HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:05 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
Last week the 310's trek through the clumpy grass tore off my glued on gear doors as well as the breaking the prop shaft.

I was at the LHS yesterday and noticed the PZ 109 gear doors with its attaching clips that looked like they woluld fit the 310, so I bought the package.
I had to cut the gear doors length down to fit as well as the portion that covered the wheel. The top attaching clip was part of the section that was cut to fit, but I just epoxied back on to retain both clips. It seemed to wotk out well with todays flights
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 10:42 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
OP...that would be me, congrats on the landing.

In my case I also touched down on one main and the nose wheel, and I thought I had it, until the 310 veered off the asphalt into the grass....also no damage but one of the prop blades caught a klump of grass and the shaft broke in two.

I've noticed when the gear retracted into the wing, the problem e-tract would emit the high tone, like it was stalled...and it probably was.
Then it would not lower the next cycle...or sometimes two or three cycles, I had to bend the strut so the gear would not bottom out before the e-tract travel was completed during retraction.

I flew the 310 4 flights this morining in 10 mph wind. In pre flight checks the same main gear emited the high tone once, then after several more tries it stopped after I bend the strut just a bit more.

So today was the first day of flying the 310 with no mishaps...
I will double check and make sure I am not rubbing anywhere. 20 MPH winds today so no flying for me.

Just a tip on landing, in a gear up situation I suggest to automatically go for the grass. The pavement is hard and will sand the foam off and the grass is soft..er and more forgiving. With 3 blade props and that lower fin, belly landing is out for me. Grass doesn't let you roll as far so the sanding of the foam that you get with pavement is nothing more than a green stain on the wing tip.

Quote:
Last week the 310's trek through the clumpy grass tore off my glued on gear doors as well as the breaking the prop shaft.

I was at the LHS yesterday and noticed the PZ 109 gear doors with its attaching clips that looked like they woluld fit the 310, so I bought the package.
I had to cut the gear doors length down to fit as well as the portion that covered the wheel. The top attaching clip was part of the section that was cut to fit, but I just epoxied back on to retain both clips. It seemed to wotk out well with todays flights
Those doors look great on that plane. Good find and thanks for sharing.

Did you get the motors in? I went ahead and sent you both. I couldn't tell just from hand spinning them which one was bent but once you get the shaft out you can roll it and see it easily.

Sanman, I wish I had it on video. I had shot video earlier but it was not coming out all that well. I am still trying to find the best setting possible for flying.

Something else I noticed was that the plane flies just fine at 1/4 throttle. I can't believe it but it keeps churning along smooth and steady. A little more practice and I will be able to hover land it like I do the Supercub. Non emergeny related that is.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:37 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Those doors look great on that plane. Good find and thanks for sharing.

Did you get the motors in? I went ahead and sent you both. I couldn't tell just from hand spinning them which one was bent but once you get the shaft out you can roll it and see it easily.

Orion
OP.....Thanks, I just got lucky with the gear doors. I should have cleaned up the back side of them...but I was in a rush to finish.

I didn't get the motors yet, but I lucked out after reading sanford and rob's suggestion for alternate prop shafts, as I had an old tower pro motor from an art tech cessna a few years ago....it fit so I used it. It might have been slightly bent so I straigthened as best I could, until a good replacement arrives.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:01 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2011
273 Posts
Quote:

Like the gear doors...

I used my cruiser as a meat cutter... made thin sliced deli meat out of the top of my forearm ... and of course broke the prop shaft

Where can I get a replacement motor or shaft?

Also I noticed that you have put in retracts. Should you add a BEC when adding Flaps and Retracts and if so what Amp rating... would you recommend?

Thanks

Neil
NeilDahl51 is offline Find More Posts by NeilDahl51
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:34 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilDahl51 View Post
Like the gear doors...

I used my cruiser as a meat cutter... made thin sliced deli meat out of the top of my forearm ... and of course broke the prop shaft

Where can I get a replacement motor or shaft?

Also I noticed that you have put in retracts. Should you add a BEC when adding Flaps and Retracts and if so what Amp rating... would you recommend?

Thanks

Neil
Neil.....The motor is available from Grayson Hobby and NitroPlanes, but I believe there both out of stock.
A replacement prop shaft is available from Grayson Hobby...as we can thank Sanman for that one.

I would definately add a seperate BEC with the addition of retracts and flaps, or any foamie with more then 4 servos.
As far as Switchmode BEC's go, any BEC rated over 3A's is fine. I tested the Cessna by moving all control surfaces while retracting the gear and lowering the flaps and pulled 1.44 amps
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:09 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Finally

I finally got to fly her this weekend up in the NC Mtns.(Murphy NC) What a blast. There is nothing bad about this plane.I was trying to fly as slow and as scale as possible, so I dropped the flaps. They allowed me to chop the throttle a tad more, giving me a slightly longer flight time. The moment I felt the batts getting even a little sluggish I brought her in. Flight times were at a little over 6 mins. Batts had in the 3.8's on all 3 cells.
As with any plane being flown real slow, care must be taken to "gas it" a bit in the turns.

Thanks LI for the gear door tip. Thats a stealer
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Apr 04, 2011, 11:16 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,613 Posts
Has anyone put larger wheels in their 310? Seems like those wheels are a bit small to operate off grass.

Gear doors are a nice touch. Would be even nicer to add the other half of the door for the mains as well as nose wheel doors. Would need to spring load them open, and use the retract struts to hold them closed. Just posing the idea for now. I haven't even ordered retracts yet.

Roger
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Apr 04, 2011, 01:48 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I wouldn't recommend retracts on this plane if your grass field is any rougher than a putting green. The wheels can handle it but the struts will bend over time and the retracts can be damaged from the rough terrain as well.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 03:08 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
OP...received the motors today...thanks so much...
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:02 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Your very welcome
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:43 PM
Gravity always wins . . .
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post

Gear doors are a nice touch. Would be even nicer to add the other half of the door for the mains as well as nose wheel doors. Would need to spring load them open, and use the retract struts to hold them closed. Just posing the idea for now. I haven't even ordered retracts yet.

Roger
Hey Roger, you must have read my mind. I'm working on precisely that idea. I've been working on a way to keep it simple, easy to build, and reliable at the same time (KISS). I haven't physically built anything yet but I have the entire build in my head. I'm still in the process of building my plane and haven't gotten that far yet. I do have the flaps and retracts installed and I'm currently working on the lights right now.

Corky
Corky65 is offline Find More Posts by Corky65
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:43 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
611 Posts
Well after getting some insight about the retracts on my grand cruiser I have decided to shelve mine indefinitely. Gonna throw on the top shelf of the closet or sell it. I pulled my eflite retracts out and those are going in another project. I just can't get excited to finish it. Not happy with the retract setup and I am just tired of messing with it.

If anyone is interested in buying and finishing her up just let me know. I will post some pictures of what I have done so far and you can decide. All I have really done is glue on the tip tanks and put a plywood mounting plate for the nose gear. Decals, vert and horz stab haven't been mounted and the decal sheet is untouched. Hardware is still in the bags.
pylot2b is offline Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Apr 06, 2011, 05:56 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Well after getting some insight about the retracts on my grand cruiser I have decided to shelve mine indefinitely. Gonna throw on the top shelf of the closet or sell it. I pulled my eflite retracts out and those are going in another project. I just can't get excited to finish it. Not happy with the retract setup and I am just tired of messing with it.

If anyone is interested in buying and finishing her up just let me know. I will post some pictures of what I have done so far and you can decide. All I have really done is glue on the tip tanks and put a plywood mounting plate for the nose gear. Decals, vert and horz stab haven't been mounted and the decal sheet is untouched. Hardware is still in the bags.
Common, just build the plane without retract and flap, you won't be sorry.
Add flap and retract when you have time.
It does not take long at all. 2 hours at the most.
whatala is offline Find More Posts by whatala
Old Apr 06, 2011, 09:30 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Sunset cruise

Shot tonight about 815pm in North Atlanta. After being banished from this field for the last 10 months, we were finally able to return this week(.I had to kiss the pinkie ring of the owners, but it's only 1.5 miles away.
I'm bummed you cant see the nav lights on the film.In person you can see them just fine. Aside from the esc cover on one side that kept coming off it was a blast.

Dynam C-310 Sunset Cruise (3 min 52 sec)
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:43 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,243 Posts
NW...nice vid...can't wait till it gets that warm up here ...LOL

Looks like ya got her dialed in pretty good, and the lights look awesum flying at dusk.
I use a DX7 and had to mix in some slight down elevator when deploying flaps to keep my 310 from balooning up...other then that she's like flying a trainer.
RCG Plus Member