SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Yes, I cram both packs into the same hole. On the GC, I've rigged up a short piece of yardstick with Velcro on both sides. I attach the first pack to it, connect it to the Y-harness, then insert it into the GC battery compartment, using it a bit like a tongue depressor. Then I insert the second pack on top of it, so they're end-to-end. The velcro and yardstick hold them in place so they don't move around. This keeps both packs pretty much over the CG.

I've also rigged up a pair of rotating wood locking tabs on both sides of the battery cover so that the cover won't pop off in case the top pack (which becomes the bottom pack when in flight) tries to move downward during any high-G maneuvers.

Here's the specs, including weight, on the extra SkyLipo pack:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl2200-3s1p-40c-3333.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-- Rod[/QUOTE]

OK
Thats about a 20 % increase in weight
But best of all its productive weight not dead weight.
and since your not changing the CG..............is good

next question

Name: 2011-10-16 10.01.02.jpg
Views: 142
Size: 16.0 KB
Description:

Have you had any problem during your high --G manuvers?
or have you gone in and added CF or qther stiffners in the wing.
That seems to be a weak point espesally if you addd the flaps.
Mine didn't really like trying snap rolls..LOL

Thanks Rod this was gr8 info.
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:59 PM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Relic View Post

Thats about a 20 % increase in weight
But best of all its productive weight not dead weight.
and since your not changing the CG..............is good

next question

Attachment 4616828

Have you had any problem during your high --G manuvers?
or have you gone in and added CF or qther stiffners in the wing.
That seems to be a weak point espesally if you addd the flaps.
Mine didn't really like trying snap rolls..LOL

Thanks Rod this was gr8 info.
Yes, funny that you should mention that...
I'm on my second GC for that very reason. My first one, the model with fixed gear, flew nicely but the wings sometimes flexed like a seagull with wing tanks when doing hi-G maneuvers. I always figured one of these days, I need to fix that.

Too late! One day, while simply coming around on a landing approach, the wings folded with a loud crack, and the plane wound up looking like yours did in the photo!

Happily, though, it was that very week when NP began carrying the new model with retracts, and now I had the perfect excuse to buy it. I ordered one, and this time, I reinforced the wing by embedding a carbon fiber arrow shaft accross the bottom of the wing and overlapping the ends of built-in wing braces. It flies great with no wing flapping...

I never understood why Dynam embeds that white CF-like strip in both wing halves, but they don't extend it accross the middle area of the wing. There's no continuity between the two wing reinforments, and that's where it's needed most.

Anyway, I'm back in business with the "new, improved" model after learning from my mistakes (and Dynam's).

Hope this stuff helps.
Good luck,
-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Last edited by rrobbins; Feb 08, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:58 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,225 Posts
Guys, These are scale models! Why the "High G" maneuvers? Fly the model as it was designed, and there is no need for all the extra backyard engineering. The full scale 310 was not designed for acro, nor was the Dynam 310. If I fly the model at full power in a dive (or level flight) and yank the stick back, I expect the wing to fail. I have looped, rolled and done all the sportsman maneuvers in the book on occasion, and the 310 will handle it fine if done correctly. No need to try and turn the airframe into a extra or cap.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Last edited by sj3cub; Feb 09, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:33 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,743 Posts
I took my Grand Cruiser out today with a new Turnigy 35C 3S 2.2A Nano-tech pack. Fits perfectly with no shoving. Flew a 6 minute flight but could have kept going. Two other guys at the field have the plane and were happy to see a battery fit so well.

I see the plane is now $119.95. Unbelievable price. With the NPwinter5 coupon code, it's only $113.95! Can't believe it's that cheap.
YarSmythe is online now Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Hey Scott
A month ago I would have agreed with you.
Including mine I know of 3 that have folded
the wings at "scale flight".and all those broke
the same way in the same place.
If you look at the pictures in my file I think you can see what were talking about.
Also of those that have broken the spar (at our field) all
have had the flaps installed. Which probably didn't help the situation.
Any way thats my story and I'm sticking to it.................
catch ya later
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Aug 2007
101 Posts
Reinforcing GC

Very timely posting ... I just received mine today, and when pulling the wing out, I thought it was too flexible.

I was actually thinking of using fiberglass and recover the wing. I was concerned there is not enough ' meat' to put a long CF rod thru without major 'surgery'.

Anyone with pics on how they strengthen the wing?
Garuda is offline Find More Posts by Garuda
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:22 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
Very timely posting ... I just received mine today, and when pulling the wing out, I thought it was too flexible.

I was actually thinking of using fiberglass and recover the wing. I was concerned there is not enough ' meat' to put a long CF rod thru without major 'surgery'.

It's really no big deal.. I'll post some photos tomorrow AM

(I've gotta hit the sack because I drive a school bus and get up at 0445hrs )
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, AZ, Wittmann
Joined Oct 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Relic View Post
Hey Scott
A month ago I would have agreed with you.
Including mine I know of 3 that have folded
the wings at "scale flight".and all those broke
the same way in the same place.
If you look at the pictures in my file I think you can see what were talking about.
Also of those that have broken the spar (at our field) all
have had the flaps installed. Which probably didn't help the situation.
Any way thats my story and I'm sticking to it.................
catch ya later
I hot glued my flaps as I don't believe they are needed at all. This helped to reinforce the wing somewhat but not as much as you might think. I fly scale so I am not too concerned but if doing wild maneuvers I think reinforcement is needed.
Wittmann Air is offline Find More Posts by Wittmann Air
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:44 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
the flaps don't do squat for reinforcement. you need some carbon reinforcement. just get a $3 arrow shaft and glue it on the bottom. make a groove with soldering iron

i have 2 arrows in the bottom but it is a bit overkill. and heavy. but it flies SUPER SCALE now, like i actually have to watch my speed and throttle because it doesn't behave like a stupid little foam plane anymore. It flies like a real aircraft - you can crash it. you can stall it. you can't just escape from bad situations with "full throttle!!1!!"

I like it but some people won't like it(bad/inexperienced pilots).
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:55 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
the flaps don't do squat for reinforcement. you need some carbon reinforcement. just get a $3 arrow shaft and glue it on the bottom. make a groove with soldering iron

i have 2 arrows in the bottom but it is a bit overkill. and heavy. but it flies SUPER SCALE now, like i actually have to watch my speed and throttle because it doesn't behave like a stupid little foam plane anymore. It flies like a real aircraft - you can crash it. you can stall it. you can't just escape from bad situations with "full throttle!!1!!"

I like it but some people won't like it(bad/inexperienced pilots).
I did a similar thing with my second GC. I carved out a channel accross the bottom of the wing extending from the outside of both engine nacelles. The channel runs all the way across the wing bottom, and parallel with the OEM wing reinforment strips embedded in the wing (but which do NOT exend ACROSS the bottom of the wing for some reason, since that's where most of the stress will occur. Go figure... )

I filled the entire channel about 2/3 deep with 30 minute expoxy, then pressed a carbon fiber arrow shaft into the epoxy. I rolled it around in the liquid a few times to get it completely covered. After 24 hours, I painted over it with a flat white exterior latex.

Plane flies great, even under high-G maneuvers (and a double battery pack load!) No more "seagull"-like flexing. I think that Dynam kinda missed the boat by not exending their own wing reinforcement strips all the way accross the wing.

FWIW, I also hot-glued my flaps into place after one of them separated from the wing in flight. (I just taped them to the wing before. Air-flow vibration must have weakened the foam hinging and tape over time.) Flaps are great fun and really interesting to use on some planes, but the GC just doesn't need them to do great landings.

Regards,
-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Last edited by rrobbins; Feb 10, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:01 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobbins View Post
I did a similar thing with my second GC. I carved out a channel accross the bottom of the wing extending from the outside of both engine nacelles. The channel runs all the way across the wing bottom, and parallel with the OEM wing reinforment strips embedded in the wing (but which do NOT exend ACROSS the bottom of the wing for some reason, since that's where most of the stress will occur.
Same as I did. No big deal and helps a lot.

Has anyone changed the motors on the GC? I don't like this screw-like shaft at all...
Aussie64 is offline Find More Posts by Aussie64
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:57 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
I'll still stand by and say that unless you break the wing and if you fly with a recommended load (2200 mAh pack and no FPV, etc.) there is no need for a supplemental spar. Some flex is OK, and EPO does flex. For the record, I did break my wing due to a gear down "landing" in sand and added a helper CF spar that goes from nacelle to nacelle and stayes inside the LG wells. Not overkill, damn near invisible and the wing still has some flex.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Feb 10, 2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Fat fingers on an iPad
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:15 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,743 Posts
Agree with Jim. I see no reason to add an additional spar unless you are flying like a bat-out-of-hell full throttle the entire time. Fly it scale, it will treat you well.

...maybe add a roll or two for good measure.

Very happy with this plane. I wouldn't change a thing...except for the ugly decals.
YarSmythe is online now Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda View Post
I was concerned there is not enough ' meat' to put a long CF rod thru without major 'surgery'.

Here's the pic.....I cut channel out with hobby knife and dug the channel to it's proper depth with a sharpened brass tube. CF is affixed with a little 5min epoxy at the ends, but rest of it is affixed with the white Gorilla Glue.
bamaguy is online now Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
I had not heard of the arrow spar ....... so I cut 3 pc's of 5/16 CF cut about 5 in long, for each side ,ground a point on one end and shoved it from inside of wing thru break to motor and wheel welladded CA ass needed (everywhere) used white duct tape.(I can fix antthing -----where's the duct tape) So far seems to be doing the trick.