HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:35 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Question
How can the new Radian Pro work with a six-channel receiver?

I don't get it. The new Radian Pro has ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder, and a motor. The photo gallery on the Horizon Hobby site shows the plane in camber and reflex modes, as well as crow mode with ailerons up and flaps down.

How are they doing that with a six-channel receiver? The only way I can think of is that the two flaps servos are linked together. That would require an electronic servo reverser, a special reversed servo on one side, or both flap servos mounted facing the same direction. It doesn't seem likely that they would do something like that but I don't see how else it could be done.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
I want my MoM, again!
Concord, California
Joined Jul 2004
354 Posts
EDIT
My bad, didn't notice the Crow..... you cant crow with this type of connection.

If the AR600 (?) is like the AR500 then see below.
However I can't find any mention of an AR600??????

The AR500 sport aircraft full range 5-channel receiver is perfect for any of your sport applications where 5 channels or less is required. This receiver has a unique aileron configuration which has an additional aileron port. This allows you to plug in a left and a right aileron servo into the receiver independently without using a Y-harness.

Barry
Barry_DVRC is offline Find More Posts by Barry_DVRC
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:03 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike View Post
I don't get it. The new Radian Pro has ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder, and a motor. The photo gallery on the Horizon Hobby site shows the plane in camber and reflex modes, as well as crow mode with ailerons up and flaps down.

How are they doing that with a six-channel receiver? The only way I can think of is that the two flaps servos are linked together. That would require an electronic servo reverser, a special reversed servo on one side, or both flap servos mounted facing the same direction. It doesn't seem likely that they would do something like that but I don't see how else it could be done.
Why can't you do crow with a 6 channel radio?

Elevator - 1
Rudder - 1
Ailerons - 2
Flaps 1 - flaps mounted in same direction or a reverser installed to make them move together. One of my contest planes has the two flap servos mounded in the same direction. No biggie!

Motor 1

6 channels needed.

The Hitec Optic 6 has offered crow mixing for years on a 6 channel radio.

The question is not how many channels you have but what kind of mixing your radio offers.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:08 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,886 Posts
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:44 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Why can't you do crow with a 6 channel radio?
Weird post, aeajr. You started out sounding like you were going to disagree with me but then you essentially repeated what I already said.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:59 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,875 Posts
The ones we played with Saturday evening, had the ailerons on a Y, and the flaps on the Y, so we didn't do any fancy mixing for camber or crow when we set them up. Basically we did motor on a switch, we had flaps, with elevator comp, rudder mixed in to the ailerons, and that is how we flew the one that we got to try. The max flap throw was about 45 degrees, but it did a nice job of steepening up the glide path. I don't imagine that camber would make a great deal of difference, but if/when I get one of my own, I will probably program in a little camber.

As far as flying goes, the airplane was definitely more responsive then the regular Radian, and seemed to basically thermal and fly in the same speed ranges of its older brother. It will be nice to have flaps to help get it down where you want it, the old Radian could really float when it got into ground effect.

I was impressed with how well this refugee from the beer cooler factory would fly, and I would recommend it to anybody looking to step up a notch from their stock old school Radian.

Steve
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:16 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenatorLTFO View Post
...and the flaps on the Y
Thanks. If that's the way they'll all be then that eliminates the electronic servo reverser possibility and narrows it down to either the two flap servos face the same direction, or a special reversed servo is used on one side. Most likely, the two flap servos face the same direction.

That offers all the benefits of a true seven channel full-house electric-powered sailplane except you won't be able to program aileron to flap mixing for increased roll control, and you won't be able to independently trim your flaps with your radio.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:43 PM
the lift is always in the sun!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2008
377 Posts
My experience when I modded the stock wings to be 100" full house and had the motor on a switch, the cheap plastic rear motor housing didn't hold up to the hard starts from the on-off switch.....

Just a word on what we may expect from the new one.... If it is the same motor as the old one. I use a 9303 radio, so I would put the motor on a slider or something that offers a soft start.

I will definitely buy the Pro, but will probably change out the motor (the Turnigy 35-36c is a killer motor for $25.00)

Can't wait to get one. There's a lot to be said for being able to throw a Radian in the back of the car and go fly without dealing with hi-starts, winches or damaging my AVA or moldie type birds.
SUNSQUINT is offline Find More Posts by SUNSQUINT
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:03 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNSQUINT View Post
My experience when I modded the stock wings to be 100" full house and had the motor on a switch, the cheap plastic rear motor housing didn't hold up to the hard starts from the on-off switch.....

Just a word on what we may expect from the new one.... If it is the same motor as the old one. I use a 9303 radio, so I would put the motor on a slider or something that offers a soft start.

I will definitely buy the Pro, but will probably change out the motor (the Turnigy 35-36c is a killer motor for $25.00)

Can't wait to get one. There's a lot to be said for being able to throw a Radian in the back of the car and go fly without dealing with hi-starts, winches or damaging my AVA or moldie type birds.

Good points.....

I think the ESC is programmable, you could program in a soft start that way as well.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:08 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. If that's the way they'll all be then that eliminates the electronic servo reverser possibility and narrows it down to either the two flap servos face the same direction, or a special reversed servo is used on one side. Most likely, the two flap servos face the same direction.

That offers all the benefits of a true seven channel full-house electric-powered sailplane except you won't be able to program aileron to flap mixing for increased roll control, and you won't be able to independently trim your flaps with your radio.
You would be able to skip the Y cables, and go to a receiver with more channels if you want greater flexibility in the programming. I will say that in my opinion, it really doesn't need the flaperon mix, it is very agile as it sits. I saw many of them upside down during the trim flights before the official flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:11 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
"Flaperon" means both ailerons go down, acting like flaps. I think what you meant is aileron to flap mixing, where the flaps go in opposite directions along with the ailerons to contribute to roll control.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:38 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,875 Posts
Quote:
"Flaperon" means both ailerons go down, acting like flaps. I think what you meant is aileron to flap mixing, where the flaps go in opposite directions along with the ailerons to contribute to roll control.
Well....

In the JR 9303 Transmitter, the place that you set the mix to get flaps to follow the ailerons, is called Flaprn MX in the menu. I've always heard that flaperons are control surfaces that can act as flaps, and ailerons. I don't know what that mix might be called in other radios.

I've never heard, at least on full house sailplanes, the ailerons being called something other then ailerons. Any descriptions of adding mix to them was either camber mixes, or landing/crow mixes.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:25 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
What the heck, let's wait for others to jump in and settle it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:15 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
The mix in my Futaba 9C where the flaps follow ailerons is called aileron-flap mix meaning the ailerons are the master and the flaps are the slaves.

That is really the only mix where you need to have the flaps on separate channels. Other than that you can do just about everything you would want with the flaps on a single channel.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:58 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,542 Posts
Quote:
What the heck, let's wait for others to jump in and settle it.
You're both right, it's a simple matter of a technically correct definition meeting with a common usage.

A flaperon is a surface that does the job of both a flap and an aileron. On full house sailplanes, that's generally the inboard wing surface which is primarily a flap but can also assist with roll control duties. On power ships, it's more likely to be an outer or full span wing surface that's primarily an aileron but can also affect wing camber.

Different radios may have different names for the mixing that is convenient, and the mix names are usually less precise than the surface names.

If you want to be completely correct, a ship that uses a crow mix and allows the flaps to move independently has both flaperons (inner) and spoilerons (outer).

But such detail is generally unnecessary in polite conversation.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis