HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:28 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,074 Posts
FYI...If you are useing flaps and retracts you really need a seperate bec to handle that. They usually only reccomend no more than 4 servos on an esc..there are 6 + electric retracts...Then you disconnect the power lead on both esc..and use the switching bec..Now there some really good esc. with a high rate bec on them,, but this bird is not one..
I just love my bird with the stock props..Plenty fast to me.. I fly around a about half throttle..but I too had to add a 2mm washer for down thrust..
sanford
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
Modesto, California USA
Joined Jan 2004
732 Posts
I had a stock Dynam ESC burn. I pulled the cover off the good ESC and it is 40A. The NP site lists them as 25A. I can't tell what amp the burned one is, if it was a 25A or 40A.
Did anyone else get 40A or 25A ESC's, where mine mismatched or is the NP description inaccurant?
Holtenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Holtenbacker
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:41 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2011
276 Posts
Mine was shipped to me about 6 weeks ago.

I just checked and both are 25A.

Mine is a RTF version.

Neil
NeilDahl51 is offline Find More Posts by NeilDahl51
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:54 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,467 Posts
Mine were both 40A, as I had a problem with one of the originals I switched to BPHobbies and replaced with 30A ESC's.
It only pulls 32Amps in static testing so 2 25A esc's will actually be fine.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:03 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,783 Posts
Maiden Flight--FINALLY!

At last, a day here in Northern Alabama without TStorms, Tornados, and/or 25+ mph winds! What a great little airplane! Three clicks of down and 3 clicks of right aileron and she was hands-off straight and level. Slows down real nice (I did not use flaps) for nice scale like landings-mains then nose gear.

Sanman55 is correct about the elevator being quite sensitive..even with -30% expo. Balanced her at 55mm. I did test the flaps at a few mistakes high (good thing, I did)....they have way too much lift, even though I had 20% down elevator mixed. Gonna work on that for another day. Any input from others who use their flaps would be most welcome.

Mine was the RTF version, as Nitro was out of stock on the ReceiverReady one. It came with a pair of Dynam 30amp ESC's. One ESC only caused the motor to "beep" rapidly and NOT rotate. I re-programmed it, which fixed the problem. Also the BEC's in each ESC were active and connected to the channel 3 lead. I cut off the center pins to isolate and disable the BEC output from both ESC's in the suppled Y harness and installed a spare Turnigy 3amp UBEC. BTW, using the supplied 3/blade props, and no washers added (yet) for additional downthrust. Seems to fly a bit faster than "scale speed", anyway...good enough for me!

Now that I know that she flys really well, I'll install the E-Retracts next week.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:17 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Sanman55 is correct about the elevator being quite sensitive..even with -30% expo. Balanced her at 55mm. I did test the flaps at a few mistakes high (good thing, I did)....they have way too much lift, even though I had 20% down elevator mixed. Gonna work on that for another day. Any input from others who use their flaps would be most welcome.
bama..the retracts are a nice addition, although with 6 servo sand 3 electric retracts I would use a good switch mode bec and disregard the linear becs incorporated in the ESC's.

As far as the flaps, since we might not have the same transmitter I'll just say that I added 1/8" of down elevator movement to eliminate ballooning.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:08 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55 View Post
FYI...If you are useing flaps and retracts you really need a seperate bec to handle that. They usually only reccomend no more than 4 servos on an esc..there are 6 + electric retracts...Then you disconnect the power lead on both esc..and use the switching bec..Now there some really good esc. with a high rate bec on them,, but this bird is not one.
I just want to say I agree with this statement on all accounts but 1. That 1 is this 310. I did exactly what sanman posted here all the way down to pulling the red wire on the escs. This is S.O.P. for all of my planes but for some reason the on maiden, everything crapped out. After a generous give to 2 motors and escs from a friend I plugged it up as it came out of the box. No red wires pulled, no separate bec. Just plug and play. I have retracts and flaps in mine and I don't have glitch 1. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen but as long as its working I am happy. I am certain my tune will change if something craps out. LOL!

Orion

Bamaguy, Congrats on the maiden. Definitely get the retracts in. The Flaps allow the plane to almost hover in like a Supercub. 1/2 flaps is all you need. The big dump is just for show.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:39 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,074 Posts
Hey, if it ain't broke...... I just did it cause the bec is cheap and just good insurance..if something happens in the air its a little late in the game to say , oh I should have done this or that... Mine came with 40amp. esc's from graysonhobby

The retracts is the iceing on the cake..really makes it nice looking on those low fly bys...
Putting lites on the wings also adds a lot, on nose gear too...
I just can not say enough good on this diamond...
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Last edited by sanman55; Apr 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:48 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55 View Post
Hey, if it ain't broke...... I just did it cause the bec is cheap and just good insurance..if something happens in the air its a little late in the game to say , oh I should have done this or that... Mine came with 40amp. esc's from graysonhobby.
With you 100% on this. Its just odd that I had put on a $50 BEC and everything crapped out like it would without one and now I fly without one and its perfect. I always put in becs and this was the first time I had gotten a negative reaction from the plane for putting one in. One of those anomalies in life you don't expect and hope doesn't happen ever again.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:57 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Orion

Bamaguy, Congrats on the maiden. Definitely get the retracts in. The Flaps allow the plane to almost hover in like a Supercub. 1/2 flaps is all you need. The big dump is just for show.
Thanks, Orion. I've added a set of LED's..which sure makes for a lot of wire bundles up there, now when I add the retracts it will be a really dense jungle. Good thing is that once she is assembled with the wing attached, she fits in the back of my Caddy SRX!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Grand Cruiser retracts Hobbyfly.de

My retacts from hobbyfly.de:
sioannid is offline Find More Posts by sioannid
Last edited by sioannid; Apr 19, 2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: No title
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Grand Cruiser retracts Hobbyfly.de

And some details:
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Apr 2011
2 Posts
Thanks a lot for the photos, sioannid.

With the pdf and your photos I think I can integrate the retracts to my grand cruiser.

One question: Where die you get this part from and how is it called? I already saw a similar part in the pdf but I don't know where to get it...

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Thomas
plotzkella is offline Find More Posts by plotzkella
Last edited by plotzkella; Apr 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
For the metal part I used an old Allen 1,5mm wrench which I bent accordingly and glued it with 5min epoxy glue.
The plastic part I actually made it myself using a part from the body of my esky lama V4 as long as I was waiting for my order of the Nylon arms (look at the Pic).
Follow the link to find them: http://www.europemodels.eu/c_6_Model...ttings/page_3/
Last edited by sioannid; Apr 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:16 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
WOW! After adding 2 mm down thrust to the motors and going to 9x6x2 blade props I took it out today and I love it! Now that it's set up right I see why everyone loves this plane so much, it's an absolute dream to fly and should be even nicer when I get the retracts in. I'm going to try 8x6 props though as the 9x6 cut my flight times to around 4.5 minutes and the batteries got warmer than I like. Even without the flaps it slows down very nicely and gently touched on the mains then carried the nose a few feet, like I had been flying it for years. Dynam really hit a home run on this one.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz