HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
I am looking for the exact measurements of the battery hatch. I lost the one off my Dynam SR-22 and a replacement is not sold. I noticed that the one on the Grand Cruiswer looks similar and they are readily available. Might be able to trim it to fit if not the same thing. Thanks.
BTW. The Grand Cruiser is a beautiful looking plane. May add to my short list.
I have both airplanes. The battery hatch is interchangeable. So is the roof antenna and the flap hinges. For that matter...
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:29 AM
Gravity always wins . . .
USA, CA, Palmdale
Joined Dec 2010
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
QUESTION, does it matter which motor turns counter clockwise on a plane? i was tooling around with my GC, & started thinking about it. i know the props usually rotate towards the fueselage, but what about turning away from the fues?
Hey gc, You're correct in the direction of counter rotating props. From inside the cockpit, the left engine turns clockwise and the right engine turns counter clockwise.
The reason behind the counter rotating props is that they cancel each other out when it comes to torque, P-factor, gyroscopic precession, and propeller slip stream.
At higher angles of attack, the prop blade moving in the downward direction produces more thrust than the upward moving blade. Therefore counter rotating props keep the assymetric thrust as close to the aircraft centerline as possible. This also eliminates what is known as the critical engine senario. Critical engine being the one that quits. Whereby if both engines are turning to the right, the critical engine would be the one on the left because the right engine would be producing the most amount of thrust furthest from the fuselage centerline making the aircraft harder to control.
Hope this helped.

Corky
Corky65 is offline Find More Posts by Corky65
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:34 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,492 Posts
In the FWIW category, the full sized C-310 did not have counter rotating props. That was only on the modified versions.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:17 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,355 Posts
Still no luck on the retract issue. Grayson did respond though. Their thought was that on initial start-up the retracts need time to synch themselves. So the prescription was to start with a new Lipo, then wait at least 30 seconds for the retracts to synch before flipping any switches

I tried that and still not working. It' 4th down... Are there compatible servoless retracts out there that work on this plane ? I mainly concerned about the steerable nose gear.

She's all dressed up, ready for the dance but...

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:34 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,355 Posts
Making a little progress. I rebound the rx and plugged everything back in and the nose gear came down immediately. The mains were already down. So, it's not dead. Going to get her set up and try everything together.

There maybe hope for me after all!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:42 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
. Are there compatible servoless retracts out there that work on this plane ? I mainly concerned about the steerable nose gear.
-Hawk
These are a drop-in fit. Only issue is the legs are 4mm, not the same diameter as stock gear leg. The nose gear is out of stock, however. But these are really good e-retracts for replacement on Grand Cruiser and Turbo Jet!

Nose.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=23481

Main pair.... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=23483
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post

She's all dressed up, ready for the dance but...

-Hawk
how do the decals look?
can you show a pic?
i'm still waiting for mine.

sorry i can't help with retract issue........the only problem i've had was tightening the slider swivel to tight. it doesn't
move if you do.

WOW THATS GREAT
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:28 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,355 Posts
"Martha? We've crossed the Rubicon !"

Finally got the retracts working after alot of trial and tribulation. Tried to isolate the problem 10 ways to Sunday and finally, what I can surmize is that my RX( Frysky Fasst compatible) has a bad channel 5. Never had problems with these before but have never installed them on planes with retracts. Just use them on parkjets,edf's , and other hand launchers.

So I went and bound a genuine Futaba RX and presto ! Problem solved. Back in business !

Now I have to find the little Spinner screws. Man, these Spinners are the weak point in this model as I can see thus far. Way out of balance.

Jim,

I'll take a pic wiith the graphics from Callie. We had a little miscommunication at first but she's really supportive and wants to get it right.. I tried to get creative with what she gave me. A little different to say the least. So, what you'll see is not the final version. In fact, she's sending me a few more to finish her up.

-Hawk
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:02 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,355 Posts
Jim,

Here's what I have so far. I'm going to making a few changes, getting rid of the stripes on the nacelles and changing the look of the nose. Because Dynam paints the v-stab in the baby blue, I re-painted it royal blue to go along with the decals from Callie. There really was a Triple five Sierra Lima in my past,ergo, the ID.

-Hawk

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
440 Posts
Sweet dahawk! I like it! Glad to hear you got the retracts working. Gonna be able to post any video when you get her airborn?
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:01 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,355 Posts
Rcflyin,

Thanks. I'm still making some improvements. Graphics will get better. Callie is a joy to work with and she's providing more to sharpen her up a little. We'll, she'll look good anyway. Was thinking about applying a coat of minwax like I do with all my foamies. Helps with hangar rash( Me bumping into things) Not sure yet.

If I get the chance, and I don't auger her into the ground, I'm already thinking about a motor upgrade so I can go to aluminum spinners. These little plastic jobs are a joke.

One new feature I did include is a velco set-up for the little antenna. Pretty slick. I can now remove the antenna when I want to flip her over on her back so it doesn't break off. Yes to a vid when I maiden if I can get someone to use my i-phone whilst I'm at the sticks.

We've been under siege here in N. Texas with high winds lately. Cold front coming through. So, first good day and I'm at the field. The other challenge will be our field. Might have to take-off from the ramp area where it's practically barren with dead grass. Earlier this year I had a bad time with the DH-88 Comet. Grass on runway was too thick and it kept nosing over. These retracts look a little stiffer than the Comet's so I'll try. Wish she had struts for shock absorbsion and wish the wheels were slightly bigger. We'll see.

Nice looking plane. Glad I got one.

-Hawk
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
440 Posts
I tried the brush on semi-gloss minwax on the SR22 prior to painting cause I read that I could use any paint after treating it. Are you using gloss, semi? Also, are you putting it right over the decals? Have you ever put minwax on a plane that came factory painted? Just curious if it would enhance the color. My son is hoping for one of these for xmas
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:34 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,355 Posts
I use Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss. Now the decals I have on there are vinyl so I don't really know what will happen. I'll test an unused decal I have left over and see if there's any negative affect. Callie is sending me more decals so I'll really
" pimp my ride" - LOL

Here's the antenna velcroed for easy removal. Seems pretty sturdy. If it blows off, I have more from Cessna 182 that kept breaking off .

[IMG][/IMG]

-Hawk
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
looking good

looking good guy
standing by for more
and
good luck
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,627 Posts
that looks good hawk, i also like what you did with the antenna, i might have to try that. i was wondering why they gave us an antenna, when the first time we flipped it over to put the battery in, the stupid thing would break. looking forward to the maiden.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34