Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:26 AM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,181 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing USA warehouse.

From an email.
Take a look at our planes with USPS shipping!
Now that HobbyKing.com has its own warehouse in USA you can get
low cost shipping on large parcels, such as this large scale EPO
SuperMarine Spitfire for just $139.99 & about $15 shipping!
Just click the USA Warehouse link in the homepage or search for
'USA Warehouse'.
Many more new products to arrive soon.
Stay tuned!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...14513&aff=8620
neck is offline Find More Posts by neck
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,427 Posts
cool
12345 is offline Find More Posts by 12345
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:04 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,211 Posts
Wonder what their Customer Support we be like though...
Granted, alot of their stuff is *throw-away* (china batteries, servos, etc.).

After having been in the hobby and working in the industry for so many years now, I can tell you this:

The true value of the product comes from the place you bought it from.
- You'll be left with a bad taste in your mouth if you spend your hard earned money on something you want, only to have it go bad and not have someone to fall back on for help.
- But if you have a product go bad, and have piece of mind that there will be someone there to help out... that will save your day and keep you coming back

Plus, there's NO WAY I would trust the stuff I care about flying to 1/2 the stuff coming out that website.
You get what you pay for!

Support your local shop boys,

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:21 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
I wouldn't expect any warrenty support for any HK products. Thats the risk I take for buying anything from HK and I understand and accept that.

Thanks Neck
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Last edited by fly4fun; Sep 28, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:57 PM
Totally!!
USA, AZ, Tempe
Joined Jan 2009
1,063 Posts
note the name FLY4FUN, not for a living..... I wish I could do it for a living sitting at this desk is getting really old....
bolibruch1 is offline Find More Posts by bolibruch1
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:22 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,211 Posts
Very few of their products are worth anything, really.

Cheap Servos? for $4 a pop, I will gladly put them in my foamies and beater planes all day!
But you won't catch me running a Turnigy servo in anything over a couple of lbs...
1.) I want good quality servos because they make my plane fly better
2.) Why would you want to risk your model (that you've already spent your hard earned cash on) to inferior components and possibly damage your model, or worse... somebody's property?

Just my thoughts.
I'd rather pay a little extra for a far superior product that I can depend on to work right, and do what I tell it, when I tell it to.

Their batteries for example, have a love-hate thing going on here in the forums:

--- Some people love them for their ridiculously attractive pricing! So they buy two or three of them.
Then they get weak power, inconsistent runs, and short battery cycle life. (relatively speaking)

--- Others who have ponied up for a "brand name" battery more often than not see the light and realize what they're getting for the extra cash.
Much better power, the same performance on every run, and battery life pushing 5x that of 'cheapy' brand packs.
AND then of course you have your customer support, and manufacturer's incentives. Some manufacturer's even offer up to 50% off a new battery when you give them your crashed pack. Try that with China... I'm willing to bet all you'll receive is a, "We so sorry!" email.

Believe me, I've had tons of people come up to me at shows and tell me, "I'm running the same gear that you are! How come yours looks like it's flying faster and easier?!"
It all comes down to the quality of components.

Just trying to stir up a hornet's nest here...

Vic
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:32 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,181 Posts
I have to admit I bought a lot of stuff from HK to get my slow stick in the air. As I buy more exspensive airplanes I'll likely buy more local.

I've been burned once from HK when I bought a $40 camera to mount on my slow stick that never worked from the day I recieved it. They wanted me to ship it back before I could get a replacement. Shipping was close to $15. I gave the lipo away to someone on RCgroups.

I'm glad I bought my batteries from HK. Some of my batteries have only lasted 4 flights before I slammed them into the ground.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:54 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
There are plenty of threads for HK Bashing and many many Positive comments too. To each of their own.

I have a rule of thumb. Don't buy cheap components that is going to make my airplanes unsafe. I only buy Spectrum for TX and Receivers and Hitec for servos. HK Motors, chargers, and ESC I had good luck with them. Go ahead and Pay 300% more.

Vic not everyone has sponsors. Im not that good.
Last edited by fly4fun; Sep 28, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun View Post
There are plenty of threads for HK Bashing and Positive comments too. To each of their own.

I have a rule of thumb. Don't buy cheap components that is going to make my airplanes unsafe. I only buy Spectrum for TX and Receivers and Hitec for servos. HK Motors, chargers, and ESC I had good luck with them. Go ahead and Pay 300% more.

Hey do you think I could get a sponsor? Anyone want something crash tested I'm a perfect pilot.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:10 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun View Post
Yes Dave, we know you're not that good...
But you don't have to be sponsored to appreciate the difference between good and "cheap" components.

You guys bring up a good point.
Cheap stuff absolutely has a place in this hobby. They are great as a cheap alternative, especially if you know that your plane/equipment is not expected to last long.

But many of you guys, here in the Club, have come to me for suggestions.
When my Friends ask for advice, I don't recommend them to crap components.
BeLiEvE iT oR nOt... I wasn't always a sponsored pilot, and I used to buy stuff all on my own, and I've used Hobbycity stuff before.

Guys, you can fly whatever you want obviously. My goal here is just to shed light on what you get from HC.... there are threads all over this place teeming with love and hate for the place.

Me? I don't "hate" the place.
But once you fly "the good stuff", you appreciate the quality vs. the cheap stuff.
It's no crime to be an advocate for superior quality products, excellent customer support, and supporting your local shops/economy.

Vic
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,444 Posts
There is nothing I enjoy more than walking into a local hobby store and supporting them by buying what I need.

Unfortunately I can't walk out with everything I need without skipping a house payment...

Heck, I used to be in the biz years ago and know from experience you can't have everything customers want anyway and if you try, you'll go broke doing it.

So, I make a good effort to shop local when possible but for somethings it's hard not go to HK or Headsup or others online that provide items that I don't need to spend a fortune on.

Vic, you have a unique perspective and it's your job to talk up the local shops/distributors which is awesome but, reality is different for most of us. We'll take our chances and probably end up at the LHS buying what failed from "other" sources anyway
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:36 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
I'm a Happy HK customer and will continute to be one. I know my purchase risk and take my chances.

Skip the Mortgage payment is a good suggestion though.
Last edited by fly4fun; Sep 28, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:58 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,430 Posts
HK Web Site Down?

It's not responding, at least for me.

Working for you?

/I'll bet it's pretty out there
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:05 PM
Jeremy-I'm crash proof!
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2008
4,181 Posts
Someone broke it. Maybe they are using server hardware that's inferior!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:09 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
HK has its place in the hobby. I sure am thanking myself for adding 5 packages of x-acto knife blades on my last order!

But, the best service comes from local companies:

Aero-model (Hacker Motors)
BMK Designs (Scorpion Motors)
LHS's for building supplies, props, paints, covering, & Horizon Hobby & Hyperion planes & parts.
EJF for HET, RCLander, FLYFLY, planes & accessories.
And Richard at Airshow RC is VERY customer oriented.
Pat G. has just started his own business (Nicco Hobbies) for flat-plate foamies & accesories.
We have another club member who makes slow-stick LG, tail wheel, and motor mount upgrades.

The great thing is that we KNOW these people and they KNOW us. We support them, they support us... everybody wins!
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast