HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:44 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,012 Posts
Build Log
Wicked Powered J-Power 50mm L-39

Here is my quick build thread on the J-power 50mm L-39 EDF.

Motor: Wicked 6000 motor
FAN: Wemotec 50mm Microfan
ESC: Pentium 40 amp ESC
LIPO: 3S 1800 25C "Blue Lipo"
Ready to fly weight: 16.1 ounces

Some quick notes:
I soldered about 2" of extra wire between the motor and ESC leads. You need to cut the aft portion of the fuselage glue seam to make installation much easier (see photos). Install the fan and ESC as shown in the photos.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Sep 26, 2010 at 10:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:07 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,012 Posts
The thrust tube and centering are installed next.Test fit the centering to make sure it is a good fit. It may be necessary to reduce the OD of the centering ring a little to make it fit better. Also test fit the thrust tube into the inner diameter of the centering ring. Place the centering ring onto the back of the thrust tube then slide the thrust tube into the back of the fuselage. This is where having the aft glue joint cut open on the back of the fuselage is very helpful. Once the thrust tube is in place (around the OD of the wemo fan unit) the fuselage seams back together.

On the elevator I had to remove a little bit of foam so the joiner wire would clear when installed. Additionally, make sure the joiner wire does not have a twist in it and that the 90 degree bends are parallel to each other. Just lay it on the table if one end stick up in the air, twist it to make both lay flat on the label at the same time. Mine was about 5-10 degrees off so had to twist with pliers to make then both on the same plane.When you glue in the joiner make sure both elevator halves are level to each other.

The elevator servos sticks into the ducting so to reduce this effect and so it did not squeeze the thrust tube, I decided to use a 5 gram servo instead. Slide the servo wire around the thrust tube and up to the area by the motor wires. Do not glue in the servo yet, wait until you glue on the horizontal stabilizer first. You will also need a 12" servo extension as well. Once the stab is glue don, then you can install the elevator servo. Position the servo so that it is in as far as possible without distorting the thrust tube. Also make sure to pull the servo wire out of the way as well.

Aileron servo installation and linkage set up was quick and easy.

I removed the foam bulkhead in the fuselage so the lipo could fit. This is a 3S 1800mah 25C lipo. It fits perfect inside and the model balances slightly ahead of the recommended CG with the lipo as shown. Actually right on the CG with canopy off, so adding the canopy shifts it forward a little.

AUW ready to go is : 16.1 ounces

Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Sep 26, 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:06 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,012 Posts
Thrust tube and centering ring template.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:39 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,998 Posts
Looks good! Can't wait to see the flying report! I love mine on stock fan with 4s!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:34 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,583 Posts
Looking good Don, HC finally shipped mine today so should have it by the end of the week, it's the blue and yellow "Breitling" colors which I don't really like, much prefer the red and white one, looks like a repaint is in order for me
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Sep 27, 2010, 05:53 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,012 Posts
Just got back from the park and did the maiden. It was dead calm with light rain so I had to try! This jet is awesome. Flew right out of my hand and needed only a few clicks of down and left aileron trim to get it sorted out. I flew two packs and via doppler I got a lot of passes in the 85-86 mph range. I will say the slightly forward CG is better for the faster speed. I would go about 1/4" in front of where they suggest to make it fly easier. As far as landing what I did was fly flat until I got about 2-3 feet of the ground then started to feed in up elevator and it would flare then land nicely. Sorry no video, did not want to take a camera out into the rain, just took my audio recorder.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2010, 09:06 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,998 Posts
Glad to hear about the successful maiden! I will try the slightly forward CG too since I did notice that it was a little pitch sensitive at the mid CG. But I do love it! It was a little intimidating looking at the pointy nose and tip tanks. But it flies so nice! I am thinking about using a 4s set up in mine.
Last edited by gooniac33; Sep 28, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:45 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,012 Posts
Here is a little video I took today on my flight:
Wicked Powered Jpower L-39 EDF (1 min 36 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:17 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,998 Posts
Very cool!! It sounds like my plane does on 4s!! Pretty awesome....
Old Oct 03, 2010, 10:16 AM
Plane Crazy!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined Sep 2006
754 Posts
Very Nice....

Any idea when you might build that A-4?

Looking forward to it's reports on your setup!
Kilo60 is offline Find More Posts by Kilo60
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:00 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,012 Posts
I have not received the A4 yet. So I canceled the order with HSW and ordered the A4 and T33 from X-flight yesterday as they are in stock and will ship tomorrow.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:31 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,140 Posts
Great build thread.

Where did you mount your RX?
I wasn't able to see it in the pics.

I put my stock L-39 together the other night
and I have intentions of installing one of your upgrades.
I have the stock ESC between the wing and the fuse...
I cut some foam out so it fits perfectly flat.... is
that a potential problem?

Need to maiden it as is in its stock config but looking
to upgrade eventually.
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:37 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,012 Posts
The receiver is right next to the Deans plug, it is white and up against the fuselage (see photo previously posted). I think the ESC is intended to be where you placed it, I could not though as my ESC was bigger.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:39 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,140 Posts
Ok thanks!

I see it in there I think.

Got some other suggestions in the much larger thread
on RX placement too!
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:15 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,282 Posts
The first couple of flights on my L-39 showed a decided waggle at pretty much any speed on the stock setup with a slightly massaged fan. Before I slice the tip tanks off, I noticed the angle that the foam servo arm guards had when installed. This didn't make much sense to me from a drag perspective so I took them off and made a couple of small servo arm guards out of popsicle stick and mounted them more in line with the direction of travel after shortening up the control horns. I handlaunch from different types of terrain and don't like hooking anything on the linkages on landing.
Hopefully this takes care of the wag. I kinda like the look of the plane with the tanks. We'll see how she flies before going further.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Nov 29, 2010 at 08:28 PM.