SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2003, 05:39 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Li-Po Cell Rupture

Got a question for the group. I recently bought a 3 cell 950 mAh Li-Po battery from Wild R/C for my IFO, but after only 2 charge/discharge cycles one of the cells ruptured and leaked a blue fluid inside the pack (see the attached picture). The voltage of the two good cells is still 4.1V, but the bad cell is down to only 1.6V. I used the popular Wes-Tech charger to charge the pack, at the 3 cell setting with a current of only 450 mAh.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of cell failure? Is this problem most likely due to a defective cell or could something have gone wrong while charging it? My IFO has the stock power system (Speed 280, 10x4.7 prop, 4:1 gearbox) and pulls 2.7 amps, which is only a 3C discharge rate for this pack. That should be well within the capability of the pack.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2003, 06:20 PM
St. Louis Metro
Joined Apr 2003
2,440 Posts
Well, using a semi-educated guess...

I'd say it was a cell failure.

Reasoning:
1. If it was the charger, it would have wiped out the entire pack.
2. If it was too heavy of an amp draw, again, would have wiped out the entire pack.

However, it could have been an unequalized pack charge from the factory, thus causing the failure as well. Were the packs assembled at the dealer, or the factory? That's what I'd be asking the dealer.

Have you brought this up with the company you bought it from? That would have been the immediate thing to do.

WJ
WJ Birmingham is offline Find More Posts by WJ Birmingham
Old Jul 07, 2003, 08:08 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
As with any product, there are inevitably going to be some people who experience a failure right off the bat. There is simply no way to assure that every product that leaves the factory is in perfect condition.

If you can find that you did nothing wrong, then you can only conclude that you received a defective cell. It happens.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1