Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:34 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Hu View Post
Of course it was a joke! That's why the sarcastic smiley face was there.
Sorry..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
A belated Merry Christmas everyone here, hope you guys had a wanderful day with the family and close friends as I have here.
Flew the GC this morning and loving it even more. The 2 Park 450 motors have arrived and now its just the Props I have to buy to get her going for now. Wish hobby king would restock the spinners soon.
Opened up the retracks for a check and found the gears and screws rather dry and covered with landing dust. Serviced all the 3 retracts as the long threaded rod that pulls the landing gear in were covered with dirt. It must be getting in from the hinge configuration when the wheels kicks the dirt while landing. Something to think about. The e-flite retracts are a better setup but you do pay heaps more for them.
Anybody fitted landing lights to this plan? Am thinking about it and will most likely be the next project on the plane.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Another quick question. Can the e-flite retracts fit the mounts on this model? My front retract is getting abit woofy and was wandering if this is possible.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:32 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
Another quick question. Can the e-flite retracts fit the mounts on this model? My front retract is getting abit woofy and was wandering if this is possible.
To fit the Eflite retracts you will have to modify them such that the mounting plate screws connect from the below the retract servo and not the top. But the Eflite retracts are not adjustable with regards to where you want the mounting plate to be located, above or below the servo. You will have to cut and etc. A better bet is to buy a replacement from HK such as:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5mm_Mount.html
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
To fit the Eflite retracts you will have to modify them such that the mounting plate screws connect from the below the retract servo and not the top. But the Eflite retracts are not adjustable with regards to where you want the mounting plate to be located, above or below the servo. You will have to cut and etc. A better bet is to buy a replacement from HK such as:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5mm_Mount.html
You r right. Too much messing around with mods on the eflite retracts. Have ordered the HK replacement instead.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
You r right. Too much messing around with mods on the eflite retracts. Have ordered the HK replacement instead.
Thats what i did as well. My probelm was that the retracts acted up when flying in cold weather so I replaced all three with ones manufactured by a company called pz servos, which is the one HK sells. The landing struts on the GC are 4mm and some of the servoless retracts are 5mm. Thats no problem, just open the old one, remove the part the strut attaches to and re-install in new servo. But make sure there is clearance for the nose wheel to rotate properly. I had to do this on mine. Good luck.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Thats what i did as well. My probelm was that the retracts acted up when flying in cold weather so I replaced all three with ones manufactured by a company called pz servos, which is the one HK sells. The landing struts on the GC are 4mm and some of the servoless retracts are 5mm. Thats no problem, just open the old one, remove the part the strut attaches to and re-install in new servo. But make sure there is clearance for the nose wheel to rotate properly. I had to do this on mine. Good luck.
Great info. thanks, will most certainly do so.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,223 Posts
Flew my GC several days ago. It was -5*C at the time. Everything worked just fine during both flights, including the retracts. It even sat in the cold for over 1/2 hour between flights.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
480 Posts
Hope everyone had a great Christmas. My son was lucky enough to get the GC. I'm going to go ahead and add the spar from nacelle to nacelle. I don't see much need in going from wing tip to wing tip. A friend flew his yesterday and I was very impressed. Can't wait to get little man's airborne!
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Flew my GC several days ago. It was -5*C at the time. Everything worked just fine during both flights, including the retracts. It even sat in the cold for over 1/2 hour between flights.
You have stock retracts? If so, they must have fixed teh problems they had previously. I know many people who have experienced the CWS (Cold Weather Syndrome) with their Dynam planes (TurboJet and Grand Cruiser).
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:00 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,223 Posts
Quote:
You have stock retracts? If so, they must have fixed teh problems they had previously. I know many people who have experienced the CWS (Cold Weather Syndrome) with their Dynam planes (TurboJet and Grand Cruiser).
All stock. Don't when it was produced but I waited till the GC came with retracts before I bought it. I saw the Grayson Hobby YouTube vid on adding retracts. Didn't like the idea.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:41 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
All stock. Don't when it was produced but I waited till the GC came with retracts before I bought it. I saw the Grayson Hobby YouTube vid on adding retracts. Didn't like the idea.
You are lucky since both my Dynam planes that have factory installed servo less retracts have suffered from the cold weather problems. They would act up and not open or close. Not good when I had to land with two wheels once due to malfunctioning retracts. Since I swapped them over to the HKs I have flow a couple of times in cold weather and its working so far,
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
480 Posts
Pilot/Co-pilot?

Anyone know what size pilot figure will fit inside the GC? Would like to order online, but not sure of the size. Thanks.........
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:39 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined May 2011
125 Posts
OK, I've been lurking here a while, posting occasionally but now I have something to add. Here is my completed GC. I added RC Lander nav lights but the green wing tip light stopped working so I unplugged the red one too. The landing lights are on the leading edge of the wing, just outboard of the nacelles and there is a micro switch in the nose gear well to turn them off when the gear is up. The red strobes are 1 at the top of the vertical stab and 1 on the bottom of the fuselage. The anti-collision lights are on the center point of the wing tanks. My quest for good 3 blade spinners is on-going and because they are soo hard to find, I may go to 2 blade props. I can't wait to maiden this bird.
Fei Hu is offline Find More Posts by Fei Hu
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Looks nice. I agree, the stock spinners are not the best but with a bit of fine tuning and finesse (and not over-tightening), they look good and perform fine. Go fly!

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr