HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:53 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Hu View Post
I placed the switch in the nose wheel well with extra foam and hot glue. Test to make sure it's at the right height to activate the switch without causing the gear to bind and overload. The wheel just hits the switch enough to push the lever.
This is the switch I used from Radio Shack.
http://tinyurl.com/c87qz57
There are 3 posts on the bottom. Use a multimeter to test which 2 to use for switch up=lights on, switch down=lights off.
The RC Lander unit comes with a slide on/off swtich for the landing lights which I replaced with the micro lever switch.
I received the lever switchs from Radio Shack. How did you wire these switches with your landing lights? Appreciate the technical detail. Thanks.
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:42 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined May 2011
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
I received the lever switchs from Radio Shack. How did you wire these switches with your landing lights? Appreciate the technical detail. Thanks.
All you need to do is:
1) use a multimeter or other device to see which 2 of the 3 pins on the switch is on when the switch is not depressed and off when it is depressed.
2) solder extension wires to those pins long enough to reach from inside the plane to where you want to place the switch.
3) Locate the wires for the landing lights. On my system it was plug #3 and it is a Y connector from the plug out to the 2 landing lights.
4) Cut ONE of the wires before the Y split and solder the wires from the switch to the cut ends.
5) Install the switch where you want (mine is in the nose wheel well) checking to make sure it is at the correct height for the switch to activate, turning the lights off when the gear is up and you're done.
Fei Hu is offline Find More Posts by Fei Hu
Last edited by Fei Hu; Jan 19, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:59 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,846 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Hu View Post
All you need to do is:
1) use a multimeter or other device to see which 2 of the 3 pins on the switch is on when the switch is not depressed and off when it is depressed.
2) solder extension wires to those pins long enough to reach from inside the plane to where you want to place the switch.
3) Locate the wires for the landing lights. On my system it was plug #3 and it is a Y connector from the plug out to the 2 landing lights.
4) Cut ONE of the wires before the Y split and solder the wires from the switch to the cut ends.
5) Install the switch where you want (mine is in the nose wheel well) checking to make sure it is at the correct height for the switch to activate, turning the lights off when the gear is up and you're done.
You are fast! Thank You - I will try to get it done tomorrow ;-)
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:35 AM
Gravity always wins . . .
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Hey Guys, I was going to use a mini cylindrical magnetic proximity switch to activate my landing lights. It would wire the same as Fei Hu's diagram. It works like the magnetic switch on a home door or window alarm. I ended up using the NightFly 14 LED controller from RC Lights so the switch is already built in. I also replaced all the LED's with 3mm and 5mm super brights and added a few.

http://rc-lights.com/

http://www.mcmaster.com/#harsh-envir...itches/=l4me2k
Switch #4 PN-65985K15
Corky65 is offline Find More Posts by Corky65
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
i flew my GC again the other day for some relatives who were visiting, and it flew SO NICE!!! its the best its ever flown, now that i have it all dialed in. im going to have to go & figure out how to operate my keychain cam again, cause i tried to capture a couple of the flights, but it didnt work. my uncle has caught the "rc flyin" bug though. says that when he gets to oklahoma, he's going to get him a plane & learn to fly. so thats a good thing. i always enjoy seeing someone else get interested in the hobby.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:18 PM
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Well guys, I finished my GC about year ago and finally got around to gettin' some pics and did some taxi runs up and down my street tonight. I still haven't maidened her yet. I think I was afraid to fly her after putting in so much work. But I am going to maiden her soon. This is a Gen I with E-Flight retracts and servo slowed flaps. You can't see all the lights that are working in a still photo. There are double flash white strobes on the wing tips that flash at a slightly faster rate than the red strobe on the tail and a red rotating beacon on the belly. Will try to get a video soon.
Last edited by Corky65; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:50 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky65 View Post
Well guys, I finished my GC about year ago and finally got around to gettin' some pics and did some taxi runs up and down my street tonight. I still haven't maidened her yet. I think I was afraid to fly her after putting in so much work. But I am going to maiden her soon. This is a Gen I with E-Flight retracts and servo slowed flaps. You can't see all the lights that are working in a still photo. There are double flash white strobes on the wing tips that flash at a slightly faster rate than the red strobe on the tail and a red rotating beacon on the belly. Will try to get a video soon.
Wing tip lights look great.. (well the whole plane does, but you know...)
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:51 AM
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
. . . my uncle has caught the "rc flyin" bug though. says that when he gets to oklahoma, he's going to get him a plane & learn to fly. so thats a good thing. i always enjoy seeing someone else get interested in the hobby.
Way cool! Is he getting a Champ?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:53 AM
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
!!!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:55 AM
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Wing tip lights look great.. (well the whole plane does, but you know...)
Thanks Cocg!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:05 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky65 View Post
I still haven't maidened her yet. I think I was afraid to fly her after putting in so much work. But I am going to maiden her soon..
If you are really anything more than a novice, you can fly her. Remember, it is a bigger and heavier bird than your typical foamy so you have to handle her more like a real plane. Once airborn, she is an easy plane to fly. If you haven't flown trike gear before, shoot a couple of practice approaches and remember to flair so you land on the mains first.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:22 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Very nice clean light installation Corky. They look great, but I think you might blind yourself with those landing lights.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
651 Posts
motor question

Hi -- Can the stock motor and esc take 4 cells? Thanks.

David

p.s. nice light installation!
dno264 is offline Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:05 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dno264 View Post
Hi -- Can the stock motor and esc take 4 cells? Thanks.

David

p.s. nice light installation!
No, not for very long
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:44 AM
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys.
This was my second plane six months after I got my Champ. When I saw it, I fell in love with it and just went all out on her. I sinse moved on to more complex 4ch aircraft before I finished her. I guess I was a little intimidated at first and it just stuck with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr View Post
If you are really anything more than a novice, you can fly her. Remember, it is a bigger and heavier bird than your typical foamy so you have to handle her more like a real plane. Once airborn, she is an easy plane to fly. If you haven't flown trike gear before, shoot a couple of practice approaches and remember to flair so you land on the mains first.

Jim
Thanks for the tips Jim. All my models have conventional gear but all my tricycle gear experience is in FS aircraft. So I land all my models the same way as FS and it's worked out so far. If she'lI fly slow enough to stay ahead of 'er I should be ok.