HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:24 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,479 Posts
One thing I've noticed from watching alot of youtube videos of guys crashing topflight nitro powered cessna 310 models....is this: If you lose power on one side.....and you have any kind of decent altitude....or even if you don't.........if you want to save your plane.....immediately chop the throttle.....and bring it down quick wherever it's safe to not hit people or property. Because the chances of you being able to do a controlled go around on one motor with assymetrical thrust are way not in your favor.

There are several of these videos where they had plenty enough altitude to just dead stick it down quick and minimize the damage.....but in the panic of the moment....they try to fly it on one motor......and always corkscrew straight in with usually near complete destruction.

Even the best professional pilots in real light twin airplanes often find it difficult to deal with one engine out. Luckily for us.....if we have a big open flying field......the consequences won't be too grim.

Mike
NOTAR 600 is online now Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:26 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 Posts
i also use the lightweight spackle, and it does work great with foam. and thats a great tip for loosing an engine. mine kept flying with one engine, as long as i kept left aileron & kept turning left. it flew straight that way. and i knew if i tried to turn right, it would tip stall downwards. but, at the same time, i couldnt turn left. so, im sure cutting the power totally, would,ve given me better control. this is my first twin engine plane.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:00 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
so some more weight in the front would help with that. it could use some more power, for my taste. which would also help put some more weight up front.
If there is anyway possible to shift existing weight forward ( like moving the battery ) without adding any additional weight.......this is what I try to do anyway. Or if you really need to add weight.....try to get it by using slightly heavier more powerful motors......(which you did mention......good!)......and/or larger lipo battery.....so if you must add weight you at least get the benefit of extra performance gain. I can almost always find a way to remove weight on the opposite end.....or move components to get the CG correct. Just adding lead weights or similar is a practice I try to avoid.......and most everyone else does too.

Mike
NOTAR 600 is online now Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:28 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,758 Posts
There are almost no King Air 200s being modeled. I can only find one is not yet available. When it is it will cost well over $1000 to get it ready for electronics and motors.

Should you find an affordable 200, please let us know.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,758 Posts
There is a reason why the pilots are required to get additional certification to fly multi-engine aircraft. The drag of an unfeathered prop is too much for most rudders to counteract. The best solution to an engine out on a model is to lower the power to absolute minimum, or cut it entirely and glide.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:41 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
The drag of an unfeathered prop is too much for most rudders to counteract. The best solution to an engine out on a model is to lower the power to absolute minimum, or cut it entirely and glide.
+1....the larger the vertical stab and rudder on a twin, the better chance of survival. If you must turn, turn MUST be into the direction of the "dead" motor. If you can't make the runway, just retract the gear and do the belly thing.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
There are almost no King Air 200s being modeled. I can only find one is not yet available. When it is it will cost well over $1000 to get it ready for electronics and motors.

Should you find an affordable 200, please let us know.
I found a Rockwell Shrike Aero Commander Kit in the box from the 70's but the guy wants $450.00. Pre-foam era. Love the Commander. Just wish Dynam or somebody would mold one.
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,758 Posts
The Shrike is a beautiful plane. Bob Hoover could do amazing things with one. It is one of the civilian twins that I too would love to have.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
If you want a nice Shrike Commander

http://www.topnotchkits.com/index_files/TN_Kit6.htm
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,670 Posts
Munster,

Yeah, I saw that one too. Gorgeous ! But looks like a lot of work and $$$ to get ready to fly. Motors, esc's, retracts, if even possible, etc. Wonder why the Chinese have not gone after these civilian twins in a bigger way. IE: HK, Dynam, FMS, Durafly, etc.

I do like counter-rotating. My DH-88 has them and they're great. Eliminates P-factor.

Looks like the C310 from Dynam is the best bang for the buck out there right now in the $100-$200 range. The Baron, Duke, C410 are in the next category. Finger on the trigger !
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
I found a Rockwell Shrike Aero Commander Kit in the box from the 70's but the guy wants $450.00. Pre-foam era. Love the Commander. Just wish Dynam or somebody would mold one.
Probably the old Great Planes kit....fibreglass fuse and nacelles, foam core wings, and tail. I had oneabout 30 years ago, nice kit..flew great...(RIP)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 Posts
im glad i had the witts to keep the gear up before crashing. im sure they wouldve been broken in some way. heres a plane i ordered from HK the other day. it was $95 for a long time, and i was so tempted to get it. i happened to notice the other day, when i was ordering something else, they had dropped the price again. i got it for something like $74. thats an incredible deal, so i snatched it up. it might still be on sale, not sure. ive also ordered some HK retracts to fit in it.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,075 Posts
Quote:
im glad i had the witts to keep the gear up before crashing. im sure they wouldve been broken in some way. heres a plane i ordered from HK the other day. it was $95 for a long time, and i was so tempted to get it. i happened to notice the other day, when i was ordering something else, they had dropped the price again. i got it for something like $74. thats an incredible deal, so i snatched it up. it might still be on sale, not sure. ive also ordered some HK retracts to fit in it.
Believe it or not that looks like ole defunct Eastern Airlines Colors and livery stripes..!!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 Posts
i just checked the price on the namc ys-11, and its still on sale for $69.84. (the plane above) thats an awesome deal for a composite fueselage, twin engine model. mine should be here within the next few days. i cant figure out why this model isnt more popular.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,659 Posts
Quote:
i just checked the price on the namc ys-11, and its still on sale for $69.84. (the plane above) thats an awesome deal for a composite fueselage, twin engine model. mine should be here within the next few days. i cant figure out why this model isnt more popular.
Maybe has poor flight characteristics .....I hope not Please start a build thread on this plane...keep us posted.