SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:02 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,653 Posts
Likely, you have 1 ESC that is defective!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:47 AM
Bombs Away...
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Nov 2009
262 Posts
well got mine last night and just waiting on the battery's to finish up the build
AL1EN is offline Find More Posts by AL1EN
Last edited by AL1EN; Sep 30, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:36 AM
Honey, it's just one more !
Ardmore, OK
Joined Dec 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Anyone have a stuttering motor at start with their G/Cruiser?

I'm getting my father's Cruiser checked over and ready for flight (waiting on retracts to arrive from Basil @ Grayson).

No matter what timing setting or start up mode (soft, etc) one motor stutters badly if you try to advance the throttle from "off" to "low idle." ESCs have been "learned" to WOT throttle, etc. but the stutter remains. If you give the prop a spin and then advance the throttle open a bit the motor spools up just fine.

I attached a loose esc from my stash to the stuttering motor and the motor works perfectly, so something in the one esc won't start the motor correctly. If you go from closed throttle to say 1/2 quickly, the motor will start up just fine. I've run each esc/motor combo on the watt meter and each produce identical numbers--about 18a each WOT on a fresh lipo. I think it will be fine in the air, but might be a pain on the ground.

Just wondered if anyone else had this experience??
Mine was doing exactly the same thing and it turned out to be the startup mode was set different on the ESC's. The ESC for the motor that was stuttering was set to "normal" and had to be changed to "soft" to get rid of the stutter. I know you said you have checked this, but you might want to run thru the ESC's programming menu again and make sure.
okie_1 is offline Find More Posts by okie_1
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:56 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
^ and do each esc on an individual basis as well. They can be plugged into power at the same time but when programming you must only have 1 plugged into the RX at a time.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:58 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
^ and do each esc on an individual basis as well. They can be plugged into power at the same time but when programming you must only have 1 plugged into the RX at a time.
good to know! I can't believe I made that mistake
darkside212 is offline Find More Posts by darkside212
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie_1 View Post
Mine was doing exactly the same thing and it turned out to be the startup mode was set different on the ESC's. The ESC for the motor that was stuttering was set to "normal" and had to be changed to "soft" to get rid of the stutter. I know you said you have checked this, but you might want to run thru the ESC's programming menu again and make sure.

Yep, tried all 3 start up modes on the escs.

With a typical outrunner like this (14 pole) the "normal" settings would be normal start up and high timing.

My stuttering motor works fine on a different esc (set to normal start up) so something in this one esc is wonky...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:16 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post

I actually programmed each esc with a programming card, but that's a good tip...
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:53 AM
Bombs Away...
Joined Nov 2009
262 Posts
Well mines almost done just need to get some better screws for the nose cones and connect my flap linkages and she ready for maiden.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:55 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's a video of my friend's Grand Cruiser (and a view other airplanes), shot from my Scarab quadcopter at RSA, CA. Enjoy!

MWC Carbon Scarab QuadOcta - The Rancho Dawn Patrol (2 min 15 sec)
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:41 AM
Bombs Away...
Joined Nov 2009
262 Posts
Thats an awesome video! Thanks for sharing that.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Questions on Dynam Grand Cruiser

Hello all,
Fairly new to the RC world and I am thinking of getting A Dynam GC. I have been flying a hawk sky for about 2 months now with little to no crashes.. Is the GC a good step up? The model I am looking at says it is nose steer able. Do I need to add a servo? Or is that done from factory? Model also has retracts, does that mean it comes with a 5ch TX?
bthomas1029 is offline Find More Posts by bthomas1029
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:22 PM
United States, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
162 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the radio that comes with the Grand Cruiser is only a 4 Ch. transmitter.. I believe the retract version is intended for those that have thier own transmitter with 5 or more channels.
As far as a possile 2nd airplane...personally, I would go with a high wing aileron trainer with a single motor before getting into the Cruiser.. Depending on how much flying time you have accumulated in the last 2 months of your RC experience, you may find out that the Cruiser will be much for you to confidently handle just yet.. Granted, it is a stable flyer, but still think you would be best to go to a 'trainer' type aircraft again to get the experience you need in the more 'full house' aircraft.
As far as the steering nose wheel..no extra servo required..it is hooked to the rudder servo with addition pushrod going to the nose wheel.
Wayne
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:44 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
the retract version does come with a 5 ch tx it also comes with flap hinges but no servos
for the flaps.
now if you want to use flaps and retracts at the same time you need to get a 6 ch tx
or choose one or the other if you stay with the 5 ch tx.

note.....be aware of how the servo knob works on the tx
it can cause some problems
ask me how i know
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:31 PM
United States, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
162 Posts
It here!!

Just received my Grand Cruiser from Grayson Hobbies this afternoon...naturally, I have been 'hidiing in the Dungeon' ever since it came, looking at all the goodies and deciding how I am going to make the modifications to it.. I ordered a spare set of landing gear for it..modifing the nose gear to use with retracts and still keep the scale looking struts..That was not too hard to do, but did have to add some brass tubing to the top 2/3 of the shaft in order to fit the retracts.. I will be using the ones for 5mm wire and needed to shim the gear for it to fit the retract unit.
Also adding two pilot figures in the cockpit, as well as full nav lights, two flashing strobes, Red beacon and Landing lights.
I will try and post some pictures of my progress starting tomorrow..since all I got done today was just figure out how I was going to mod this plane!
Wayne
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:47 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,286 Posts
Have fun Orvie6!

I finally have my father's GrandCruiser ready for flight. His ended up having one bad esc. It stuttered the motor on start up no matter what programming settings I tried. I tried the motor with 3 other escs I had on hand and it was smooth as could be. Grayson/Basil gave me the green light to resolder the bullets on the esc but no dice, still stuttered. I had a brand new Dynam 30a esc on hand so I soldered that in and it works perfectly now. I'll have to mail the dud esc back to Grayson for replacement.

I added the Dynam retract units to this bird and I sure wish he had bought the V2 of this plane instead!!

I also added a nose gear door as I didn't care for that gapping hole with the gear up. I'll see if I can add some pics/video for you all later...