Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Arcteryxxx, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:48 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Excellent work Peter!

Can't wait to see how it goes with your 22/45/1E!

Thanks Peter!
Btw: it's not a 45...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 01:49 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
Some closeups
Old Oct 10, 2010, 02:12 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
You must have some limits dialed into your transmitter with those long servo arms ... ????

I find that elevator tends to stay @ 100% throw and about 40% expo, but aileron gets reduced to about 50% throw on 60% expo on mine. Did you end up close to those settings ?

How do you like the hinge up front on the covers ?

Instead of cutting an air inlet for the ESC, would you consider just cutting off the rear cover so that the back 33% of the ESC shows......... you would be getting more air through the battery area AND getting more air to your ESC as well.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:18 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Did you end up close to those settings ?

How do you like the hinge up front on the covers ?

Instead of cutting an air inlet for the ESC, would you consider just cutting off the rear cover so that the back 33% of the ESC shows......... you would be getting more air through the battery area AND getting more air to your ESC as well.
Pretty close to your settings. I have 50% throw and no expo on low rate which I use most of the time and 80% throw and 50% expo on high rate for insane rolls.
I will follow your suggestions by cutting the rear part of the cover on the 22-model. And I love the hinge arrangement! I used hot glue to fix the cover parts together and than ran two strips of Dave Brown CF tape glassed to the underside of the lid. Actually I'm building a custom cover made from a white plastic bottle for my new one.

Another thing: I did shave the wingtips like Chipped Prop suggested. Since this is my first fully glassed Stryker I don't have a good reference, but this thing glides just as well as my MPX Blizzard! I put it in a vertical and at about 250 meters I shut down the motor, causing it to flip over. Then dove about 100 meter vertically and flattened it out and did two full 200m diameter circles before having to throttle up again at an altitude of about 20m This was with a 4S4000 where CG is dead on the dimples and the total weight is about 1,7kg. It even makes the hotliner whhooooooooossssshh sound when it passes in good speed power off. The ability to use this as a sort of hotliner is really what impresses me the most!
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:44 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
1. Actually I'm building a custom cover made from a white plastic bottle for my new one.

2. Another thing: I did shave the wingtips like Chipped Prop suggested. Since this is my first fully glassed Stryker I don't have a good reference, but this thing glides just as well as my MPX Blizzard! I put it in a vertical and at about 250 meters I shut down the motor, causing it to flip over. Then dove about 100 meter vertically and flattened it out and did two full 200m diameter circles before having to throttle up again at an altitude of about 20m This was with a 4S4000 where CG is dead on the dimples and the total weight is about 1,7kg.
1. Can you do a detailed pic array so we can see your creative genius at work ??

2. Did you cut exactely 45 deg or did you do the old LAR (looks About Right) method ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:20 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
Bungee launcher

This weekend it was also maiden for my new bungee launcher. It was really a no-brainer and took me about an hour to build.

Materials used:
5 meters of 25mm PVC tube
6 knee bends
4 T couplers
4 32mm saddles
2 pieces of plank
2 keychain rings
Some screws and 1/4 stick of hot glue
Hobbyking 8mm bungee cord http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...dProduct=10609

I cut the 5meter tube into:
2* 125 cm (length)
2* 55 cm (front legs)
3* 30 cm (width)
2* 25 cm (back legs)

Cut off the top of the long tube on two of the Ts and attach them to the top of the front legs. This way you can click the long tubes into place and there's no edge that can damage your plane as it slides over it.

The HK bungee has a lot of power but you need to fold it once making it double. As you can see from the lanuch in the last video I have made a beam between the front legs. This adds to stability of course but it also allows me to use a longer cord to hook up the plane than the cord which goes to the trigger. By doing this the keychain ring attached to the trigger cord will not go further back than the back of the nosecone during launch and it will be out of the way if I should throttle up too early.

The bungee launch is really very easy, and I recommend it!
BTW: I have a 30% positive elevator input "launch mode" activated from launch until an altitude of 10 meters is reached.
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Oct 13, 2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:05 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
Wing tip spoilers - Hoerner wing

Here's a modification I did to the Sleipner:

I shaved (sanded) off the bottom of the last 1/2 inch making an angle of about 45 degrees or so upward (Mopar: this is LAR - no doubt). The reason for this is simple and you can read about it here: (scroll down to the "Wing Tip"-section) http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/design/design.html
and here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...CHEwingtip.php

It might be even better if I had angled the wing tip all the way through and I might try that later. It would be really cool if someone with a glassed Stryker could do this conversion and tell me if there was any difference before and after
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Oct 12, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:21 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
C'mon Pete, Your've got your new motor, what are you waiting for?
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:53 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
CC graphs

Need4spd: take a look
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:54 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
Quote:
C'mon Pete, Your've got your new motor, what are you waiting for?
Just waiting for the glassing to cure on my new one...
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:25 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Ah, so its not going in Sleipner?
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:52 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
Quote:
Ah, so its not going in Sleipner?
No. I have found I have to move the CG a little bit further towards the nose to get it in balance with the Mighty MEGA, and since Sleipner is perfect on the dimples with the 16/25 and a 4S4000 I chose to build another. It will be ready in a week or so as I plan to lay the finishing layer of glassing over the nose and battery compartment tonight. Just elevons, painting and mounting left after that. This one will be very similar to Sleipner with the same CF layout, but it will have some smaller veriticals and it will not be a top hinge job fastening the elevons.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:02 AM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
BIG MEGA for HUGE fun!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:19 AM
Joined Aug 2004
976 Posts
Here's my guesses. MEGA 22/40/1e, 22/35/1.5RE.
tho98027 is offline Find More Posts by tho98027
Old Oct 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tho98027 View Post
Here's my guesses. MEGA 22/40/1e, 22/35/1.5RE.
And the prize goes to .....THO98027!!!!! 22/40/1E it is!