1,638 Posts
oh baby, baby!!!!! believe i got it. thanks for the help
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:34 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined May 2011
125 Posts
I need some advice in how to get all the wires through the wing and still get the foam plug back in place. I added flaps and wing tip lights and there are so many wires running through the channel that the foam sticks out 1/8 inch and the magnets on the foam won't hold. Any suggestions?
Fei Hu is offline Find More Posts by Fei Hu
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:40 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Hu View Post
I need some advice in how to get all the wires through the wing and still get the foam plug back in place. I added flaps and wing tip lights and there are so many wires running through the channel that the foam sticks out 1/8 inch and the magnets on the foam won't hold. Any suggestions?
Carve a channel out of the foam plug for the excess thickness of your wire bundle.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,638 Posts
i used some tape to hold the wires down, and snug. then carved a light channel in the wing plug so it would fit down flush
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:34 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Naval Warfare, I'm confused, is this pre or post motor swap? Either way, very nice flight!

Post motor swap on the first video. The sunset video was pre swap.
The lights are from nito planes.. Thanks for the kind words on me flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj3cub View Post
Sounds like you have some serious vibration issues in the above posted video. Are the props balanced?
It's the stock spinners throwing shet out of balance that yer hearing
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:32 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
Joined May 2011
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
i used some tape to hold the wires down, and snug. then carved a light channel in the wing plug so it would fit down flush
Wow! What a neat and tidy job. I admire your patience. I have a bunch of wires but I made it better using a few dabs of hot glue to hold everything together. Not as neat as you but it'll work.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:34 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
Joined May 2011
125 Posts
Here's my final product with the lights installed. One problem though. When I put the red/green lights in the wing tips, they worked. Plug in everything else and the green one quits. That's twice and I can't figure it out.

DSCF0173 (0 min 26 sec)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:39 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,603 Posts
Very cool indeed. Curious as to how you made the landing lights switchable with the gear on channel 5
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:06 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Hu View Post
Here's my final product with the lights installed. One problem though. When I put the red/green lights in the wing tips, they worked. Plug in everything else and the green one quits. That's twice and I can't figure it out.

http://youtu.be/KxzifAPPBvw
Very nice indeed!

I am also curious how you did your switch for the landing lights. I really want to do the same ;-) I will appreciate it if you could provide the details, the switch type, where you bought it and etc. Thanks in advance!.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:35 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
Joined May 2011
125 Posts
I placed the switch in the nose wheel well with extra foam and hot glue. Test to make sure it's at the right height to activate the switch without causing the gear to bind and overload. The wheel just hits the switch enough to push the lever.
This is the switch I used from Radio Shack.
http://tinyurl.com/c87qz57
There are 3 posts on the bottom. Use a multimeter to test which 2 to use for switch up=lights on, switch down=lights off.
The RC Lander unit comes with a slide on/off swtich for the landing lights which I replaced with the micro lever switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Very nice indeed!

I am also curious how you did your switch for the landing lights. I really want to do the same ;-) I will appreciate it if you could provide the details, the switch type, where you bought it and etc. Thanks in advance!.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
470 Posts
Sweet Fei Hu! Planned on doing a similar paint scheme. We are going to do the bottom of the fuse, tip tanks and top of vertical all red. I also like the lights, but swore I'd never install another set. I would like to utilize the ones that come with it if I could figure out how to hook them up. Hope to see a maiden sometime soon
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:27 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Sweet Fei Hu! Planned on doing a similar paint scheme. We are going to do the bottom of the fuse, tip tanks and top of vertical all red. I also like the lights, but swore I'd never install another set. I would like to utilize the ones that come with it if I could figure out how to hook them up. Hope to see a maiden sometime soon
RC flying - don't bother hooking up the ones that come with the kit - they are very weak and you can't see them, even in the dark. If you want to go through the work of installing the, just replace them with ones from Hobby King or other brighter lighting systems. I made this mistake and had to redo teh whole thing as I was not happy with teh light quality of the stock setup. My 2 cent for you.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:32 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
RC flying - don't bother hooking up the ones that come with the kit - they are very weak and you can't see them, even in the dark. If you want to go through the work of installing the, just replace them with ones from Hobby King or other brighter lighting systems. I made this mistake and had to redo teh whole thing as I was not happy with teh light quality of the stock setup. My 2 cent for you.
Thank you Capt. I installed a set from headsuprc.com in my sons SR22. Even though they work, I don't think they were worth the time or money (nothing against headsup). They too are not very bright either. I was hoping a simple hook up of the pre-installed lights would give it a little WOW factor. No big deal.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff