HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:21 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Tony....you know we are gonna need retracts to COMPLETE this bird. Tell us if you find any.....Enjoy.
Yeah..this first one I'll keep stock for a while. Once I get the second one from Grayson, I'll be adding retracts, flaps, lights, cockpit & pilots. After seeing this Cessna 310 fly at Big Jolt, my daughter will have no problem flying this bird.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:23 PM
when in doubt Epoxy!!!!
Anaheim Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2009
113 Posts
Heheehehe this tony's not the Nitroplane Tony, guys....
tesla000 is offline Find More Posts by tesla000
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:49 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla000 View Post
Heheehehe this tony's not the Nitroplane Tony, guys....
Anyone on the forums knows this Tony.... he is tight with Pete at the OTHER place that sells planes too.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:00 PM
when in doubt Epoxy!!!!
Anaheim Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2009
113 Posts
Hehehee your the banana Tony........ I remember you!!! U were at the jolt and we were watching the fire planes!!!
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:00 PM
when in doubt Epoxy!!!!
Anaheim Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2009
113 Posts
Drop retardent that is.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:31 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
I"m having some issues with the supplied 2.4g radio system. See post #890 here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...skybus&page=60

The "Cruiser" arrived yesterday and it looks very nice. It will be easy to customize the look as none of the stickers are applied. The motors, esc's, and servos appear to be the same as used in my Dynam Skybus and have performed very nicely for over 40 flights in that plane.

I won't get a chance to built it untill after Thanksgiving but I'll be following this discussion to see how others are doing with it.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Nov 06, 2010, 02:15 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
I've discovered some interesting and important things about the 2.4G radio system supplied with the cruiser. See post #895 here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...skybus&page=60

I ran some power tests on the motors with the stock props and got these figures:
359 watts at 31.7 amps power draw using the stock 8x6 three blade props turning 9820 rpm.

This gives 2.99 lbs of thrust (calculated) and should give VERY strong performance. It could almost be considered overpowered for a sport/scale plane with an AUW of only 2.67 lbs.

I'd love to get it put together and give it a try but I'm leaving town for a couple of weeks. It will give me something to look forward to when I return!
Last edited by dbc; Nov 06, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 01:11 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,253 Posts
I'm very impressed with mine as I was the DC-3. Yes, same power system as the DC-3. I love the 3 blade props that came with it. Very nice construction and design. They would do great on the DC-3 and I wish we could find them somewhere to purchase. Paint on the top of the vertical stab is very easy to remove. The flaps are going to be neat although not needed. There is no building with the kit just as there is no building with any ARF on the market, just a few assembly steps. Will take longer to apply the decals than anything, if one decides to use them. Mine came with led's installed, but they are not worth the plastic their moulded out of. Will need to install a better brighter lighting system. Retracts will be a no brainer, as the set im using will pratically bolt right in place.
This is going to be one nice foamie 310. You guys are going to love yours.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Nov 08, 2010, 01:12 AM
Just "plane addicted"...
Pennsylvania
Joined May 2010
73 Posts
Just got my Grand Cruiser on Friday from NP. Great looking plane. I found a slight issue with the nose gear. From most pictures I have seen of the Cessna 310, the (shock absorber bracket/strut - for lack of a better term) should point forward toward the nose of the plane. The way the steering arm is mounted on the nose gear forces you to install the nose gear with the (shock absorber bracket/strut) facing the tail of the plane.

Wondering if anyone has found this same issue?

Also I have the same chrome plated spinners as Tony had found. Would like to get some white spinners. Besides that, this is one nice looking plane.
BacknRC is offline Find More Posts by BacknRC
Last edited by BacknRC; Nov 08, 2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:02 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Yeah..this first one I'll keep stock for a while. Once I get the second one from Grayson, I'll be adding retracts, flaps, lights, cockpit & pilots. After seeing this Cessna 310 fly at Big Jolt, my daughter will have no problem flying this bird.

Best,
Tony
Tony - Philip at PW-RC has retracts for it... looks sweet on his site.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:40 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
I got mine assembled yesterday with no real issues. But I do have a couple of concerns.

The compression strut linkage is toward the rear, as mentioned above, but I'm more concerned about the durability of the strut's steering and mounting arrangments.

The assembly and it's mount are a little delicate and may not stand up to much more than near-perfect landings. Also the very thin steering pushrod is unsupported for several inches at the servo end and the steering horn end. This allows lots of flex and the good chance of the steering horn rotating 180 degrees on a rough landing.

The mounting brackets for the nose and main gears are small, square plastic pieces glued to the foam. They aren't large enough to spread the forces over a large area and will probably be easy to break out.

I don't care for the chrome plastic spinners either, but I was able to get them to run true and the prop/ spinner balanced nicely with a little adjusting.

The main components of the airframe are nicely finished and assembled with no problems and excellent alignment. Only gluing is the wing tanks. Wing and tail secured with nicely designed screw mounts.

Aside from my gear concerns (and 2.4g radio issues posted above), I think this is an extremely nice foamy, one of the best I've seen.

These impressions are prior to flying the model and are based only on what I've seen. I've got high expectations for it's flight characteristics, but I won't be able to maiden it for a couple of weeks.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:09 AM
when in doubt Epoxy!!!!
Anaheim Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2009
113 Posts
Sand the spinner, it's white underneith, that's what Tony did.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:15 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,896 Posts
Too many Tony's on here! LOL I'm Edwards AFB Tony!

Here's a few photos of the Dynam Cessna 310/Grand Cruiser. Still have some painting to do but it is coming along.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:16 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Tony - Philip at PW-RC has retracts for it... looks sweet on his site.
Thanks for the heads up!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:25 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
i just ordered one from philip at pw-rc. can't wait for it to arrive!

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737