HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:54 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Wow gchrisgo34!! Sorry to see that happen. Did you balance the props before your maiden flight? I also plan on replacing the plastic spinners with 38mm diameter ones from HK, thy come with a adaptor to 3mm motor shafts. My other 310 made by Durafly has 1300kv motors and seems faster but less power if that makes sense. What Kv will you opt for on the new motor? I want to also upgrade to new motors and aluminum spinners.
What Aluminum spinner did you use?
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro View Post
Get a couple of Hobbyking park 480 motors, Master Airscrew props, and aluminum spinners. You will thank yourself every time you go to fly. The 310 flies beautifully with this combination. Plenty of climb power, but it's not a rocket. I tried 2 blade props and you get more power, but I got tired of mowing the grass. The 3 blades work great on grass, and just look right.
Maguro - what aluminum spinners did you buy and use? Also from HK? I have aluminum spinners but the adaptor is for 3 mm shaft, the reason I need another to use the 480 motor is that it has a 4mm shaft and the spinner has a screw that bolts to the adaptor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,648 Posts
I used the HK Aluminum Spinner 45mm 3 blade. It fits a 4mm shaft. The HK Park 480 motor has a 4mm shaft.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
heres some pics of the damage. i took the spinner & prop off after i got home. to see what kinda motor upgrade i can do. i got extremely lucky with the crash. it went down from about 40-50 feet off the ground. just happened to hit a grass island in the parking lot. and i also think it hit a bush before it hit the ground. i was totally expecting carnage. but, thats the only crack in the wing, and the nose is not bad at all. im sure that if i hadnt done the CF spar, the wing would have broke in half.
gchrisgo34 is online now Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
i plan to take the plastic motor mount off, cut the foam firewall back a few mm's. re-attach the plastic motor mount, and install the larger motors. so they'll fit inside the nacelles. pretty simple & easy. ill be able to run 3 and 4cell batts, as thats what most all of my batteries are. i checked the props balance before i installed them & they were ok. but, the crap spinners are what caused the whole accident. im not sure yet if ill replace the spinners, or just run props. i might replace them with aluminum's since you can get them so cheap from HK. i also considered putting a CF spar in the elevater, but i havent. if i ever have an issue with it, ill put one in.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:26 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
heres some pics of the damage. i took the spinner & prop off after i got home. to see what kinda motor upgrade i can do. i got extremely lucky with the crash. it went down from about 40-50 feet off the ground. just happened to hit a grass island in the parking lot. and i also think it hit a bush before it hit the ground. i was totally expecting carnage. but, thats the only crack in the wing, and the nose is not bad at all. im sure that if i hadnt done the CF spar, the wing would have broke in half.
Sorry of the mishap.... Got to write, Never seen one mushed before... It will only increase your modeling/improvement upon your skills .... Best wishes and performance skys to you!
Cocg is offline Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,124 Posts
Quote:
i plan to take the plastic motor mount off, cut the foam firewall back a few mm's. re-attach the plastic motor mount, and install the larger motors. so they'll fit inside the nacelles. pretty simple & easy. ill be able to run 3 and 4cell batts, as thats what most all of my batteries are. i checked the props balance before i installed them & they were ok. but, the crap spinners are what caused the whole accident. im not sure yet if ill replace the spinners, or just run props. i might replace them with aluminum's since you can get them so cheap from HK. i also considered putting a CF spar in the elevater, but i havent. if i ever have an issue with it, ill put one in.
Yes - you were lucky considering the impact. How do you plan on fixing the nose? I have seen video clips of folks dipping the foam in boiling water and it returns to its original form - however, the side effect is having alligator skin foam, which will have to be sanded down or something. I have ordered spinners from HK and they have excellent value. Tower Hobbies has them for three times the price, without the selection. So if I were you i would go ahead and replace the spinners. It looks very nice with teh spinners on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
thanks. yeah, ive seen videos of the boiling water trick, and i dont want the alligator effect. so, ill fill the gap in the foam with glue and glue it back together. and then ill sand the foam back into shape. im sure sanded foam would look a lot better that alligator'ed foam.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,653 Posts
gchrisgo,

To avoid alligator skin ( I'm an ole Gator by the way) after the hot water treatment, take a large cold spoon and stroke the repaired area with the back of the spoon. It works !
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:34 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,653 Posts
A tribute to Songbird for those who remember Sky King. I watched the show in the early 60's and didn't even realize I was watching reruns. The show inspired many to take up aviation.

I want a 310 even more now !

Sky King - Sky Robbers Season 4, Episode 2 (25 min 14 sec)

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,415 Posts
This is the motors I went with in my GC. They are practically a drop in replacement. I also used some alum spinners from HobbyKing. My original spinners were so bad I never even used them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_1320kv_.html
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
thanks dahawk, i might practice that method on something else before i do the 310. one thing ive learned, is that practice makes perfect. i ordered some motors, props, and spinners from HK. im going with 35-36 1000kv, 45mm 2 blade spinners, and i got some 9x6, and 10x5 reverse rotating props. the 3 blade props look better, but im bettin it will fly better with 2. im also hoping that i can get by with the stock esc's with a bec added. ive got a meter, so we'll see. 2 blades will pull less amps than 3. so maybe it'll work. thats a cool show. wish there was more aviation stuff on tv.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:22 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2012
336 Posts
I have the HK 310 and she flies alright. I was hoping someone in this thread might know where I can get a EPO Beech King Air 200 that I could do in RFDS scheme.
Spudz27 is offline Find More Posts by Spudz27
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:44 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
This is the motors I went with in my GC. They are practically a drop in replacement. I also used some alum spinners from HobbyKing. My original spinners were so bad I never even used them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_1320kv_.html
I just ordered this motor for my upgrade. I also ordered 38mm spinner and adaptor but I am worried it might be a tight fit. What spinner did you order from HK?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:01 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Quote:
thanks. yeah, ive seen videos of the boiling water trick, and i dont want the alligator effect. so, ill fill the gap in the foam with glue and glue it back together. and then ill sand the foam back into shape. im sure sanded foam would look a lot better that alligator'ed foam.
For getting your foam planes looking good again after a crash......I use this DAP fast-n-final spackling compound. Walmart and Lowes both carry this. I get the 8 ounce size for about four bucks. It's lightweight, clean looking white color, bonds to foam yet can be removed when needed, dries hard overnight, perfect for sanding, perfect for painting. Make sure you get FAST-N-FINAL. It's absolutely the best for EPO and other foam models. I love this stuff and use it alot. Makes holes and cracks disappear. Makes a rumpled nose look smooth again.

Mike
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600