Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:35 AM
Joined Sep 2003
64 Posts
Great thread guys! Mine arrives tomorrow. I'm changing the color and adding a cf strip in the wing.
GIJon is offline Find More Posts by GIJon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:04 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie64 View Post
Does anybody know where to get replacement 3-blade spinners? One of the originals already broke while mounting them...
www.pw-rc.com
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:50 AM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
891 Posts
I maidened mine last weekend. Set the CG where recommended. Took off nice and straight and level and then it did a sudden roll to the right and a death dive. Oh well, guess I have some parts I can use on future aircraft like esc's, retracts, etc.

There appeared to be absolutely nothing wrong with the radio. Everything worked perfectly when picking up the pieces.

It actually acted like a snap roll on takeoff, indicating it was seriously tail heavy. Strange, the CG was right on and I was making a conservative shallow climb.
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:43 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
I maidened mine last weekend. Set the CG where recommended. Took off nice and straight and level and then it did a sudden roll to the right and a death dive. Oh well, guess I have some parts I can use on future aircraft like esc's, retracts, etc.

There appeared to be absolutely nothing wrong with the radio. Everything worked perfectly when picking up the pieces.

It actually acted like a snap roll on takeoff, indicating it was seriously tail heavy. Strange, the CG was right on and I was making a conservative shallow climb.
Ok-------Take everything and set it aside for a week.
then reasses the damage.
The one thing about foamies ----with glue, tape and CF rods you can repair
just about anything.
Good Luck and keep us posted
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Does anybody know where to get replacement 3-blade spinners? One of the originals already broke while mounting them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Grayson sells only the spinner and may be closer to Germany than Hong Kong although shipping from Hong Kong has been known to be cheaper than USPS. Either way, check the shipping cost before ordering.
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...er-p-1317.html
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:21 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
Thanks, guys. I can get those here as well, but they are not first grade. As I said, I broke the first one while I was mounting it.
Are there any others around? I have put on some 2-blade props and spinners for the moment, but would like to go back to 3-blade. Just for the looks...
Aussie64 is offline Find More Posts by Aussie64
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Jim

It was seriously windy here in Fla last weekend. Let me toss out some ideas. Some CG ESCs are out of wack. I had one where it would work to 50% throttle fine - perfect infact. But above that it would surge off and on. Until I replaced it, I could coax my GC intothe air and it would fly fine and with enough airspeed, the surgeing motor would just dip a wing. Since this was a maiden, did the motor surge? Could have also caught some turbulance from the winds. That could have flipped you over. Just postulating...

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
did you lose a wing (break right at the fuse). but I'm thinking you put a CF rod in the wing..
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,623 Posts
Quote:
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...op-p-1316.html
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
He's looking for the spinner. Link for that already posted.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
165 Posts
Can bigger than 2200mah batteries be used without mods?

I have not put my new Grand Cruiser together yet. I have the ARF version with the retractable gear. Can a bigger battery be installed without modding the battery area and changing the CG? I have a couple of Turnigy 25C 2200mah batteries but am leery of only getting 5 minute flights with them.
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:29 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrd View Post
I have not put my new Grand Cruiser together yet. I have the ARF version with the retractable gear. Can a bigger battery be installed without modding the battery area and changing the CG? I have a couple of Turnigy 25C 2200mah batteries but am leery of only getting 5 minute flights with them.
I routinely fly my GC with TWO SkyLipo 3S-2200 packs, both crammed into the same battery compartment. See post #1545 for details...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1545

Good luck.

-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Aug 2007
101 Posts
ARF checks - motor + landing gear Q

Finally got some time.

Connected the electronics on the bench this morning. DX7 radio with orange Rx.

- no prop. Right motor stutters (pilot view) when slowly moving the throttle. I think there are some posts on this. Will check ESC settings per comments on earlier posts.

Took panels out where ESC's are ... magnets near ESC & wires ==> correct me here, but I don't think this is not what you like to do?

- landing gear ... puzzled here. The front LG has a 10-15 sec delay relative to the undercarriage which moves without delay. Is this normal?
Garuda is offline Find More Posts by Garuda
Last edited by Garuda; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: adding to question
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, AZ, Wittmann
Joined Oct 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrd View Post
I use the exact same battery, no CG problem. Slides right in no mods needed. Have my timer set for 6 minutes, land with plenty of time to spare.
Wittmann Air is offline Find More Posts by Wittmann Air
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Aug 2007
101 Posts
Stock motor spec

Anyone got the spec on those motors?

I put a fresh battery on with the wattmeter, Zippy 3S 2200 mAh 20C. Was pulling 180W, 15A-16A, which seems low for a 2.6 lb plane. I was hoping closer to 260W-300W.

I reset both ESC to default factory setting to take care of the motor stutter. Please advise.
Garuda is offline Find More Posts by Garuda