HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
29 Posts
Question
Nitoplanes Airfield RC 55 Trainer $139.00

This noob is;
thinking of buying an Airfield RC 55 Trainer from Nitroairplanes. Does anyone own or know any thing about it?
Nitro’s description makes is sound really good, but can the electronics be used in other planes? Does the TX have buddy port? (Futaba compatable!)
Can it perform as they say? I think the statement 3D Aerobatic Performance maybe over stated
This would be my first RTF So I'm unsure of buy on line site un- seen

Features
“ Perfect for all levels: Beginners, Middle-level users, or Experienced Pilots
RTF: Ready to Fly right out of the box (Everything included and 90% assembled)
Easy to construct with pre-installed electronics (motors, servos and speed controllers)
Beautiful design and great details: Resembles a real plane
Factory-finished with stunning appearances
3D Aerobatic Performance
Construction: Lightweight, strong, and crash resistant
Easy take off: effortlessly depart from the ground or your hand
Powerful Brushless Outrunner Motor (800kv) and 25A Brushless ESC
Strong wing designed for smooth airflow providing exceptional stability, and great ease to control and fly even in wind conditions
Full function 4 Channel Futaba compatible transmitter with mixing: Aileron control, Elevator control, Rudder, and Throttle.
Durable pre-colored foam fuselage, wings, and tail
Expert-designed propellers and steer-able front landing gear
Battery: High Quality Rechargeable 11.1V 1800mah Li-Polymer Battery for 20 minutes flight time (Upgradeable optional battery for even longer flight time).
90 Minutes auto peak detection charger
25Amp Brushless Electronic Speed Controller”

Wingspan: 55.5in/1410mm
Overall Length:40.5in/1030mm
Flying Weight: 1100g
Wing Area: 27.35dm˛
Wing Loading: 34g/dm˛
Drive System: Brushless Outrunner Motor (800kv)
Servo: 4X 9g High Speed Micro Servos
Speed Controller: 25A Brushless ESC
Battery: 11.1V 1800mAh Li-Poly
Control System: 2.4Ghz 4 CH Multi-functional FHSS Radio Transmitter and 6 CH Micro Receiver
Radio Control Range: 3000 Feet (1000m

Thinks for any info
hyed is offline Find More Posts by hyed
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:44 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Hogwash on the beginners. It isn't for a first time plane as it is marketed to be. It's not necessarily a bad plane, but you really ought to fly an easy, cheap trainer first, maybe the Hawk Sky in the brushless version if you get something from nitro.

The TX is not buddy box compatible. If you know someone to help you use a buddy box, you can upgrade the radio to a Spektrum DX5e with RX for $60. This plane would be ok if you had an experienced trainer to assist you, but no way to learn on your own.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:04 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Was my first plane and i love it
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:18 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
205 Posts
I've been in RC a little less than a year. My first plane was a Hawk Sky (4 Channel) and I still love. Easy to learn and a very forgiving trainer. I've had a lot of flights with this plane in addition to a goodly amount of time on a simulator.

This past Christmas, my three daughters gave me an Airfield 55" Sky Trainer, the exact same plane you are thinking of getting. The Sky Trainer, for me, is more difficult to fly and in my opinion should be considered a second plane.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:24 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
I watched a video of someone flying a 130mph edf for their very first. But its all up to you! I like my skytrainer. I had over a week of 2 hours per night in the sim. Maidened it acnd came home with the same plane in the same condition as I bought it.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:49 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,619 Posts
I learned to fly with the Skytrainer last summer, but then, I had a pretty good coach, who could grab the controls when needed. First few flights, he took off and landed, and I got used to the controls in the air, until I got up the nerve to do the take off myself. Probably not the easiest trainer without that kind of help.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:30 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Ive only flown the skyrainer once so far. During landing i followed the golden rule of landing into the wind. It really helped. The wind helped the plane float down. Only problem on landing was that it was in grass and it nosed over because of the sub par landing gear. got the dubro setup in the works now and well see how it goes. If you have doubts about what the skytrainer go with the hawk. I would have gotten it but i wanted a "plane"
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:48 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,176 Posts
It does pretty well as a trainer. Myself and my brother in law bought one last year. He got 5 training flights on a 60 sized glow powered plane, then I started him on the sky trainer. We did do a few mods to make it a better plane.

First mod was to replace the steering arm with a Dubro unit.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD849&P=ML

Then we bought a set of these to replace the stock ones as they broke.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg90.html

I did the first test flight for him. Trimmed it and away he went. I did land it the first couple of flights. By the end of the day he was charging batteries, taking off, flying around, getting a little bold doing loops and rolls and he did pretty well on landings.

He did fly to long and the BEC kicked in on the "GO" part of his touch and go. He did smack it in but ordered parts and she is flying again.

If you have any one to help, it is a pretty easy to fly plane. Spend some time on a SIM and you should not have much of a problem.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Apr 07, 2011, 12:29 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOsik View Post
I watched a video of someone flying a 130mph edf for their very first. But its all up to you! I like my skytrainer. I had over a week of 2 hours per night in the sim. Maidened it acnd came home with the same plane in the same condition as I bought it.
I agree this is maddeningly true...
This 20 year old member of our club flew a Cessna trainer from the first day, and in two weeks, he was flying jets and an Extra 3D type plane.
I hate him.
ib42 is offline Find More Posts by ib42
Last edited by ib42; Apr 07, 2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:02 AM
a really nice guy, really
Phoenix Intl, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyed View Post
This noob is;

Features
Full function 4 Channel Futaba compatible transmitter with mixing: Aileron control, Elevator control, Rudder, and Throttle.
Control System: 2.4Ghz 4 CH Multi-functional FHSS Radio Transmitter and 6 CH Micro Receiver
Radio Control Range: 3000 Feet (1000m

Thinks for any info
Has anyone proven this radio to be Futaba compatible? I'm loking for compatible 2.4ghz RX's for the FHSS radio that came with my Airfield P-51.

Has anyone confirmed the radio will work with Futaba RX's??
Ralph Brekan is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Brekan
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:23 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
I can't get this plane to bind to my DX6i. The control surfaces on this monster are huge and every stick movement seems exaggerated.

I'd really enjoy it if I could crank the dual rate down to 70% and perhaps a 10-20% expo.

There's a button on the rx that I held down for a few seconds until a red light flashed inside. Then I switched-on my DX6i with the Trainer switch toggled up -- no bind.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

I've held off flying this great-looking plane because the last time I flew it I ended-up taking a 20-foot swim to retrieve it from a pond!

I found a perfect copy of it for my Aerofly Pro Deluxe (for Mac) and I've sim'd this plane for several nights. I am better prepared now, but I really would like it bound to the Spektrum!

Thanks for any advice...
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Apr 12, 2011, 01:48 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
the dx6i is dsm2 and will only bind to spektrum receivers. all 2.4ghs transmitters/receivers are like this.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:52 PM
a really nice guy, really
Phoenix Intl, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
3,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwardflyer View Post
the dx6i is dsm2 and will only bind to spektrum receivers. all 2.4ghs transmitters/receivers are like this.
I agree with you in reference to spektrum, because when it comes to Horizon Hobby, have little doubt they're systems are proprietary and incompatible with competitor brands by design. Just look at their crazy proprietary parkzone 27mHz RTF's from earlier this century.

However, I'm not entirely buying this assertion regarding all FHSS systems. I'm seeing guys binding Turnigy TXs to all sorts of FHSS receivers. Something tells me there is some degree of compatibility between Futaba/Sanwa/Airtronics/Generic out there. But it voids warranty and increases the likely hood of unbinding in flight.

Has anyone confirmed the radio will work with Futaba RX's??
Ralph Brekan is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Brekan
Old Apr 12, 2011, 03:06 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
those are module radios. they have a spot in the back where you put a module(spektrum, futaba, hitec, whatever) and you can use receivers that go with your module. they are nice radios. there a couple rebranded chinese radios that work together but not with the big name brands or most of the other chinese brands
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old May 20, 2011, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
I got this plane as my first plane and I am still learning on it. If I had to do it all over again, I would of gotten a sky hawk or sky surfer type of plane first. I am actually thinking of putting away the Airfield and getting a sky hawk or sky surfer to learn more on, then firing up the Airfield 55' after I learn more on the sky hawk.
mkalani is offline Find More Posts by mkalani