SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
heres some that might work. i havent done any measuring, so, im not sure which ones would fit best. but im sure, with any different retracts, you'll have to do some mods. as you can see, they have the measurments listed. so measure the stock retracts, and compare with what HK has & figure out which works best. you can also buy just the retract, and order seperate struts & wheels, and build your own custom set. the first set i have shown, are only $20. most important measurments are, the strut length, the strut diameter 3mm or 4mm, and the tire size. i might make my tire size a bit bigger when i order my retracts. ive already put 2 larger tires on the stock retracts.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
as you can see, these are made out of aluminum, with shock absorbing aluminum struts, and wheels for around $44. much, much better than what you would get from pw-rc. eflites cost around $95. and thats for the retracts and wire struts only. you can get 2 fully loaded all aluminum sets here, for the price of one eflite.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:02 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
as you can see, these are made out of aluminum, with shock absorbing aluminum struts, and wheels for around $44. much, much better than what you would get from pw-rc. eflites cost around $95. and thats for the retracts and wire struts only. you can get 2 fully loaded all aluminum sets here, for the price of one eflite.
Keep in mind, the aluminum e-tracts weigh about twice as much as the stock units
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:08 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
heres some of my progress so far. i listed under the pics what ive done
Some good ideas.... thanks for sharing. Also, with regards to teh retracts, I have some of the Aluminum oleo sets you have listed from HK and they are too large for the Grand Cruiser and heavy. I will look for others but I already have a few sets of Dynam spares and would really like to know why only the ones on the Grand Cruiser don't work? My Dynam TurboJet retracts worked ok in the same cold ambient??
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:14 PM
Brain/Thumb Interlock Off
Joined Mar 2011
164 Posts
Sad Day At The Field: What Happens When A Battery Can't Flow Amps Fast Enough

Well, a sad day at the flying field. Now I know what happens when you over-stress a battery. My GC was cruising along shortly after takeoff when it starting acting like it had reached low voltage cutoff - which couldn't be right because I had checked the battery charge just before installing it. None the less, the motors started giving only marginal power as I tried to milk it away from the tree line and get it back onto the ground. I very nearly made it, but in trying to get it away from the trees, it stalled and spun it. Luckily, it was at very low speed turning into a strong wind, and was at low altitude, so it didn't hit too hard. The left wing broke at the typical place, from the leading edge root to the flap. Clean break, and totally repairable. Maybe I'll put a CF spar in while I'm fixing it. It pretty much hit vertically on the nose, and blunted the nose somewhat. It will take a little doin to get the cosmetics right.

I checked the battery after picking up the pieces, and it looks like two of the three cells went bad right away. Two cells were about 3 volts, and one cell was about 4 volts. The battery was very puffed up and hot. It was actually a Dynam battery I had gotten with an SR Trainer a year ago, and had 56 charging cycles on it. I think it was a 20C, but the text on the label got rubbed off, so I'm thinking now that the discharge rate might be less than that. I guess it wasn't up to having those two motors sucking all those amps out that hard. I just checked it again (about ten hours after the incident), and all three cells now read 3.97! And the puffiness is gone!

The main loss is that the lens on the right (starboard side) wing tip tank disappeared. I had already lost the rear window, and have a temporary make-work fix until NP gets the "clear blister" pack back in stock. I'm on back order, but don't have a lot of faith that I'll ever be able to get a replacement. If any of you fellow GC pilots happen to have a wingtip lens in your scrap box (and a rear window for that matter), I'd sure be grateful if you'd let me make an offer on it...
DriverRX8 is offline Find More Posts by DriverRX8
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
Just cut the wing tanks off that's what I did.
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:19 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRX8 View Post
Well, a sad day at the flying field. Now I know what happens when you over-stress a battery. My GC was cruising along shortly after takeoff when it starting acting like it had reached low voltage cutoff - which couldn't be right because I had checked the battery charge just before installing it. None the less, the motors started giving only marginal power as I tried to milk it away from the tree line and get it back onto the ground. I very nearly made it, but in trying to get it away from the trees, it stalled and spun it. Luckily, it was at very low speed turning into a strong wind, and was at low altitude, so it didn't hit too hard. The left wing broke at the typical place, from the leading edge root to the flap. Clean break, and totally repairable. Maybe I'll put a CF spar in while I'm fixing it. It pretty much hit vertically on the nose, and blunted the nose somewhat. It will take a little doin to get the cosmetics right.

I checked the battery after picking up the pieces, and it looks like two of the three cells went bad right away. Two cells were about 3 volts, and one cell was about 4 volts. The battery was very puffed up and hot. It was actually a Dynam battery I had gotten with an SR Trainer a year ago, and had 56 charging cycles on it. I think it was a 20C, but the text on the label got rubbed off, so I'm thinking now that the discharge rate might be less than that. I guess it wasn't up to having those two motors sucking all those amps out that hard. I just checked it again (about ten hours after the incident), and all three cells now read 3.97! And the puffiness is gone!

The main loss is that the lens on the right (starboard side) wing tip tank disappeared. I had already lost the rear window, and have a temporary make-work fix until NP gets the "clear blister" pack back in stock. I'm on back order, but don't have a lot of faith that I'll ever be able to get a replacement. If any of you fellow GC pilots happen to have a wingtip lens in your scrap box (and a rear window for that matter), I'd sure be grateful if you'd let me make an offer on it...
Wing Tips
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ip-p-1626.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:21 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
What? LOL That's the whole attraction to this bird! That's awesome :-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:25 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
Oh but one loses personality..!! Name: Chris visit 104.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 99.3 KB
Description:
Cocg is offline Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:31 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Oh but one loses personality..!! Attachment 5282097
Very nice. May i ask what painting process you used? I love the white. Also, what landing gear do you have? Is it a retract?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:19 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Very nice. May i ask what painting process you used? I love the white. Also, what landing gear do you have? Is it a retract?
Captain, I had purchased this Version 1 just a mere week before V2 came out with retracts , (Figures, although since I have purchased retracts but yet to install them) No paint on this whatsoever .. Just cut Monokote Trim Sheets applied symetrically.. No flaps either.. .... I did get a call from my favorite cousin as I was building it.. Her mom, my Aunt Ginger, had died. So i did make up the Fuse # on the sides of her departure date,6/25/11 and put "Ginger" names by the cockpit. Thank you..!!Name: Chris visit 101.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 92.8 KB
Description: Name: Chris visit 122.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 161.2 KB
Description: Name: Chris visit 130.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 109.6 KB
Description: Name: 310 Maiden 003.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 224.3 KB
Description:
Cocg is offline Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
started fooling with my gc today. i picked the plane up by both wing tips to check the wing flex, and it had A LOT of flex. so i immediatly knew i had to do something about it. so i carved a channel in the slot where all the wires run and out to both servos. i used a 5 or 6mm cf spar there. then i ran 2, 4mm flat spars to run all the way to the wingtips. and i over-layed the spars so there'll be no week spots. planes with a lot of wing-flex dont fly near as well as they should, and im sure it would have eventually led to wing failure. the wings felt pretty solid out of the box, but after i added the fueselage, it made a big difference. when i put the wire covers back on, it'll hide most of the spar, and ive got some white tape to cover the rest.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
bongo fury
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Captain, I had purchased this Version 1 just a mere week before V2 came out with retracts , (Figures, although since I have purchased retracts but yet to install them) No paint on this whatsoever .. Just cut Monokote Trim Sheets applied symetrically.. No flaps either.. .... I did get a call from my favorite cousin as I was building it.. Her mom, my Aunt Ginger, had died. So i did make up the Fuse # on the sides of her departure date,6/25/11 and put "Ginger" names by the cockpit. Thank you..!!
Nice paint scheme!
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:01 PM
bongo fury
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,631 Posts
Glad I finally found this thread. I need to read back through it some to get up to speed. I guess the main difference between version one and two....is the retracts? Is there any other notable improvements? I've heard this is a really well flying model.....and the C-310 has always been my favorite plane. I'm building a pat trittle models C-310......off and on......it's taking me forever because it's balsa stick and plastic film construction. Don't think I'll ever fly it....because one crash and all that work will be destroyed instantly. It's coming together nicely though.

So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the Grand Cruiser. I doubt if they will stay in stock too much longer. How long would you expect spare parts will be available?

I often end up buying two planes to have spare parts. Then when I do......I can't stand to cannibalize a perfectly new spare plane.....so I end up buying parts anyway. Ha ha! I'm crazy that way.

Mike
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600