HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
1943 too.. Dah.. I needed to re read with the excitement.. ! Ha!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:16 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have just purchased and flown my GC about a month ago and love it to bits. Am a little shaky on the landings and must practice a little to get it right. Am actually after some advice as to the upgrade to the motors and prop. I have just purchased a turnigy Park 480 1300 kv motor with a 4 mm shaft and am wandering if I have made the right choice. The stock setup is a bit sluggish especially where the spinners are concerned. The stock motors have bent shafts on them making vibrate on WOT and can see the prop having a mind of its own one day which brings me back to a little assistace in this upgrade issue I am dealing with at the moment.
Thanking you guys in advance.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:25 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
Hello everyone,
I have just purchased and flown my GC about a month ago and love it to bits. Am a little shaky on the landings and must practice a little to get it right. Am actually after some advice as to the upgrade to the motors and prop. I have just purchased a turnigy Park 480 1300 kv motor with a 4 mm shaft and am wandering if I have made the right choice. The stock setup is a bit sluggish especially where the spinners are concerned. The stock motors have bent shafts on them making vibrate on WOT and can see the prop having a mind of its own one day which brings me back to a little assistace in this upgrade issue I am dealing with at the moment.
Thanking you guys in advance.
Perfect choice in motors. I upgraded mine a while back with these motors. Has a lot more get up and go
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Perfect choice in motors. I upgraded mine a while back with these motors. Has a lot more get up and go
Thanks HM,
Did you have a weight issue with these motors? And what size battery did they run on? I am planing to use a 2200 30 c battery but am contemplating increasing it if the weight isn't a problem.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:33 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
No, didn't have any weight issue. I fly mine on 3s2200 and 3s2650 both 30c. One of these days I want to see if I could use 3s3000
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:43 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
256 Posts
Quote:
Thanks HM,
Did you have a weight issue with these motors? And what size battery did they run on? I am planing to use a 2200 30 c battery but am contemplating increasing it if the weight isn't a problem.
The extra weight won't be a problem. I always fly my GC with a pair of 3s2200 40C packs in parallel for longer flight times. It's a tight squeeze in the battery compartment, but it works.

The extra weight greatly stabilizes the plane, especially in gusty conditions. (I've also reinforced the wing with a carbon-fiber arrow shaft.) It's quite fast and will do very high, long, full-powered loops.

Good luck,
-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:09 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,821 Posts
Red Baron,

Do you have the actual link to the Park 480 1300kv turnigy? I'm going to try the stock set-up for a while but I agree, these shafts are a weak point. Prop vibration on a twin is not good. The spinners are also a weak point. Chrisgo found some nice aluminum spinners that looked promising.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Red Baron,

Do you have the actual link to the Park 480 1300kv turnigy? I'm going to try the stock set-up for a while but I agree, these shafts are a weak point. Prop vibration on a twin is not good. The spinners are also a weak point. Chrisgo found some nice aluminum spinners that looked promising.

-Hawk
This is the motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_1320kv_.html
and this is the 3 blade spinner
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14761
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:05 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
Quote:
I have ordered the motors but the spinners are on back order. Slight problem here...the spinners are for a 3.17 mm shaft but the motors are 4.0 mm, what would be the best trick out of this dilemma. I'm thinking drilling out the spinners' collets running the risk of the holes not running through.

I flew the GC again this morning and am getting better on the landings. Trying to establish the sweet point in the flaps and aproach speed. Bit of a perfectionist here as nothing is good unless she greases down the run way. It is under powered and find pulling out of a sharp turn is rather weak. She is great for the fly bys and must admit she is a wanderful scale model and does looks apart too.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Quote:
I have ordered the motors but the spinners are on back order. Slight problem here...the spinners are for a 3.17 mm shaft but the motors are 4.0 mm, what would be the best trick out of this dilemma. I'm thinking drilling out the spinners' collets running the risk of the holes not running through.

I flew the GC again this morning and am getting better on the landings. Trying to establish the sweet point in the flaps and aproach speed. Bit of a perfectionist here as nothing is good unless she greases down the run way. It is under powered and find pulling out of a sharp turn is rather weak. She is great for the fly bys and must admit she is a wanderful scale model and does looks apart too.
It's been over a year since I installed my motors/spinners but I'm almost positive i didn't drill them out to get them to fit since they can end up off center. I'm pretty sure that they fit as is, after all the difference is less than 1mm.
I tried the flaps but ended up removing the servos as you can get the GC to slow down to a crawl without the flaps. And I normally really enjoy using flaps on my planes.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:30 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
Quote:
It's been over a year since I installed my motors/spinners but I'm almost positive i didn't drill them out to get them to fit since they can end up off center. I'm pretty sure that they fit as is, after all the difference is less than 1mm.
I tried the flaps but ended up removing the servos as you can get the GC to slow down to a crawl without the flaps. And I normally really enjoy using flaps on my planes.
The motors I have ordered come with the adapters, guess I might have to use them and wait for the spinners to be in stock. I will rim out the 3 bladed prop to suit adapters and see how she performs if not go for the APC 8x6 and loose the scale look.
Its hard when what you want is never in stock and what you need is never available.

Here is a quick clip of the GC and the turbine a mate made of me a couple of weeks ago..
Roger At The FOD (1 min 24 sec)
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,821 Posts
Baron,

Stephen Speilberg would be impressed ! I almost threw a bag of popcorn in the Micro. Keep them coming ! I took mine to the field yesterday but again too windy for a maiden, at least for me. 10-15. Chickened-out. I did practice ground taxiing and found I need to make a couple of adjustments. One of the plastic spinners is way out of round/balance and I need to better align the nose steering rod to the rudder servo. I also had to lower the EP's on the throws to 85%. The aileron servos were bottoming out. No biggie.

I definately want to go with aluminum spinners and will closely study this upgrade . I saw the link for the Park 450 1320kv turnigy's. What dimension will fit? length / dia. I've been having good luck lately at Leaders Hobby for motors and of course in the US, Headsuprc and Grayson.

Happy Holidays !

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,174 Posts
The 310 doesn't need flaps to land well. Unless you have a very short field, 20 degrees of flap is all you want. That flap setting will give you nice easy flair to landing. More flap gives a steeper approach and more skill required to arrest the descent and make a soft landing.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
The 310 doesn't need flaps to land well. Unless you have a very short field, 20 degrees of flap is all you want. That flap setting will give you nice easy flair to landing. More flap gives a steeper approach and more skill required to arrest the descent and make a soft landing.
You are absolutely right. I have set mine at 10 percent which is not a great deal and getting the speed down to the nearest click, am getting a few greasings on the run way but need to build up a better average. Its when the cross winds comes into play that you "kick the rudder" at the precise time the main wheels hit the ground. Still on the back foot with that one. When they say "kick the rudder" I presume getting the rudder in the neutral position once the wheels are in contact with hte ground.
The things we do ....but I love the challenge, hope I'm not the only one here.
Cheers.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
If everything is setup properly, a steeper approach with the correct flap setting should not result in any increase in approach speed.