Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
Registered User
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,195 Posts
John, Thanks for the great report. You had me a little worried with your first report. This 310 looks too good not to fly right. I already put the washers on the top mounts on both motors. How much thicker are the washers you used than the normal metal "rc" washers. Couple mm mabey? Again, thanks for all the helpful info. Anyone putting a different paint scheme on theirs?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Allelectric's Avatar
Sedona, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
John, Thanks for the great report. You had me a little worried with your first report. This 310 looks too good not to fly right. I already put the washers on the top mounts on both motors. How much thicker are the washers you used than the normal metal "rc" washers. Couple mm mabey? Again, thanks for all the helpful info. Anyone putting a different paint scheme on theirs?
Scott,

The washer is 1mm, about twice that of a metal washer that diameter. There is another blue and white scheme I may paint mine someday depending on how long the decals last. BTW, I thought I'd pass along my research on painting these EPO planes. I bought a Dynam A-10 in green camo but wanted to change it to the gray scheme. The green would peel off if I looked at it wrong! I got out the air hose, and finally the garden hose, and blew off all the green paint! None of it was actually bonded to the foam!

After considerable testing with different paints on a new Dynam Skybus wing, I found a good solution. Rustoleum makes a white primer called "plastic primer", and it works better than anything else I tried. Do not sand, just wipe down with some rubbing alcohol then spray one light coat. I tried to lift it with standard masking tape, and 95% stayed on the foam. The longer it dries, the better it sticks!

Back to the 310. I would be interested to hear everyone's reports about the speed of the plane. At 66, I'm not a speed freak, but I tend to fall asleep when a plane just wimps along. That was my impression of the stock setup. I'm really happy going with the sloflyer 8x6 props, I may play with that some more. You'll love making high speed passes right over your head, especially if you have retracts or no gear at all!

John
Allelectric is offline Find More Posts by Allelectric
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:04 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,437 Posts
I logged 17 flights on my Dynam Cessna 310 this weekend and really put it through it's paces. The verdict....this plane is a dream to fly and a real attention getter. Absolutely, no mods or changes to the stock aircraft. The landings are amazing. I literally kept the main gear an inch off the runway for several hundred feet during multiple approaches. Flaps are not need at all but would be a nice scale addition. The aircraft flies great with fixed gear but quality retracts would make it perfect. The wings are strong during numerous dives and tight, high speed turns. She also flies great inverted down on the deck. Ample power for great climbs and no bad tendencies. Changing the battery can be a pain with the antenna installed on top of the cockpit. I used cheap $14 2200mAh batteries from Hobby People and averaged conservative 9 minute flights per pack. I just ordered two more ARF versions for mods and new paint schemes.

Another winner from Dynam! I'm looking forward to their new Cessna Citation.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 80mm F-86
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:06 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Orion Pax's Avatar
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Which spinners are you using with those 2 blade props John?
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:34 PM
Registered User
Allelectric's Avatar
Sedona, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
I logged 17 flights on my Dynam Cessna 310 this weekend and really put it through it's paces. The verdict....this plane is a dream to fly and a real attention getter. Absolutely, no mods or changes to the stock aircraft. The landings are amazing. I literally kept the main gear an inch off the runway for several hundred feet during multiple approaches. Flaps are not need at all but would be a nice scale addition. The aircraft flies great with fixed gear but quality retracts would make it perfect. The wings are strong during numerous dives and tight, high speed turns. She also flies great inverted down on the deck. Ample power for great climbs and no bad tendencies. Changing the battery can be a pain with the antenna installed on top of the cockpit. I used cheap $14 2200mAh batteries from Hobby People and averaged conservative 9 minute flights per pack. I just ordered two more ARF versions for mods and new paint schemes.

Another winner from Dynam! I'm looking forward to their new Cessna Citation.

Best,
Tony
Would have liked to have seen a video of that! Skyking and his "niece" Penny, hanging upside-down as you flew inverted over the runway! Uh-ha, yes, funny how that "niece" thing went right over my head as a kid watching the old series! LOL! Anyone old enough to remember that?

I know what you mean about the antenna. I like the looks of it, but I know I'm going to forget the foam stand and break it off eventually, so I'm leaving it off for now. Something else I found about the nose gear, which may have contributed to my "bounce and go", is that the foam under the spring-loaded "shock" had not been relieved, so the strut would not collapse at all. Should have checked that when I installed it!

I'm looking forward to the Citation as well, but I'll wait for the airframe version. Should be saving my money (what's that?) for the new FMS/Airfield B-25! Can't believe they keep advertising the Citation with that clear canopy! Would look so much better if they would paint in fuselage part! Wish Dynam would make both the 310 and Citation a little larger, like 55". Now that would be two awesome planes!
Allelectric is offline Find More Posts by Allelectric
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:38 PM
Registered User
Allelectric's Avatar
Sedona, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Which spinners are you using with those 2 blade props John?
I'm not sure! They were just something I had in the old spinner drawer. Since the "backplate" is on the front of the prop, they probably came from HL a long time ago when I first got into electrics. My favorite for this application is the GP aluminum backed spinners, but I had just one.
Allelectric is offline Find More Posts by Allelectric
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:46 PM
Registered User
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
i am getting excited for mine to arrive! should be just another day or so, it is in customs right now. thanks to all for the great information posted so far.


rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:56 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Orion Pax's Avatar
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
This is insane! I bought mine on the 10th. It shipped from China on the 11th. It cleared customs Saturday. I could have Wednesday at the earliest but probably by the end of the week. Its a race Rob, see you at the finish.

Thanks John for the info on the spinners. My LHS has an assortment I may have to check out.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:43 PM
Registered User
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
see ya there, o.p! from past experience i often get it within a day or so of it getting through customs. for some reason it's still hung up there right now. usually it clears in a day. oh well...more time for the excitement to build!
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:03 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Orion Pax's Avatar
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Yeah, NY being the hub, your a bit closer than I am down here in the swamps.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:38 PM
Just "plane addicted"...
BacknRC's Avatar
Pennsylvania
Joined May 2010
73 Posts
Curious if anyone else here received their Grand Cruiser with WIRES pre-installed (coming from the wing tip tanks and rudder LED's).

Thx
BacknRC is offline Find More Posts by BacknRC
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:01 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Orion Pax's Avatar
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I will let you know as soon as I get mine.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:24 PM
Registered User
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,195 Posts
No wires in mine. Just the cheapo led's. Pre routed wire would have been nice, because getting the glued on covers off is a royal pain in the butt. I have no idea why they did that. Should have left it up to the owner IMO. The taped on cowls also bothered me, so I removed the double sided tape and now use magnents to attach my cowls. They work perfect now. I also cut down the fork on the nose gear and tapered it down to where the axle and tire mount. Painted it white to match the rest of the unit and used a smaller wheel/tire that is the correct scale size. I also replaced the main wheels that match the new front tire. Makes it look a whole lot better now.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:24 AM
Clean up! The missus is home
huntingfield's Avatar
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
594 Posts
Scott show us sme photos of you mods. I plan on getting this plane but will have to paint or clearcoat it ( hate my grubby fingerprints ).
huntingfield is online now Find More Posts by huntingfield
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:48 AM
Just "plane addicted"...
BacknRC's Avatar
Pennsylvania
Joined May 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
No wires in mine. Just the cheapo led's. Pre routed wire would have been nice, because getting the glued on covers off is a royal pain in the butt. I have no idea why they did that. Should have left it up to the owner IMO. The taped on cowls also bothered me, so I removed the double sided tape and now use magnents to attach my cowls. They work perfect now. I also cut down the fork on the nose gear and tapered it down to where the axle and tire mount. Painted it white to match the rest of the unit and used a smaller wheel/tire that is the correct scale size. I also replaced the main wheels that match the new front tire. Makes it look a whole lot better now.
Sounds like the same setup with the LED's.
I like that idea with the cowls and the magnets - much easier to get on and off.
BacknRC is offline Find More Posts by BacknRC
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold toyota land cruiser flynfred Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W) 0 Sep 27, 2010 05:48 PM
Discussion Groupner "Commodore" cabin cruiser oztruck Scale Boats 2 Sep 15, 2010 07:06 AM
Wanted controller for New Bright PT Cruiser jclush Cars - Accessories (FS/W) 0 Sep 11, 2010 12:31 PM
Sold Sea Cruiser II & Kadet Senior dls Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Sep 06, 2010 04:46 PM
Discussion Sterling 32' Cruiser or the Berkley 22' Express Cruiser RussellTate Scale Boats 15 Oct 26, 2009 09:41 PM