HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
I had originally put flaps on mine when I first got it, but it wasn't long after that I took the servos out. The plane lands so slow I felt the flaps weren't necessary.
Herman Munster is online now Find More Posts by Herman Munster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:47 AM
Aaaah...........Napalm!
USA, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Apr 2004
728 Posts
I love the flaps on mine, with the DX7 3-position flap switch and a servo slower, they're just too cool. On a totally unrelated note, check out what I'm flyin' these days when I'm not doing the rc thing. (I just got it last week and can't keep my mouth shut about it )
chopperscott is online now Find More Posts by chopperscott
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:21 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,848 Posts
Way to cool, Scott!!!
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:24 AM
Electric Flyer
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2003
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post

....One "mod" you should do right away is to reinforce the wing with a carbon-fiber spar to eliminate wing flexing. My first GC often looked like a seagull with wing tanks under high-G stress! I kept telling myself that "one of these days, I need to fix that." One day while landing, the wings folded with a loud crack as they slapped together. I ordered another Plane the next day. As luck would have it, that was the week that Nitroplanes brought out the "new, improved" model with retracts. Sometimes things happen for a reason...

Needless to say, I immediately reinforced the bottom of the wing of the new one with a carbon-fiber arrow shaft. Rock solid since then...

Good luck.

-- Rod
Hi Rod,

I have a GC with retracts and flaps and it flies really nice. However, the wing is way to weak for all the hardware and openings on it and I kicked myself for flying it on a too windy day where a too hard landing cracked the wing from leading to trailing edge close to the fuselage. There was no other damage.

The only other problem I had with this plane is losing a blade on the three blade prop that sliced partly through the cabin and caused the motor mount to separate due to the vibration. This happened twice with Dynam props. I bought a bunch more anyway but now I flex them before installing to make sure there aren't any manufacturing defects.

Anyway I'm interested in the "carbon-fiber arrow shaft" you mentioned. Where do you get these and most of all where and how did you install them. A picture would be great. I really want to strengthen that wing up without ruining it's good looks.

Thanks,

Richard
rms59 is online now Find More Posts by rms59
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,848 Posts
I got some more CF arrow shafts from WalMart last week as I'm going to put one in my Dynam TurboJet, also. See my post link below for photo of the arrow shaft in my Dynam GC a few months ago.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1559
Last edited by bamaguy; Sep 05, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added link
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:41 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
I use lite-ply to make spars for my 310 and Dynam Citation. Its a lot cheaper and plenty strong. The large carbon shafts IMHO are way too much overkill unless your trying to pull the wings off of it. The spar should only run from nacelle to nacelle.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:07 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms59 View Post
Hi Rod,

I have a GC with retracts and flaps and it flies really nice. However, the wing is way to weak for all the hardware and openings on it and I kicked myself for flying it on a too windy day where a too hard landing cracked the wing from leading to trailing edge close to the fuselage. There was no other damage.

The only other problem I had with this plane is losing a blade on the three blade prop that sliced partly through the cabin and caused the motor mount to separate due to the vibration. This happened twice with Dynam props. I bought a bunch more anyway but now I flex them before installing to make sure there aren't any manufacturing defects.

Anyway I'm interested in the "carbon-fiber arrow shaft" you mentioned. Where do you get these and most of all where and how did you install them. A picture would be great. I really want to strengthen that wing up without ruining it's good looks.

Thanks,

Richard
I got this batch of two-dozen arrow shafts probably 15 years ago or thereabouts and I'm still using out of the same bag. I can't remember the vendor. Your best bet is probably "bamaguy's" advice to check with Walmart.

Good luck...
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post
I got this batch of two-dozen arrow shafts probably 15 years ago or thereabouts and I'm still using out of the same bag. I can't remember the vendor. Your best bet is probably "bamaguy's" advice to check with Walmart.

Good luck...
They were not very expensive..about $4, each
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:14 AM
Electric Flyer
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2003
433 Posts
Thanks everyone. I thought the "CF arrow" was RC hobby related. Never thought about archery. I will head to Walmart today and pick up a few. I think I can repair this wing but I want to order another as soon as I can find one. NitroPlanes is constantly out of stock on everything I seem to want or need and the other links provided in this thread are out of stock also.

Thanks for the photo too. That picture is worth a thousand words and saves me a lot of guessing.

Richard
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
I use lite-ply to make spars for my 310 and Dynam Citation. Its a lot cheaper and plenty strong. The large carbon shafts IMHO are way too much overkill unless your trying to pull the wings off of it. The spar should only run from nacelle to nacelle.
If you look at the picture, that's where the arrow shaft is at. At the cost of ply anymore, I'd have to say the arrow shafts are just as cheap as ply if not less.
Herman Munster is online now Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:26 PM
Electric Flyer
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2003
433 Posts
Well, the walmart near me (connecticut) doesn't carry arrows of any kind and the local sport shops are charging upward of $60 for a set of 6 arrows.

If someone can tell me the outside diameter of the arrows used in the grand cruiser I'll just buy the CF tubing from tower hobbies or someplace similar.

Richard
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms59 View Post
If someone can tell me the outside diameter of the arrows used in the grand cruiser I'll just buy the CF tubing from tower hobbies or someplace similar.
Richard
.20 to .25 are plenty big enuff!
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, DE, Bear
Joined Apr 2007
2,167 Posts
Use 5 or 6 mm cf rods. You might also check if a sporting goods shop has cf arrow seconds. They are usually. Very cheap.
maguro is offline Find More Posts by maguro
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:45 PM
Electric Flyer
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2003
433 Posts
Thanks for the sizes guys,

Looks like Ebay has tons of the stuff cheap so I will search and buy there.

Richard
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:42 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
145 Posts
Spar mod

If you don't want to get too fancy I use a 3/16 inch wood dowel. Glued in with Gorilla glue. Not pretty but works great.Now I just need to find some white trim tape to cover the groove. I feel safe now pulling loops and rolls. Just got some white trim tape today and covered the groove. Looks much better then the pics.
toddsl is offline Find More Posts by toddsl
Last edited by toddsl; Sep 11, 2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: more info.