HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2001, 07:26 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
When good goes to bad to really bad

*&%^$#% I was haveing a great night chucking my Climmax HLG around when I decided to break out my Hi-Start. Set it up walk back 30 paces and let her rip. She ripped alright right into the ground, no radio input was working,at launch speed Go over to fetch the pieces up and it is not to bad, pretty easy repair, which shocked me after the speed it hit the ground Wondering what had just happened I looked to see if I had turned the radio on. I had. as I put down the antenna and noticed it was very loose. I got home and opened up the back of my Futaba XA6s and saw that the bracket that hold the antenna was broken and the wire was no longer attacted to the board. Quick solder job and we are ready to go and fly the PJC/4014. I was soldering away and no prob. Finished the job and I was cleaning the tip and a drop of solder falls off and lands on a PC board in the radio. Solder is not comeing off the bord, it seems that it if firmly attached to a dozen diffrent little "gizmos" on the PC board. Looks like I am not flying for a while Guess I have time to finish my TJ and a couple other things.

Think I need a beer,

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2001, 09:59 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
There is "de-soldering" braid that will "suck up" the solder when heated with an iron. Might be worth a shot.
Try Radio Shack.

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old Jun 27, 2001, 12:23 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,275 Posts
That may also loosen the lands on the pc board. Best bet is to send it out for service and let the pros do it right.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jun 27, 2001, 08:26 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,297 Posts
Perhaps the girlfriend with the great new job would spring for a new radio ? I didn't think so either. Don't you have a birthday coming up, or a holiday, or something ?

Good luck with repairs.

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jun 27, 2001, 09:53 AM
rebmeM roineS
Rockingham, Perth - Western Australia
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
If your board has surface mount components nearby, leave it for a pro, if on the other hand it is all thru-hole components and you feel confident, go with the de-solder braid but make sure it is pre-fluxed. I recommend Multicore(brandname) braid. You wont lift a pad as long as you apply NO pressure and no movement with the tip of the iron and it is not too hot. Just lightly rest the de-solder wick over the 'blob', tin the iron tip with a SMALL amount of solder, and gently rest the tip onto the braid, the tip and braid will drop when the 'blob' melts, the 'blob' will squeeze out from under the braid a little, then the braid will suck it in. Be sure to replace any solder sucked from nearby thru-hole component leads.
MrBungle is offline Find More Posts by MrBungle
Old Jun 27, 2001, 10:13 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Ohhhh Boy.... Just got a E-mail back from Futaba Service and the "estimate" is $200.00+ to do the repairs. Desoldering wick will not work. Oh well, I really don't have the money for a new Stylas but it looks like a Futaba 8UAF will be in the mail shortly. Al, I did mention what happened this to the lady friend and she did not give much sympathy , oh well, all it takes is money. and now I can have all the functions work on the 3.6M ventus.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Jun 27, 2001, 09:00 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
A friend of mine owns a Surface Mount lab here in Austin. They do all kinds of SMT work. Interested in seeing if they can do anyhting about it? I'll check it out for you if you want.
Any chance of getting a pic of the offensive blob?

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247