HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:48 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,787 Posts
It is a great looking plane.....it is on my short list as well. If she flies 1/2 as nice as she looks, it will be a sweet bird.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:46 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
mine is on the way, philip shipped the plane the same day i ordered it. i gave up on grayson as they delay seems indefinate as far as them getting it in stock.
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:10 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Is anyone using external BEC's that have added two servos for the flaps? Do you think it is needed? Anyone know what type of BEC is in the 40 amp speed controllers? Linear or switch-mode, and rated for how many amps?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:26 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Hoping to get one real soon. I love this plane and I am glad to see one finally offered. Looks like I missed out on the first run of these things so I will have to live through you guys for now. Tony, the plane looks great and I know you are letting your daughter fly it. My daughter loves flying my planes and she wants this one as bad as I do. Please tell me it flies as good as it looks and some flight video would be very much appreciated. It will keep me going while I wait for mine. Oh and I see you added lights in yours Tony. Which ones did you use and how hard were they to get behind the lens?

Orion

Scott, a good rule of thumb is if there are more than 4 servos then using a BEC is a good idea. Not sure of the specs on the esc's but I will be adding one to mine when I get it.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Nov 10, 2010, 02:23 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
OK I know I said I was going to have to wait a while but I talked to Philip over @ PW-RC.com. He has one of these that is fully loaded for $199+shipping. He takes the time out of his day to put the extra stuff into the plane. I like to build and so he is going to send me one of these packages with retracts and flaps ready to install. Saved him some time and saved me a little too. He is shipping it out and I will have one here hopefully in time for Thanksgiving so I have something to build while I am off from work.

Thank you Philip and I can't wait to get it in, build it and share with you guys.

Jason
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:14 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Orion

Scott, a good rule of thumb is if there are more than 4 servos then using a BEC is a good idea. Not sure of the specs on the esc's but I will be adding one to mine when I get it.
I was wondering if one CC Bec would do the trick, or if we needed one for each speed controller. I suppose we would need to disconnect the red wire on both speed controllers either way?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:26 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Yes that is correct. I have a P-38 that I have 9 servos and 3 servoless retracts in and full set of lights and I use 1 CC BEC and remove the red wire off of both escs.

I talked to Philip at PW-RC and asked him about the BEC and he said that the servoless retracts and the flaps servos don't pull much power but it would be great insurance to have a BEC installed. So I am installing one on mine when it gets here.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:35 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,167 Posts
Onion Pax, I looked on his site and the US was not listed as a country where he could ship. How is he shipping, and what is the cost?

Roger
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:54 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Shipping is $46 to USA air parcel. I think you have to sign up for an account to get to the shipping info.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:02 PM
when in doubt Epoxy!!!!
Anaheim Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2009
113 Posts
Nitroplanes shipping is only like $9!!
tesla000 is offline Find More Posts by tesla000
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:21 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
You are correct...However, NP wants $189 + $9 shipping for the plane without retracts or flaps. That's $198 right?

Philip @ PW-RC wants $149 + Shipping which is $46. SO that comes to $195 and the plane will be here in a week to 2 weeks.

I am not knocking Nitro planes but they are out of stock right now and Philip over at PW-RC.com is excellent with communication and he has them in stock, ready to ship.

Save $3 and get a plane, or wait and spend $3 more. Its really not the money so much as who has it in stock. Oh and you can get a fully loaded one for $199 and Philip installs it all for you. That was another big decision maker for me. He had all the goodies I wanted in hand.

Orion
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:47 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Orion, Thanks for the info on your setup. I think its better to be safe than sorry. I had convinced myself that the flap servos would not be that much more of a load, but for an extra $20 the insurance is well worth it. I would have preferred the flaps to be split like the full scale 310, but I do love the cool "fowler type" hinge setup they used in the kit as they are typical of most of the single engine Cessnas.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:18 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
You know Scott, it wouldn't be hard to make them split flaps like the real one. You wont have to change hinges or anything mechanical. Just sand down the top of the flap and glue in a .010 sheet of styrene. This way the top of the wing is static and the bottom being the flap can move like it is suppose to.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:25 AM
Sedona, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
286 Posts
Structural Mods

This is a beautiful plane, no doubt. But, it has some structural issues I thought I'd pass along. Maiden flight was a little hairy because it needed a lot of down trim to get it to cruise level (watch Nitro video takeoff). I had the CG set at the forward dimension of 55mm, so this puzzled me. Perhaps some down thrust is in order? I fly at 4,000 feet altitude, so it needed almost full throttle for even a minimum cruise speed. But wait, there's more!

Once I got it trimmed out and flying hands off, I decided to do a touch and go. It had a slight bounce to the "touch" part, so I gave it full throttle for the "go" part. Unbeknownst to me, the right motor mount had come unglued (out of line of sight), and when I hit the throttle, the motor flew back over the wing, cutting up the wing and fuselage. Of course, with just the left motor operating, it did a wingover from about two feet. The wing broke in three pieces!

What I found was 1) they use hot glue on the motor mounts just like they did on the elevator joiner, and 2) there is no continuous spar through the center connecting the left and right sides of the wing. The are just a couple of little plastic strips embedded in the foam that stop short of the fuselage. One side of the wing broke through the retract wheel well. When I looked at the cross section of the wing, I realize how truly weak it is through that area.

I think even without the motor coming mount unglued, the wing is still a disaster waiting to happen. It's ready to fly again, but I made some mods I'd like to pass along. I removed the other motor mount and used epoxy to glue them both back in. I cut a groove along the rear of the front plastic strip and inserted some 1/8" lite ply to create a spar. I joined the two halves together in the center with a 3rd piece. It took very little time, weighs 14 grams, and is strong as a 2x4 now!

Good luck to all. I would like to hear your impressions once you fellas get yours into the air!

John
Allelectric is offline Find More Posts by Allelectric
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allelectric View Post
This is a beautiful plane, no doubt. But, it has some structural issues I thought I'd pass along. Maiden flight was a little hairy because it needed a lot of down trim to get it to cruise level (watch Nitro video takeoff). I had the CG set at the forward dimension of 55mm, so this puzzled me. Perhaps some down thrust is in order? I fly at 4,000 feet altitude, so it needed almost full throttle for even a minimum cruise speed. But wait, there's more!

Once I got it trimmed out and flying hands off, I decided to do a touch and go. It had a slight bounce to the "touch" part, so I gave it full throttle for the "go" part. Unbeknownst to me, the right motor mount had come unglued (out of line of sight), and when I hit the throttle, the motor flew back over the wing, cutting up the wing and fuselage. Of course, with just the left motor operating, it did a wingover from about two feet. The wing broke in three pieces!

What I found was 1) they use hot glue on the motor mounts just like they did on the elevator joiner, and 2) there is no continuous spar through the center connecting the left and right sides of the wing. The are just a couple of little plastic strips embedded in the foam that stop short of the fuselage. One side of the wing broke through the retract wheel well. When I looked at the cross section of the wing, I realize how truly weak it is through that area.

I think even without the motor coming mount unglued, the wing is still a disaster waiting to happen. It's ready to fly again, but I made some mods I'd like to pass along. I removed the other motor mount and used epoxy to glue them both back in. I cut a groove along the rear of the front plastic strip and inserted some 1/8" lite ply to create a spar. I joined the two halves together in the center with a 3rd piece. It took very little time, weighs 14 grams, and is strong as a 2x4 now!

Good luck to all. I would like to hear your impressions once you fellas get yours into the air!

John
Sorry to hear that.....glad you have her back together.

Thanks for the warning.....DYNAM needs to pay attention to your findings and apply new fabrication methods across their line of planes.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1