HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Okay,

Back to testing. I've determined I'm dead in the water on the nose gear retract.. Conducted several different tests.

Have an esc hooked up to BL motor and futaba rx. Plugged into the channel 3 All good. Motor works. RX beeps.

Have another plane (scratchbuilt airliner) with servoless retracts. In fact, they are very similar to the Dynam retracts. 1) Directly plugged connector into rx. Works, no problem. 2) Plugged into different Y connector and then to rx. Works, no problem. Plugged into Dynam supplied Y connector. Works, no problem. So my other servoless retract works in a stand alone set-up

Tried again plugging C310 nose gear into Dynam Y connector. No go. Tried using other plane's Y connector. No go. Both Y connectors are good. Check

The mains work fine but the nose gear retract is dead on arrival. Not a budge, a grunt, groan. Nothing. Completely powerless.

I guess the next step is to contact Basil at Grayson

4th down...

Hawk
Is the nose gear mounted in the plane, and if so is it in the down position or retracted?
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:50 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,670 Posts
Herman,

Nose Gear came retracted as did the mains. I went back to check to see if the mains were still working after my earlier fiddling and no, there is no response now. Squirrley, to say the least.
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 Posts
sometimes when i first plug the battery into the plane, i have to cycle the switch a couple times to get them to sequence with the tx signal. but im sure you've probably cycled them several times by now. go through & make sure all the wires are plugged up correct. proper signal wires. maybe try a different 3 way plug. try putting the switch in the right position before plugging the battery in. if the retracts are up, then put the switch in the up position before plugging the battery up. hope you get it figured out.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Herman,

Nose Gear came retracted as did the mains. I went back to check to see if the mains were still working after my earlier fiddling and no, there is no response now. Squirrley, to say the least.
Take the nose gear and take the four mounting screws out and just let the nose gear sit in there with the plane upside down and see if it works. If you have a 2.4 Tx/Rx, try rebinding it.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:55 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,670 Posts
Thanks Herman,

Heck, that's worth a try. What I found interesting was the fact that my other servoless chinese retracts that I got from Value hobby worked worked without an issue on the same bound rx. Will report back later. Sent Basil a note.

-Hawk
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:45 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
The reality is the consumer it the "QC" check on many of the cheap components. It costs time and money to test each widget - and that is reflected in the price you pay. Sounds like your nose gear is DOA. I had one ESC in my GC that was wonky (would surge at anything over 70% or so). You replace it and drive on...the odds are on your side that you won't get two bad units in a row. Hopefully NP will replace it for you gratis.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:55 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,670 Posts
Thanks Jim,

I actually bought mine from Grayson and have sent Basil a message. I suspect infant mortality but maybe there's something I'm not doing right. Don't think that is the case because through testing, I've isolated the rx, using two diffrent bound rx's, the y-connectors, etc. I've even hooked up the rx's to another plane with similar Chinese servoless retracts and they work fine. It was strange when I was finally able to get the mains to cycle by changing the plug connections in the 3 way Y cable. But later, I could not get this to repeat. Tested all the other servos and they work fine. Throttled her up . Check.
Very wonky.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:07 AM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
Try using a desperate b.e.c.
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,670 Posts
Shock,

I thought about that. I have a UBEC available from my airliner. Of course, I'd have to unplug one of the red wires from one of the esc's. But in this case I'm only hooking up the esc and one servo, so, there should be no load tp speak of. Apparently, they work for everyone else out of the box without using a seperate BEC. My thought is that I simply received a defective set of LG.

-Hawk
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 Posts
QUESTION, does it matter which motor turns counter clockwise on a plane? i was tooling around with my GC, & started thinking about it. i know the props usually rotate towards the fueselage, but what about turning away from the fues?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:29 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,670 Posts
Check vid at 1:36
Hobbyking Durafly DeHaviland DH88 Comet post assembly taxi run (1 min 55 sec)
and see if you can tell.

From sitting in the cockpit I believe my port side engine(#1) rotates right and the starboard(#2) rotates left both inward.

-Hawk
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 Posts
you can see the prop pitch direction. its the standard direction. looking at the plane from the front, the left, turns clockwise, & the right turns counter-cw. im wondering if anyone ever changes the direction of both sides. and how would it affect the flight characteristics.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:18 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,273 Posts
I am looking for the exact measurements of the battery hatch. I lost the one off my Dynam SR-22 and a replacement is not sold. I noticed that the one on the Grand Cruiswer looks similar and they are readily available. Might be able to trim it to fit if not the same thing. Thanks.
BTW. The Grand Cruiser is a beautiful looking plane. May add to my short list.
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:23 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,659 Posts
54mm x 67mm
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:49 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004