Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,560 Posts
The gear channel is not a switch. It's a just a digital signal pulse. That's why I need a receiver controlled switch to turn the digital signal into a on off circuit for the battery powering the lights. Your lights may plug straight into the receiver. Some setups do. If so, you are lucky. It's less to mess with.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:37 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
worked on the GC today. i put some more da#% CF in the wing. needed to fix the crack, so went ahead & ran it across to both sides. also, when i grabbed the tail-feathers, they wiggled "A LOT", so i put some tape where they meet the fues. and it made a world of difference. evryone should do that to theirs. if they didnt glue the tail feathers on. i got the motors all centered, and ran them up on a brand new 4cell, with 7x5 CR props. and the max amps was 30amps. so im good there. they also ran a lot smoother than the stock prop & spinner setup, and ive not even balanced them yet. they would be perfectly fine to fly the way they are, but ill balance them anyway. the left motor did a little bit of surging, a couple of times. im sure its the esc. wish i had a programmer for them. i'd to be sure they're programmed the same. it was also a bit hotter, after i ran them up. ill try changing the wires around & see if it helps.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:17 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,631 Posts
Crisgo,

Thanks for the update, CF and tape adder idea. Looking good. Let us know how she flies with the new motors, CR props and spinners. How did you stuff the 4S lipo in the compartment?

Been waiting for a day of less than 15 mph.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
flying weather?

we used to say that if you set your Tx on the ground and it didnt blow it away it was good to fly.
born in Sherman
lived in Ft Worth and Lake worth.
just playing w/ya
enjoy
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,631 Posts
Relic,

LOL ! Did you see the new $700K Thunderbirds field before you left TX ? Nice to know a congressman...

Yah, on maidens, I always like to have as much as I can going my way. Less to worry about. 5-10 is ideal, 10-15 a little dicey for me. over 15, palms start sweating and thoughts of Airplane-2 " Remember Macho Grande" seep in .

-Hawk
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:37 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Relic,

LOL ! Did you see the new $700K Thunderbirds field before you left TX ? Nice to know a congressman...

Yah, on maidens, I always like to have as much as I can going my way. Less to worry about. 5-10 is ideal, 10-15 a little dicey for me. over 15, palms start sweating and thoughts of Airplane-2 " Remember Macho Grande" seep in .

-Hawk
Just curious do you go by weather reports or you measure actual wind speeds at your field? I completely understand your concerns with wind. It's the same with real planes I must add on maidens ;-)
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,631 Posts
Catain,

We have an online weather station at the field that is failrly accurrate: http://114thrc.org/wxHistory.asp

If I'm in the car, I call DFW ATIS as we're less than 5 miles from DFW.

-Hawk
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jun 2011
248 Posts
I'm a gadget nerd. Handheld anemometers are cheap and work well. Nice addition to the toolbox. Been using one similar to this for awhile. Works great. Mine gives current speeds or averages and temps.

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weathe...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Norm
Norm62 is online now Find More Posts by Norm62
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:29 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,631 Posts
Norn,

Very cool indeed. As a third backup, I also have Wind Vane Pro on my i-phone. Nice app.

Generally, I can simply peek my head out the door , look at the neighbor's Crape and Mertle and have a prettu good idea what's going on.- LOL

-Hawk
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
hey hawk, my turnigy 4cell 2650mah, just slid right in the batt. compartment, no problems. im sure my 3000mah's would be tight.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,631 Posts
Chrisgo,

Beauty !

Might just have to play hooky tomorrow afternoon: Here's the forecast:

High: 74 Low: 53 Sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Last edited by dahawk47; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:50 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Catain,

We have an online weather station at the field that is failrly accurrate: http://114thrc.org/wxHistory.asp

If I'm in the car, I call DFW ATIS as we're less than 5 miles from DFW.

-Hawk
Very nice that your RC field has its own weather station! Thanks for letting me know as I will lobby for getting one for our field ;-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:52 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
hey hawk, my turnigy 4cell 2650mah, just slid right in the batt. compartment, no problems. im sure my 3000mah's would be tight.
Chrisgo - will you be using 4s with the stock ESC's?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,640 Posts
yeah, i ran the motors up on 4cell, with 7 x 5 props, and the amp-meter never went above 30amps. so im good to go with the stock esc's. & the motors are 35-30, 1100kv.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:26 PM
Staying 3 mistakes high!
United States, GA, Lilburn
Joined May 2011
125 Posts
I have made it to the end of the thread. I read all your posts and I have to say I learned a lot. I checked in with Nitroplanes on Monday, the day the package was supposed to arrive, and I learned that the order was sent to the shipping department and never seen again. They have shipped (really, this time) and now it will be here Friday. So I'll have the long Christmas holiday to put it together. Really thinking hard about those counter rotating props. I know the original didn't have them but they just look sexy in operation. Someone posted earlier about GWS props at HobbyKing. Looking at those, they are 8x4.5 and 9x4.5 as opposed to the Master Airscrew 8x6 or 9x6. What effect would the lower pitch have on speed, power, thrust, etc? they are real cheap too. Are they flimsy like the crappy prop that came on my Bixler?
Fei Hu is offline Find More Posts by Fei Hu