HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 06, 2003, 03:01 AM
Scott Harless
Guest
n/a Posts
E-Maxx motors; brushless questions...

I am considering buying an E-Maxx and have a couple
of questions:

1) How durable are the factory "Titan 550" motors? Are
they rebuildable when/if they get worn out? Can you
adjust the timing on the Titans?
2) How would one Novak brushless motor perform? Can the
Novak system handle 14.4v input? I read that the
Hacker brushless setup was great, but it costs quite
a bit more than the Novak (and I forget if it ran on
6 or 12 cells)...
3) If I install more powerful motors, will the drivetrain
handle it? I want to avoid blowing out diffs or snapping
axles if possible.

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome (e-mail address
is valid).

Thanks,
Scott
--
MRC SP3 Extreme
OFNA OB4 International
Losi XXX
OFNA Nitro OB4
Serpent Impulse
Losi XXX-NT
Associated RC10GT
OFNA Monster Pirate
Mugen MBX-XR
Mugen Sting
--
"When politicians get ideas, we lose money & freedom."
- P.J. O'Rourke
Old Jul 08, 2003, 03:02 AM
Rick Russell
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: E-Maxx motors; brushless questions...

In article <3f0777df.88254204@news.mw.net>,
Scott Harless <scotth@mw.net> wrote:
> 1) How durable are the factory "Titan 550" motors? Are
> they rebuildable when/if they get worn out? Can you
> adjust the timing on the Titans?


Very durable, no, no. Keep them clean and lubricated and they should
last many dozens of runs.

> 2) How would one Novak brushless motor perform? Can the
> Novak system handle 14.4v input?


Novak Super Sport is for 4-7 cells. They claim that a high voltage
version is on the way. I doubt that one motor would give very good
performance, since it's essentially equivalent to a single 10-turn
brushed motor in all performance categories except efficiency.

> 3) If I install more powerful motors, will the drivetrain
> handle it? I want to avoid blowing out diffs or snapping
> axles if possible.


Up to a point, yes. The latest E-Maxxes use the "2.5 Maxx" drive
train, which includes upgraded drive axles.

Rick R.
Old Jul 08, 2003, 03:02 AM
Jason
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: E-Maxx motors; brushless questions...

scotth@mw.net (Scott Harless) wrote in message news:<3f0777df.88254204@news.mw.net>...
> I am considering buying an E-Maxx and have a couple
> of questions:
>
> 1) How durable are the factory "Titan 550" motors? Are
> they rebuildable when/if they get worn out? Can you
> adjust the timing on the Titans?
> 2) How would one Novak brushless motor perform? Can the
> Novak system handle 14.4v input? I read that the
> Hacker brushless setup was great, but it costs quite
> a bit more than the Novak (and I forget if it ran on
> 6 or 12 cells)...
> 3) If I install more powerful motors, will the drivetrain
> handle it? I want to avoid blowing out diffs or snapping
> axles if possible.
>
> Any other comments or suggestions are welcome (e-mail address
> is valid).
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
> --
> MRC SP3 Extreme
> OFNA OB4 International
> Losi XXX
> OFNA Nitro OB4
> Serpent Impulse
> Losi XXX-NT
> Associated RC10GT
> OFNA Monster Pirate
> Mugen MBX-XR
> Mugen Sting


For the money I would go with a Tmaxx which is faster and better in my
opinion. Since I have went nitro I can see a huge difference and I am
never going back to electric
Old Jul 08, 2003, 03:02 AM
Keith S.
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: E-Maxx motors; brushless questions...

In article <dfafabd4.0307070700.1d497f53@posting.google.com >,
MUSTANGS7981@HOTMAIL.COM (Jason) writes:

>Subject: Re: E-Maxx motors; brushless questions...
>From: MUSTANGS7981@HOTMAIL.COM (Jason)
>Date: 7 Jul 2003 08:00:07 -0700
>
>scotth@mw.net (Scott Harless) wrote in message
>news:<3f0777df.88254204@news.mw.net>...
>> I am considering buying an E-Maxx and have a couple
>> of questions:
>>
>> 1) How durable are the factory "Titan 550" motors? Are
>> they rebuildable when/if they get worn out? Can you
>> adjust the timing on the Titans?
>> 2) How would one Novak brushless motor perform? Can the
>> Novak system handle 14.4v input? I read that the
>> Hacker brushless setup was great, but it costs quite
>> a bit more than the Novak (and I forget if it ran on
>> 6 or 12 cells)...
>> 3) If I install more powerful motors, will the drivetrain
>> handle it? I want to avoid blowing out diffs or snapping
>> axles if possible.
>>
>> Any other comments or suggestions are welcome (e-mail address
>> is valid).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>> --
>> MRC SP3 Extreme
>> OFNA OB4 International
>> Losi XXX
>> OFNA Nitro OB4
>> Serpent Impulse
>> Losi XXX-NT
>> Associated RC10GT
>> OFNA Monster Pirate
>> Mugen MBX-XR
>> Mugen Sting

>
>For the money I would go with a Tmaxx which is faster and better in my
>opinion. Since I have went nitro I can see a huge difference and I am
>never going back to electric


I guess you never seen a E-Maxx with a single Hacker B50 BL blow a T-Maxx off
the track!
Look in to a Hacker or a Lehner BL motors.
Or wait for Novak's 12 cell.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 03:02 AM
Rick Russell
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: E-Maxx motors; brushless questions...

In article <20030708011726.09955.00000600@mb-m21.aol.com>,
Keith S. <kschauweker@aol.comMyPants> wrote:
> I guess you never seen a E-Maxx with a single Hacker B50 BL blow a
> T-Maxx off the track!


You could buy an entire T-Maxx for the cost of a single Hacker B50
motor and a speed control. I'm not a huge fan of nitro, but even I
would prefer nitro to that kind of expense.

Rick R.



Old Sep 03, 2008, 12:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2008
137 Posts
E-maxx over T-maxx any day. T-maxx is a pain to deal with. E-maxx has the ability to be FAR more powerful. Don't get me wrong, Nitro is fun just because it's Nitro, but with the ease of electric and the massive torque they have, I just see no point going Nitro unless you wanted blistering speed (though apparently now brushless motors are far faster than any nitro engine).

You're best bet, would be doing what I did. Buy the E-maxx, then buy the Dual 700 Revoler H\O engine upgrade from Kershaw Designs. The motors are two times as big as the stock ones, and WAY more powerful, I can press the throttle and do a back-flip from a stand still! Kit is around 100$ which includes a new mounting plate. The stock titans just can't take a lot of stopping and going. The second thing, is the ESC....the ESC on the newer E-maxx which I just replaced, is really a joke. Countless people have problems with them over-heating, my only assumption is that the water-proofing deal causes heat to build up. On top of that in thier previous e-maxx models Traxxas used Novak to design their ESC's and everybody loved them, this time EVX-2, they outsourced. I replaced my EVX-2 with a Novak Super-Duty XR which is FAR FAR more powerful and reliable.

Just a few gripes of mine, all depends on how hard you push it really. But if you upgraded the ESC and motors to heavier duty ones, then you are set. I upgraded a lot of parts to unbreakble nylon composite RPM pieces, but I'm not sure if it was needed...I just wanted the extra piece of mind, though everything I put the E-maxx through previously came out fine (and boy do I bash it).

If you DO go Nitro, do NOT get the T-maxx, go for the HPI-Savage X, a far, far better nitro monster truck. But stay far away from their E-savage which is very out-dated.

Here's a pic of my current E-maxx with the upgraded ESC, motors, and bunch of other stuff.

One more thing, don't cheap out on the batteries. They are the heart of the E-maxx.

Oh, and I've seen a dual revolver 700 h\o e-maxx w\ novak super duty xr and a 2-speed tranny WHOOP a T-maxx 3.3. Nitro really is becoming a thing of the past in terms of performance, but it will always be around to the fact that its....well. Nitro. You got a loud, crowd-attracting soundish thing. Just a lot, lot more work involved with Nitro. I hated going moving back and forth and having to tune the TRX engines. Mind you, the HPI big block engines on the Savage I never even had to tune, in my opinon much better engines. The TRX engine's are just too....touchy. On top of that the Savage has a big block, more torquey, easier to use and more forgiving engine.
Mr. Kibbles is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kibbles
Last edited by Mr. Kibbles; Sep 03, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E Maxx brushless controller? Strikedeep Castle Creations 7 Nov 11, 2004 09:23 PM
Brushless E-maxx' ers hopups Electric Power Cars 1 Aug 07, 2004 04:05 PM
FS Traxxas Titan 550 E-maxx Motors !! deedee Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 16, 2003 01:50 PM
WTT / T-Maxx for Brushless motors or ??? Steve H. Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 30, 2002 11:28 AM
Brushless Motors Efficiency Questions kelvin Power Systems 6 Mar 09, 2002 08:11 AM