HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
Grand Cruiser on Grass fields

I most generally fly off a grass field. It is located on a State Park and is maintained by the State, so sometimes the grass may be a little higher than we would like to have it.
I used the stock gear that came on the plane for my first few attempts, but bought the electric retracts from HobbyKing that has the 5mm gear and changed the stock wheels for ones that were 2 1/4 inch diameter. I believe the stock wheels were 1 3/4 inch.
I used my dremel tool to enlarge the cutouts for the main wheels as well as do some trimming for the nose gear. The nose gear is made from a standard main retract that was modified to rotate for steering.
After my modifications, I have had no problems with takeoff or landings as well as taxi to and from the pit area.
In the enclosed pictures, you will see a small micro lever swithc in the side of the wheel cutout. That is activated by the wheel during operation and turns on/off the landing lights. You can also see where I enstalled a carbon arrow shaft for reinforcement.
I hope this info helps those concerned about operation on less than Golf Green grass runways!
Wayne
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
From a different perspective, the v2 version (with retracts installed) - the mains are pretty robust and the flex goes against the side where the nose gear flexes against the retract mechanism. On my geotex runway, the nose gear does flex a bit more than I would like. I think on grass or dirt, it would eventually fail. So the answer is either use fixed gear (blech!) or stronger retracts.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
u have 2222 posts now haha
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Aug 2007
101 Posts
retracts on grass

Thanks for the pics. Easy upgrade and larger wheels.
Garuda is offline Find More Posts by Garuda
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Fudge!

Got home after flying this morning - the winds picked up and was getting turbulent. The GC flew great, perfect 2/1 landings. Got home and I was putting her away, I noticed the clear lens on the port side nav light was missing. Checked the car - nope. Where it fell off in 5 acres of grass - who knows.

Jim
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Jim, I have an extra one for you if you want it.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Yeah - that would be great - if you can send it. Chack PM

Jim
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:10 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
Hey guys! Where is the CG on this plane? I picked one up at a swap meet but didn't get the manual and can't find it online.

Thanks,
Jim
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:31 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
Hey guys! Where is the CG on this plane? I picked one up at a swap meet but didn't get the manual and can't find it online.

Thanks,
Jim
55mm - 65mm aft of the wing LE between the motor and fuse. I use a 2200 mah bat and on the balancer, it's quite nose heavy. Had to put a big weight just behind the belly opening to balance it.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:29 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
55mm - 65mm aft of the wing LE between the motor and fuse. I use a 2200 mah bat and on the balancer, it's quite nose heavy. Had to put a big weight just behind the belly opening to balance it.
somethings not right then. Ive used both 3 and 4 s batts in her and never had to add weight. Have you tried to fly her w/o the added weight yet?

FWIW, Im always gonna use a 4s from here on out too. Now she flys with some
authority rather than barely able to make turns in headwinds. I do use a UBEC
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:38 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
somethings not right then. Ive used both 3 and 4 s batts in her and never had to add weight
I agree something isn't right.
It's just stuff and go. I have played with the velcro attachment but haven't figured an easier way to get the battery back out.
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:31 AM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
896 Posts
Thanks guys! Mine balances right at the 55mm mark with a 2200mAh 3S pack.
I keep a broken prop blade in my flight box. You can shove it down between the velcro layers and pop the battery loose, then pull it out. A good way to get a battery into a tight spot with velcro is with a piece of card stock or heavy paper. Put the paper into the battery compartment on top of the velcro, slide the battery in, pull out the paper! Voila!
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:48 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
somethings not right then. Ive used both 3 and 4 s batts in her and never had to add weight. Have you tried to fly her w/o the added weight yet?
No, the weather here hasn't been cooperative (too cold or too windy). I used a CG balancer and that's what it took to balance it.

I'll be very careful on the first flight in case it needs severe trim to fly. It'll be easy enought to rip that weight out if it really doesn't belong there.
I also have a Dynam DC-3 Skybus that I've flown many times on a 2200 3S, with no additional weight. I've also put the Grand Cruiser 3-bladed props on it. With both the stock 2-blade and the 3-blade on 3S, the DC-3 has no problems with flying with "authority" in a wind. I'm expecting the Grand Cruiser to be just as capable on 3S. I believe both use the same powertrain.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
Thanks guys! Mine balances right at the 55mm mark with a 2200mAh 3S pack.
I keep a broken prop blade in my flight box. You can shove it down between the velcro layers and pop the battery loose, then pull it out. A good way to get a battery into a tight spot with velcro is with a piece of card stock or heavy paper. Put the paper into the battery compartment on top of the velcro, slide the battery in, pull out the paper! Voila!

thanks sailr
sure seems easy when ya have an answere
thanks
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:50 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
No, the weather here hasn't been cooperative (too cold or too windy). I used a CG balancer and that's what it took to balance it.

I'll be very careful on the first flight in case it needs severe trim to fly. It'll be easy enought to rip that weight out if it really doesn't belong there.
I also have a Dynam DC-3 Skybus that I've flown many times on a 2200 3S, with no additional weight. I've also put the Grand Cruiser 3-bladed props on it. With both the stock 2-blade and the 3-blade on 3S, the DC-3 has no problems with flying with "authority" in a wind. I'm expecting the Grand Cruiser to be just as capable on 3S. I believe both use the same powertrain.
They do. But they have threaded shafts which bend and snap easily. check out the 310/GC thread and look at what a guy whom goes by 'Chatch" has found some really cheap but better motors. He's got vid of him wringing the doo doo out of his. Theyre both great planes and at a very reasonable price
Fwiw. I have a ubec in my GC and run 4s with NO trim difference. It really hauls the mail with the 4s
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare