HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:48 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
which way do you all think the stickers look best. the ones on the engine nacelles. im thinking the one that has the larger stripes toward the prop. and thats the capacitor i was talking about. kinda works like a bec for the rx.
The way it looks best is the way it's supposed to be as shown on the box. It's modeled after a real plane. "Hey, look! That guy has his stripes on backwards."
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
i dont care what the real plane looks like. i think it looks best forward though.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:32 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,143 Posts
I also like the decals like teh original shows on the box.

By the way, why are you thinking about swapping motors? The HK Turnigy 1350Kv is a nice sub but I was only going to do that if my stock motor fails. Obviously one can experiment and etc. I want to hook on two gyros, one for ailerons and one for rudder to see how it works. I may even as a elevator gyro ;-) I plan on doing this on another plane first and if it works well I will try on the GC. Anyhow, just a thought at thios time. Any comments?
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:58 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,653 Posts
Want a very cool 3 axis gyro stabilzer, check out: http://www.bluelight-tech.com/products.htm.

Mark Massel, aka, Ice-Man is an ex-British Aerospace Engineer living in Thailand . I've just started testing and it's quite a package. Comes with everything including software, great manual cables, etc. Great value IMO.

Testing on my trusty ole PZ T-28 but will try it on a number of different airplanes( EDF's, DH-88 Comet, etc) The main advantage is in windy conditions. Our club field runway is crosswind.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Last edited by dahawk47; Nov 09, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:35 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
I also like the decals like teh original shows on the box.

By the way, why are you thinking about swapping motors? The HK Turnigy 1350Kv is a nice sub but I was only going to do that if my stock motor fails. Obviously one can experiment and etc. I want to hook on two gyros, one for ailerons and one for rudder to see how it works. I may even as a elevator gyro ;-) I plan on doing this on another plane first and if it works well I will try on the GC. Anyhow, just a thought at thios time. Any comments?
There is a guy named Dave Powers.....who has a company called RC Powers......or RC SuperPowers..... he makes foam RC airplane kits and sells them through grayson hobby. Anyway a few years back he made some awesome large custom fighter jet looking airplanes.....and he used several Esky brand gyros at once to stabilize these amazing planes.

The type of gyro he used was a simple TURN RATE gyro.......instead of the HEADING HOLD type that are used on some RC helicopters. Those turn rate gyros can be found for $10 or $15 I'm pretty sure. It might be best to experiment with a single axis of control at a time. Pick the one that would seem to benefit from it the most.

Mike
NOTAR 600 is online now Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Last edited by NOTAR 600; Nov 08, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:50 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,425 Posts
Probably would be a good idea to learn about gyros on an older simple single engine plane of less value....before risking your fancy twin engine beauty.....because a good gyro setup might make flying better.....but a gyro gone bad could possibly make your plane handle like a shopping cart full of bowling balls.

Mike
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:23 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
Probably would be a good idea to learn about gyros on an older simple single engine plane of less value....before risking your fancy twin engine beauty.....because a good gyro setup might make flying better.....but a gyro gone bad could possibly make your plane handle like a shopping cart full of bowling balls.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I also fly helicopters (did so before getting into fixed wing) and have many many spare gyros, from $12 Detrum G48v to Align MMS types. I agree with going with one axis at a time. I may try this on my Cessna 182 or Cessana 350. I guess it's best to try on a plane that gets bounced around to see the improvement. But ultimately I am very tempted to use on my GC, which is currently one of my favorites.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
heres some of the gyros i bought from hobbyking for $15-16 bucks. both are 3-axis, and they work great. you can see where ive got one hooked up in my piper cub. and im going to run one in my GC later. on my cub, it flys so smooth, and it holds whatever heading you put it on. 3-axis gyro ran for over $100 everywhere, and then HK came out with these for $15. HK is awesome!!!! they make this hobby so much more affordable.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
these were my very first gyros, and what i did, was turn the rates down, so the control surfaces dont move so much. and then just turn them up a bit at a time till the plane starts over correcting a bit. you can set the gains on each control surface. thats how i did it, and it worked great. i kept them set half at first, and i just turned them up a bit every time i flew, till it handled like i wanted.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:04 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,425 Posts
I've saved several helicopter gyros......since retiring my worn out fleet of esky honeybee king2 and other heli models. I thought about trying them in airplanes. Sounds like you guys are ahead of me on that.....which is great!

Still trying to decide on buying the grand cruiser. I'm also building an N scale model railroad at the moment which is competing with airplanes for funding. Is there a way to balance both? This is what I'm pondering. I really deserve a good plane since I sold my parkzone T-28 at the RC swap meet. I had three long years on that plane.....and it still had some life left in it.

Mike
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:14 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
heres some of the gyros i bought from hobbyking for $15-16 bucks. both are 3-axis, and they work great. you can see where ive got one hooked up in my piper cub. and im going to run one in my GC later. on my cub, it flys so smooth, and it holds whatever heading you put it on. 3-axis gyro ran for over $100 everywhere, and then HK came out with these for $15. HK is awesome!!!! they make this hobby so much more affordable.
Yes, I like hobby king too. I bought six Rhino lipos from the china warehouse to use mostly in custom built F27 stryker planes. Also used them in the T28. Great quality batteries. And I bought a T33 small ducted fan plane from HK USA warehouse.

Mike
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,677 Posts
I'm a fan of the Hobbyking KK2 board http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html. The KK2 board has 3 axis gyros and 3 axis accelerometers. It requires no outside software to program. Everything is on board. I use Openaero2 software on it. With OA2 one has the option of both flight stabilization and/or autolevel from a flip of a switch on your transmitter. Ive tried it on my 1200mm (48") foam SE5a, and it works beautifully. Tuning each gyro is as simple as pushing a few buttons. It also allows servo reversal, gyro and accelerometer reversal, tons of mixes, etc., etc. It's amazingly cheap and easy to use.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,645 Posts
im guessing it'll work with airplanes? most of those copter gyros say weather or not they will work on a plane. that one doesnt say it works with planes. i noticed it says (aero 1s aileron), and ( aero 2s aileron) whatever that means? thats the closeest clue i could find of it supporting planes.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:39 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,978 Posts
Gotta Jump in.. This plane is so docile.. Whats with all the gyro garb? Really.. It isn't needed on this one.. Or near needed..!!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
1,677 Posts
Coch you are absolutely correct. No gyro needed on the 310.

The KK2 board supports 1 and 2 aileron channels in airplane mode. I always fly with separate aileron channels. It opens up a number of options not available with 1 channel and a Y cable.
maguro is online now Find More Posts by maguro