HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Hobby Lobby eRC Micro Stik Ready to Fly

Hobby Lobby has a new addition to their micro lineup with the eRC Micro Stik. This ready to fly model comes with everything you need to get in the air quickly, a radio with built-in charger, two single cell LiPo batteries and streamers!

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:16.6"
Wing Area:75 sq in
Wing type:Molded foam
AUW weight:Advertised 28g Actual 27/28g
Length:14.3
Wing loading:~1.7-2.1 oz/sq. ft.
Transmitter:e RC 2.4GHz Micro Transmitter (included)
Servos:2 micro proportional included
Receiver:2 channel with integrated ESC
Battery:2 single cell (1s) 130 & 150 mAh LiPo
Motor:Brushed 7mm
US distributor:Hobby Lobby
e RC Micro Stick RTF:e RC Micro Stik RTF
ARF Price:$74.99

Hobby Lobby, long a leader in electric RC flight, has teamed up with eRC and brings us the new, ready to fly, budget Micro Stik. This small plane is a total blast to fly. The Micro Stik easily slows down and is capable of mild cruising, but when you pour on the power it is extremely responsive and very aerobatic! I was shocked by such great versatility, especially considering the budget price.

The new Micro Stik is ready to fly right out of the box, zero assembly required. Everything needed for flight is included in with the eRC Micro Stik offering, and they even included a second battery for double the run time. This was certainly a welcome addition: one can never have too many batteries.

Kit Contents

The review package shipped from Hobby Lobby and it arrived in perfect condition. It was exceptionally well packaged, and the foam shipping box allows the contents to remain isolated and protected from shifting during shipment.

RTF includes:

• Ready to fly Micro Stik
  • eRC's 2.4GHz Micro transmitter with integrated 1s charger
  • 2 - 1s LiPo batteries 130 & 150 mAh
  • 4 - AA batteries for transmitter and its integrated charger

Kit requires:

• Nothing else needed

Included for this review:

<font size=-2>Included eRC Micro Series 2.4GHz mini transmitter</font>
Included eRC Micro Series 2.4GHz mini transmitter
Type:2.4GHz
Battery:4 dry AA cells

<font size=-2>eRC 1s LiPo Charger</font>
eRC 1s LiPo Charger
Integrated charger:1s LiPo packs

<font size=-2>2 - LiPo 1s battery packs</font>
2 - LiPo 1s battery packs
Capacity:130mAh
Capacity:150mAh
Weight:130mAh ~4g
Weight:150mAh ~5g

No Assembly Required!

The eRC Micro Stik from Hobby Lobby is completely ready to fly. There is no assembly, you just install the 4 AA batteries in the transmitter, charge the flight battery and you are ready to go.

Done by the factory:

• Radio was bound and ready to use
  • Power system installed and ready for use
  • Model was completely assembled
  • Colorful factory markings installed on the Micro Stik

Power system

The eRC Micro Stik from Hobby Lobby has a 7mm brushed can motor and gearbox installed at the factory. An integrated receiver, ESC and servo block was used in this micro model. This micro brick containing the receiver, servos and ESC are very common for this size aircraft. That setup saves weight and complexity.

The tiny, brushed 7mm motor provided stunning power for the Micro Stik. I was very impressed with the get up and go this 1 ounce model had. Thrust was excellent largely due to the large ~5.75 inch propeller. While the prop was low pitch, speed was still more than adequate for a micro.

Battery

I really liked that Hobby Lobby included not one, but two 1s LiPo packs with the eRC Micro Stik. Considering the low price, I did not expect that, but it certainly was welcome!

Packs were of differing capacity: one 130mAh and the other a larger 150mAh pack. Performance of both of these packs was excellent allowing for ~5 and 7 minute flights respectively. I did prefer the smaller pack, it still had the power punch of the larger, but the lighter weight was noticeable in aerobatics!

I really liked that both the battery and the connectors have small red dots on them to assure connecting the tiny micro connectors properly. It's a nice touch that might save your system from a forced reverse polarity connection!

The transmitter includes an integrated charger and charging lead for the 1s batteries. When charging, the transmitter has a yellow LED located above the power LED on the transmitter. Yellow on solid indicates charging, and when the LED goes out, the battery is ready for use.

Transmitter

The eRC transmitter is a 2.4GHz system. The receiver was bound to the transmitter from the factory. After I inserted the included 4 AA size alkaline cells, the system was ready for use.

This Mode 2 transmitter also includes nice digital, button-type trims for each of the flight controls. Power is indicated by a single red LED just above the power switch.

Finish

The Micro Stik surfaces and wing are made from molded white foam. The white foam was attractive and very visible in flight. The eRC Micro Stik also has an attractive, two color, red and blue decal. This attractive scheme really makes the Stik stand out.

CG

With the 1s 130mAh pack placed in the forward section of the tray, the Micro Stik balanced at about roughly 28% of the chord. As with most micro models, the CG range is variable due to the light wing loading common with the micro aircraft.

Slower flight can be attained with a more rearward placement of the battery packs. The larger 150 mAh pack did have the plane nose heavy when that pack was placed all the way forward. It was easy to pull the battery back in the clip type holder, for better aerobatics and slow flight.

Rates and transmitter setup

The included 2.4GHz radio system is brand specific to eRC and is not compatible with any other systems. The transmitter has digital button-type trim controls. It was easy to locate the trim controls in flight and the small transmitter was easy to hold.

The control surface rates are not recommended in the manual, common for this type of model. Even though the model comes with the least amount of control authority, I found the eRC Micro Stik to be quite responsive. Excellent!

The elevator and rudder are factory set so control authority was very positive. In fact, the stick with a full charge would perform consecutive loops, one after another within a small 5-6 foot diameter. I could tell this was no ordinary micro airplane!

Control surface throws are a very personal preference, and the Micro Stik allows the users to use more control authority by changing to a more inner hole on the control horns. I found the controls to be just right.

Flying

The Micro Stik is a tiny plane that can be flown in very small areas. I did the first flights outside in dead calm wind conditions. I was stunned by the power and climb rate of this tiny micro. It was clear this was not an ordinary stick, but rather a real acrobatic performer!

Takeoff and Landing

Takeoff is quick with the large, almost 6" propeller. The model takes very little roll out and jumped in the air quickly. Climb outs were very brisk with the large propeller. Landings were easy, generally controlled with very little power and careful elevator and throttle to control sink.

Special Flight Characteristics

A surprise for me was the flight prowess of this tiny Micro Stik. I was thinking in terms of ordinary micro stick type aircraft I have flown. I quickly learned that you should not put the eRC Micro Stik in that category. This model was far more capable. It rewarded me with rudder, elevator aerobatics, and I found it to be responsive and powerful!

The plane stalls very predictably for a model with a micro ~2 in/oz wing loading. It was hard to stall this model, due to that micro wing loading, so not many worries with any unexpected bad behavior.

Loops require about half power and are a total blast with the Micro Stik. Jam the throttle to full and hold full up and it will do consecutive loops with almost zero altitude loss, well into the battery run. I was amazed by this micro model.

Vertical performance is certainly not unlimited, but the power and climb out are more than you would expect for a model of this size. Check out the second video showing a vertical takeoff, no question this is not ordinary by any means. It has excellent flight performance!

Thanks to Ronnie for excellent pictures and Doug for the fantastic video!

Is this plane for a beginner?

You bet, the small micro models are very good for first time pilots. This eRC Micro Sick was very responsive however, so easy does it on the throttle while learning.

Flight Video

Downloads

Conclusion

When first opening the box it was quickly apparent that the Hobby Lobby eRC Micro Stik was no ordinary micro airplane. It was very impressive in the air, and it looked fantastic. I was pleased by the attractive scheme and markings. It was a small marvel, well designed and completely ready to fly.

Once the 4 AA batteries were installed in the included 2.4GHz transmitter system, I was ready to fly. A quick top off of the 1s batteries with the integrated charger had me in the air less than 5 minutes minutes.

I liked that there was no separate charger unit for the eRC Micro Stik. The charger was built into the transmitter, for a all in one package. A nice yellow LED gave you charge status, it turns off when the charge completed.

With the budget price of the Micro Stik I was not expecting any extras but the Hobby Lobby offering had both a 130 and 150 mAh 1s LiPo batteries. Double the flight time at a budget price, fantastic!

I should have been clued into something about flight performance when I noticed the included streamer in the Micro Stik. Combat! No question with the powerful 7mm brushed motor the Micro Stik was ready for some fun combat action.

The eRC Micro Stik was able to fly at very slow rates, especially when you move the battery pack back a bit. At full throttle the Micro Stik leaps off the ground and climbs to height very quickly. You can do consecutive loops right in front of your face, needless to say I was more than impressed. Do not think ordinary here, this micro stick is a performer!

I highly recommend the eRC Micro Stik from Hobby Lobby. The budget price, two batteries and excellent flight performance make this a total winner. Get one today - trust me!

Hits:

• Attractive red and blue Micro Stik decals
  • Instruction manual was helpful and in plain English
  • Zero assembly time
  • Excellent performance with the included 7mm brushed motor and large prop
  • Two included 1s batteries (130 & 150mAh)
  • Streamer for combat flight!
  • Excellent aerobatic performance

Misses:

• CG a bit too forward with the larger pack pushed all the way forward

Check it out the hobby shop or buy direct at Hobby Lobby.

Last edited by Angela H; Dec 15, 2010 at 02:50 AM..

Discussion

Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:14 PM
Roanoke Texas
Joined Jun 2007
360 Posts
Mike

Great flyer, and yes you need to work on your catching a little. Nice review.

Doug
Douglas C is offline Find More Posts by Douglas C
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:42 PM
Check my blog!
Rochester(ish) NY
Joined Nov 2010
276 Posts
awesome review and videos, im always on the lookout for new info on the micro stik
great fun! The first shipment sold out and now im waiting for mine to come in, but it got delayed 2 months from the expected date
Have you tried combat with it? Because im debating to get a 2nd so i can fly with my friends and hopefully get them interested in RC flying ( ive been trying for a while, but never been confident enough to hand over the transmitter for a 5' wingspan plane )
thanks greatly pda!
roflmcwaffle is offline Find More Posts by roflmcwaffle
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:02 AM
Bedford, Texas
Joined Dec 2006
62 Posts
Mike,

Looks like another excellent candidate for flying at the "Ranch" (Boys Ranch Activity Center). Nice review and excellent photography by Ronnie and Doug. Wish it was available BNF. I know, wrong company.

Rod
Electricrod is offline Find More Posts by Electricrod
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:31 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Thanks gang!

No we have not tried combat - yet! Yes get two, it would be a fun thing for sure!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2010
19 Posts
Great Review now do the eflight batteries work in it?
Corey s is offline Find More Posts by Corey s
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:36 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Yes they do...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:52 PM
Sherman, TX
Joined Aug 2003
342 Posts
Micro Stik

Good review, of course. Where do they fit between the Ember and the Vapor; speed and etc.
thanks....Joe
jed1d is online now Find More Posts by jed1d
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:58 PM
Check my blog!
Rochester(ish) NY
Joined Nov 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1d View Post
Good review, of course. Where do they fit between the Ember and the Vapor; speed and etc.
thanks....Joe
faster and better than both, from the looks of the video
Ill let pda fill you in though cause he owns it
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:01 PM
Sherman, TX
Joined Aug 2003
342 Posts
Champ

Champ is the best I have flown of all of them. It will fly slow, or fast, or outdoors.
jed1d is online now Find More Posts by jed1d
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:54 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Quote:
thanks....Joe
Faster than both and slower than the Ember. A great combo of speed an aerobatics. I am loving it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:55 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Champ is the best I have flown of all of them. It will fly slow, or fast, or outdoors.
Have you flown this one?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:53 AM
Bedford, Texas
Joined Dec 2006
62 Posts
But, it is on back order! Bummer!

Rod
Electricrod is offline Find More Posts by Electricrod
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:05 AM
Check my blog!
Rochester(ish) NY
Joined Nov 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricrod View Post
But, it is on back order! Bummer!

Rod
yup... They were origanlly due mid november, but the ship got deelayed at customs and it wont be till January
THey prolly lost alot of business for christmas shoppers on th at
Old Dec 22, 2010, 09:56 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflmcwaffle View Post
yup... They were origanlly due mid november, but the ship got deelayed at customs and it wont be till January
THey prolly lost alot of business for christmas shoppers on th at
How does this compare to the ember2 or the night vapor?
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5