Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
I agree, my dynam electronics have been reliable, I have a lot of flights on my modded out c310 and the only thing I've replaced is the motors. Where did you buy just the airframe???
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
I bought it from Nitroplanes. Bought it when they were having one of their sales. I had to buy the parts seperate, fuse, wings, tail and tip tanks ect... ect... Was not too expensive at all. Thankfully the new airframe parts are V2 that are for the retracts. I like to replace the stock motors with the inexpensive motors from Heads-up rc. Their Powerup 400 sport motors are perfect replacement motors. I run GWS HD 9x5 props and they are a perfect match. 8x4 or 5 props would be good to.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,642 Posts
Shock;
You can obtain replacement parts for Dynam planes here: http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...c-134_168.html
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
At Last...

Got some in-flight photos if any one would enjoy..!!Name: Chris visit 131.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 137.5 KB
Description:

Name: Chris visit 122.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 161.2 KB
Description:

Name: Chris visit 108.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 125.0 KB
Description: This is version 1 before the retract availability... Now, Many have added them.... And I bought from them from Grayson Hobby the "set for Dynam" But the bolt pattern is way offf... What gives? Anyone who added them run into this?
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Aug 2008
199 Posts
Very nice !!!
carrerars is offline Find More Posts by carrerars
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
This is version 1 before the retract availability... Now, Many have added them.... And I bought from them from Grayson Hobby the "set for Dynam" But the bolt pattern is way offf... What gives? Anyone who added them run into this?
Yes, the pattern IS different. You must remove the mounts from the wing, enlarge the pocket a bit, cut the mount so you can space it apart enough to mount the retract to it.

It would have been nice if Dynam marketed a full conversion "kit" for the retracts. Also just the Nose Gear came with the wire strut (leg). Had to make a pair for the mains.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
9 Posts
I was hoping to make my first post here upbeat and positive, but I'm pretty bummed out now. I've been flying my GC everyday for a few weeks (since I got it), but it's down now. I'm having trouble with the nose gear linkage. (I'll ask about that later.)

I've been flying RC for almost 2 years now and this is about my 15th plane... now my favorite. My dad had an early 310 when I was a teenager. I have over 100 hours flying and thousands of hours working on it. I'm just barely old enough to remember Sky King.

I can't thank you all enough... I've learned so much this thread. Sync'ing the ECS's, adding some washers to the top motor mount for slight down angle, how to get the nacelles off, and awesome videos (especially the glow 310 that flies through the irrigation sprinkler and literally drags a tip tank on the grass!)

Just a few things I've noticed that I have not seen discussed here.

>> These props are extremely brittle. On my first flight, a pebble kicked up from the nosewheel broke one. A firm, but not too hard landing dug in a tip and broke it. A landing on grass (with some small weeds) broke one. I was sure it would just roll out. Perhaps the gear are a little short or the props are long for scale.

>> The nose retract was always a problem. It rotates and catches going into the wheel well. I enlarged the well slightly, but the steering cable was in the way, so it still caught at times. I'm replacing the nose retract and linkage hoping to resolve the issue. I'm stuck on that.... hence I'm down.

>> I had several spinners with mold defects.

>> NItroplanes customer service is very well intentioned but quite inefficient. They will finally take care of you if you keep after them, but it may take 5 transactions and 8 weeks to get a single replacement item. I've discovered Grayson Hobbies... they seem to stock GC parts better and they are fast and professional. Any other sources I should know about?

>> Windscreen and rear window glue already failed. I understand that CA will damage the plastic... what types of glue do you use for this type of plastic?

>> The wheels seem to be too small. I have seen a post on this thread where someone enlarged the wheel wells and put larger wheels on. I have not added a spar yet and I'm afraid that any weakening of the wing will be deadly.

While I love the plane, I do not like just cruising around. I'm looking forward to hopping it up a bit. I'll look through the thread.. I've seen several hop ups.

Thanks again for all your help. I hope that I'll be able to give back some when I finally learn what I'm doing.

All the best. Blue skies,

Mark

Edit to add.... >> The stock aileron setup is pretty anemic!
mmglobal is offline Find More Posts by mmglobal
Last edited by mmglobal; Jun 17, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:45 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Mark

Sorry that you are down now - AWP (awaiting parts). I've found the props to fairly durable - I've scraped them on the runway a few times - the two I've broken was once on a low pass - that turbulence bounced me off the ground and one on a really cruddy landing.

Retractable nose wheels are a bugaboo - lot of moving parts. I have noticed my nose wheel slightly turns in the retract position. I've noticed that the slightest bend in the gear is magnified in the action. All I can offer is tweak, tweak, and tweak some more. Eventually I get the stars aligned until my next basher landing.

Re: the windows - yes, the glue eventually dries and the windows pop-out (and the lens on the wing tips). Stuff called canopy glue (looks suspiciously like Elmer’s glue) works great. Doesn't haze the plastic and is flexible. I've pretty much moved away from CA. Low temp hot glue also works but is a bit thicker.

For spare parts, I have used Grayson. They always have the parts in stock - and ALWAYS order two props when you do! I had to replace a stock ESC but other than that, all the original electronics are going fine. Lots of folks have snapped off prop shafts – I’ll say that both my prop strikes just broke a blade or two.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Mar 2011
9 Posts
Jim, thanks for the reply. Yes, I bought 8 props last time I ordered from Grayson.

Your "elmers glue" comment convinced me to use some white glue that came with one of my foamies... worked perfectly.

Special thanks to bwoollia for posting a photo of the correct nosegear configuration in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1210

From this, I learned that the assembly from the factory was wrong. I copied this installation and it works perfectly!

The answer that I got back from nitroplanes about the flap assembly was totally incorrect. They pointed me to a video of a 'standard' assembly that included adding a control horn. The correct installation is using the included linkage wires that go under the center flap hinge and attach to the hole at the top of the leading edge of the flap. Acuating the flap actually pushes it down. First time assembly was difficult. I won't have trouble with the second assembly. Sadly, I need to replace a servo already. I used hot glue to put it in... will that come out easy?

I've not flown it yet with the washers under the top motor mounts. I can't wait to see what the trim requirements will be.

Thanks again to everyone for the great info here.

Blue Skies,

Mark
mmglobal is offline Find More Posts by mmglobal
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:57 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
I used hot glue to put it in... will that come out easy?
Unless you can get a razor blade under it to slice the servo away from the hot glue, NO. You will likely pull out the servo, along with a substantial amount of foam with it, possible putting a hole right through the wing if the foam is thin there. The ideal way to install a servo is the use of a servo tray. The tray gets glued in and the servo gets screwed into the tray. However, if it's any consolation, few of us think that far ahead, myself included.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,642 Posts
Gluing Servos to Foam

I have had very good results using the "foam glue" usually supplied in the kits when gluing the servos into the pockets. I put small dabs on both sides and on the bottom of the pocket. If you need to remove the servo, you can cut thru the adhesive on the two sides and wiggle the servo enough to break the bond of the "bottom" without removing very much of the foam.
I did find a really good alternative to the usual "foam glue"..it is made by the well-known "LIQUID NAILS" folks. Comes in a small .75 ounce tube. Works about the same as UHU...dries clear and does not eat EPP,EPS or EPO foam. Seems to be everwhere...Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc.

I've done my 9 gram servos this way on 6 or 7 foamies...NEVER had any issues.

I would prefer to use those plastic servo pockets also, but I've yet to find a source for them!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Take that runway!
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined May 2005
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post

The answer that I got back from nitroplanes about the flap assembly was totally incorrect. They pointed me to a video of a 'standard' assembly that included adding a control horn. The correct installation is using the included linkage wires that go under the center flap hinge and attach to the hole at the top of the leading edge of the flap. Acuating the flap actually pushes it down. First time assembly was difficult. I won't have trouble with the second assembly. Sadly, I need to replace a servo already. I used hot glue to put it in... will that come out easy?
I posted this build video back a couple of months ago on mounting the flaps. The plane was the Dynam SR Trainer but they work the same way. The flap video that describes adding an extra horn is wrong. The Nitroplanes video on the flaps is right but brief. Hope this helps. Depending on your radio you'll probably need an inline servo reverser.

Dynam SR Trainer Build Log Pt 2.mp4 (12 min 50 sec)
jim12 is offline Find More Posts by jim12
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
Looks great Winginman... A matter of which plane gets what for me... Looks like a good method I will most likely duplicate... I have read some fols are carbon rod reinforcing their wins ..I will at that time ..you? Does the plane feel wheightier?
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
It does not feel weightier but pulling out of a steep dive I noticed more wing flex. I am thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to reinforce the wings, at least out just past the LG. I am looking for some 1inch wide nylon reinforced strapping tape. If I can find some that will be my first choice. Next choice would be a CF rod or hardwood spar. Not sure which yet. In the meantime I am staying away from any extreme maneuvers that may over-stress the wing.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman