day: Unsupported, on foot, from hand launch.
Unfortunately the area where I live is less than optimal with trees often lining paths and roads and rolling terrain.
Nonetheless I manage to do a 5km (3.1miles) closed circuit around my field last year. It took about 45 minutes on foot. Plane was a 1.5m DLG and thermal activity was particularly good that day.

Friedmar
frichte is offline Find More Posts by frichte
Last edited by frichte; Sep 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:34 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
I can run 5 miles in 45 min, easy. Once I figure out how to thermal/move a DLG in 45 min, I will try the single man XC.

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:11 PM
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Friedmar and Tai,
I encourage you to give it a try with your present equipment and your present location. Find out just how far you can go.
It was Joe's 1/2 mile record that inspired me to find out how tough it would be and how far I could go using a small glider with trees and corn fields as obstacles.

Mike N
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Once you get into a vehicle, it just seems to me it gets too easy,....

ian
Ian, Take a closer look at the distance. Once you speck out with your TD ship and climb in the car to head downwind, you're likely going to need one or two more good thermals to beat that distance. If your best L/D is around 18mph or so and the wind aloft is 10 mph then you're hanging out the car window at around 30 mph trying to read the subtle cues from your glider that you are again in lift since no vario will be singing to you. Stopping to get out once you get low is of course fine but I would refer to the challenge as exhilarating ...not easy.
If it seems easy then grab a Gentle Lady and see if you can double my distance. If you can then you just went about half of what's necessary to beat the current 2M national record.

Mike N
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:29 PM
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
nICE CHALLENGE, I have it on my bucket list for a long time, but I still dont find a decent course , I will keep you posted

EZ
Edwinzea, Good luck and have fun. That's the point of the challenge

Mike N
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalSeeker View Post
If it seems easy then grab a Gentle Lady and see if you can double my distance. If you can then you just went about half of what's necessary to beat the current 2M national record.

Mike N
Gentle Lady? 2M record?

What happened to
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalSeeker View Post
Use whatever thermal duration glider that you have handy. No variometer is allowed. Use any chase vehicle that you have on hand. Count the straight line distance from takeoff to landing. If you're an experienced XC pilot then find a TD pilot that you can introduce this way by attacking a record that's waiting to be beat. Then tell us all about it afterward.
Which seems totally unlimited.
Isn't this what people do all the time in this forum?

That's why a cross country record on foot seems like a much more interesting challenge.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:45 AM
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Gentle Lady? 2M record?

What happened to

Which seems totally unlimited.
Isn't this what people do all the time in this forum?

That's why a cross country record on foot seems like a much more interesting challenge.

ian
Hi Ian,
My purpose of the thread is to promote XC participation due to frustration that my participation this season was stifled by work. I thoroughly enjoyed the footed challenge but suspect that most won't. Thus the initial topic of a TD ship sans vario using the everyday grocery getter for chase. That still stands and it can apply to anyone that has a thermal ship anywhere.

I attempted to make it more of a challenge for you since you said "Once you get into a vehicle, it just seems to me it gets too easy.....". The additional challenge and incentive for 2M is that the current National record for is 15.5 miles for declared distance and 17.5 miles for open distance. I see either of them as achievable for anyone with the most basic equipment and think that those records need to be pursued.

I'm game for pushing the footed XC out to more extreme limits and think in fact that the Boulder Res field is a likely candidate with the wind out of the South and there's already joggers galore so the vehicle traffic will be aware. 5 or 6 miles will put you in the neighborhood of the West side of Longmont airport or Hygiene. It's a zig zag path but that's going to be true for anyone that doesn't have the open plains a short distance away which levels the playing field. If you want to set the bar higher than my 1.8 miles then when you claim the new footed record, I'll attempt to reclaim it back there and the informal challenge can continue worldwide as well.

I just see way too many sitting on the sidelines of XC because they don't have the specialized equipment or the perfect course available. I'm open to hear any other ways to get more people involved as well.

Mike N
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:15 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Getting interesting actually I am planning to use my electric glider (with height limiter) because I dont have the equipment nor the space to launch otherwise.

I read this in another thread on XC forum "An example is the MSV Giengen in Germany (http://www.msv-giengen.de), who has been holding two per year; you walk with your plane around a 4-mile course."

It seems that there is a growing interest on this category, mainly in Europe, wher big flat empty field are so difficult to find

Regards

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
Getting interesting actually I am planning to use my electric glider (with height limiter) because I dont have the equipment nor the space to launch otherwise.

I read this in another thread on XC forum "An example is the MSV Giengen in Germany (http://www.msv-giengen.de), who has been holding two per year; you walk with your plane around a 4-mile course."

It seems that there is a growing interest on this category, mainly in Europe, wher big flat empty field are so difficult to find

Regards

EZ
Edwinzea,
You may have just solved the issue that some have with a shortage of decent landing fields. If you use your engine for the launch portion only and still have some battery left, then you can complete as much of the flight as you can as a glider on a cross country. When you finally get low and have to land, and the field that's under your glider isn't friendly then you can add power and find a better field.
Good luck,
Mike N
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:35 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
the closest to cross country ive done is fly my 65cm span 2 channel discuss (childs chuck glider converted) along my local seafront. off the 3 meter high lip from the promenade in a 26mph wind. walked with it along the 1/2 mile lip up and back 3 times before a wing tip caught a long bit of grass. so 3 miles is my best on foot. dont really have the right countryside here to try anything bigger.

this is the bird

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=2969
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
the closest to cross country ive done is fly my 65cm span 2 channel discuss (childs chuck glider converted) along my local seafront. off the 3 meter high lip from the promenade in a 26mph wind. walked with it along the 1/2 mile lip up and back 3 times before a wing tip caught a long bit of grass. so 3 miles is my best on foot. dont really have the right countryside here to try anything bigger.

this is the bird

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=2969
socommk... That's quite impressive from a 3meter tall ridge. Congratulations!

If you want to call your flight a "Closed course distance" then clearly that's now a standing record and a respectable flight to have as one to try to beat.
I can think of several places where something similar could be attempted so maybe someone will take your flight as a challenge and try to beat you. Then of course you go and attempt to beat their flight.....it's all great fun. Usually when turnpoints are concerned in XC contests the glider and the pilot must be at the turnpoint at the same time. That's for verification and adds to the difficulty, which is even more so when done on foot. Well done !

Mike N

Mike
Closed Thread