SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by propjobbill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:14 PM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
Discussion
One of four new planes I built in September

For the month of September I built 4 more new planes. They were all built from sheet foam some Were Dollartree Rediboard and one was of FFF.

I enjoy building and trying new things. I like to build in less conventional methods. The plane I am showing here is make from Rediboard. It has a 30" span and an 8" cord to the wing. The wing is flat on the bottom and my own version of fold over wing.

This plane will fly very nicely in 10mph wind it can fly as slow as about 12mph it flies almost the same upright as it does inverted. The foam board used was a poster before being converted to a plane. So I will consider it as a free plane rather than costing $1.00

I find it amazing that for $1.00 worth of foam a little latex paint and some hobby craft glue you can build such great flying planes.

I posted a few tips about things I do along with each picture. The plane has no name it was just what I felt like building from scratch. When I say scratch I mean scratch.

The Glider below has a foam wing made from Rediboard foamcore. But the fuselages and everything except the wing is balsa. It has a 70" span with 536" wing area and the total AUW including battery is 23 oz. The glider was also built in September

I made a video of the green airplane that keeps coming out blue in flight. It's not the best video it was my first attempt the next one will be better. This was the maiden flight the wind was about 5 = 7 mph very calm for our flying field.

Foamboard Electric plane (2 min 36 sec) (2 min 36 sec)

Videos of the last plane I built in September

http://www.youtube.com/user/propjobb.../2/f94n-xGlxvQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/propjobb.../1/JoQGqywVFfg

http://www.youtube.com/user/propjobb.../0/t98PWD7XTBY
SE5 Bluecore foam Miaden Flight 0001 (2 min 58 sec)

SE5 Bluecore foan 2nd flight 0001 (1 min 12 sec)

SE5 Bluecore foam 8.5 oz 12mph wind_0001.wmv (3 min 23 sec)
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill
Last edited by propjobbill; Oct 22, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:15 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Love your planes

Hey Bill, it's cool how you turn out all those planes, sort of like Boeing only with foam. I'm strictly an ARF builder and would love to figure out how to create one of those boxed-fuse Dollar Tree foam electrics. Did you teach yourself how to do this? I'm wondering if there's a book or discussion group somewhere that would help. I have motors, ESCs and servos that I salvaged from my banged-up planes and I'd like to try doing a home-built around those parts. My questions have to do with how to hinge control surfaces, mount motors, reinforce and attach wings, fabricate push rods and landing gear...Stuff like that.
Burt
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:57 PM
USA, OH, Oberlin
Joined Oct 2004
483 Posts
Many of them are from plans off the scratch build section. I simply make a bulkhead about 2" wide and the height of the fuselage one at each end of the servo compartment. I use a piece of plywood glued to the front for mounting the motor. I've uploaded some more pictures of the green plane. I cut out to sides for the fuselage spaced them where T wanted them glues a plant to the bottom to make up the bottom of the fuselage. After it dried I cut of the excess with a razor knife then sanded.

As you can see it looks ruff but I build them to fly not for looks. Between the battery compartment and servo compartment I used wood blocks to reinforce the landing gear and beef up the sides of the fuselage. The strip across the top is 1/4" plywood. The Popsicle sticks slide under to hold the front of the wing down the back is held by a nylon screw into a blind nut mounted at the back

The battery compartment cover is held at the back with Popsicle sticks with a magnet at the front. The plane took about 2 hours to cutout and glue. with all the time waiting for paint to dry and glue everything takes about 6 =8 hours but actual working time is only about 2 hours or less.

I build dirt cheap to fly not for looks. If I do crash all I am out is my building time which I enjoyed. The cost of the planes is almost always less than $2.00

Yes you could say I taught myself. But it is things I have learned from building over the past 30 plus years.
propjobbill is offline Find More Posts by propjobbill