HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:00 PM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
Question
Revell U99

Has anyone converted Revell's 1/125 Type VII U boat U99 to RC?
redboat219 is offline Find More Posts by redboat219
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:38 AM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
950 Posts
Das Boot U-96 1:125 RC (3 min 55 sec)

Someone has, and it is a static diver. Seems to run beautifully even if ballast tank pump was "switched off to conserve battery". I would love to have someone here who can decipher his interior pictures and be able to duplicate it. I've always loved this small kit and have heard of it being converted to dynamic diving but this seems far superior.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:06 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Taking a jab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redboat219 View Post
Has anyone converted Revell's 1/125 Type VII U boat U99 to RC?
Hi Redboat, I'm poking at it at the moment. I've never built a sub before and it's the scale that attracted me because it's a contemporary to my two Lindberg DD's and Mine Sweeper, mind you they never met each other in combat!... And I have type VII 1/72 waiting to get handled so I thought this was a good exercise in handling smallish stuff to start with

It's a narrow boat and difficult to install a WTC, so I opted to make it a surface running, possibly dynamic diving ship using just the model. The narrowness meant one motor, but I didn't want to give up the type VII configuration so I went for a motor on gears. There's no reduction BTW, all gears have the same size, but using a brushless it does ... so far... it's job on two shafts quite happily

I've added some pics, as you can see I had to exchange all moving and steering parts to metal, using brass plates and cutting or grinding into form and steel rods (2mm) for the moving parts. Everything seem to be falling into place quite easily I hadn't have to redo any parts so far so it's quite doable up to now, we'll see how it'll perform when ready. Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Last edited by pkboo; Mar 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Grammar BooBoo's
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:25 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Good luck with that.You have more patience than I would ever have.Just finished the 1/72 Type VII and that was small enough for me.
fly4fun6719 is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun6719
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:45 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Thanks!

I did have my doubts but once passed the rudder holder you gain confidence! Not that the rest is easier you just see that it can be done and you get the motivation to continue I even drilled some of the holes, to have some realistic look, and paneled them with a U beam so water could not enter the hull but still "wash out" when sailing. Quite a challenge those holes can't wait to see what awaits me with the 1/72 scale.

I might start a build log or continue with this thread, I'm "notorious" for doing the latter! Boo
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:58 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Falling into place!

Worked on the planes and moving parts today and decided to use parts of the parts the boat came with as not to tempt fate.... so far the soldering has been quite successful for my doing ... so I didn't make brass rudders and planes but used what I already had.

The adjusting lever I had in mind for the diving planes was also successful, the planes can be a slightly adjusted to dive, I hope that's enough to have it slightly dive to, hopefully, periscope depth at speed. Everything looks as if we can dip her into some water for test purposes this long Easter weekend...Happy Easter everybody! Boo
Last edited by pkboo; Mar 30, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:52 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Challenges!

Well, she had her first water trails yesterday! For anyone wanting to build her, at waterline she could carry around 350gr including herself off course! I didn't weigh her dry so I'm guessing she should be around 100gr because I myself came just around 100gr short off getting her to waterline So in all probability she's going to be a standard surface runner I might add some more weight and adjust the planes to have her dive dynamically but that has yet to be tested. In any case, less is better, just to have to buy me a heavier battery which translates into more runtime later

A few challenges, the props aren't working too well, I'm guessing the bulkiness and the fact that the material is hard to taper off smoothly at the edges once you've sanded them down and the thickness of the material. I had ordered some printed ones from shapeways but having destroyed one when trying to shaft it I gave way to the graupners...wrong! So I'm changing that back and try to work more carefully when sanding these ones down. One of the rudders control eyelets broke off after I've assembled everything, that's going to be a challenge just like... the dive planes should be thinner, I'll have to sand them down where they are, disassembling this combo is not an option.

All in all, she's very doable! The geared shafts work nicely and on the surface the stuffed tubes work perfectly, going down might be another case, hopefully just below the surface shouldn't be any issue....hoping very hard here now! I will have to wait till I get new bats and solving the challenges before she's put to new trails again but I have good hopes to solve the issues. A last challenge is to seal her up if she's going down, and keep the stuffed tubes available for service, having her leak that way is not something I want to deal with now that she's all closed up! Boo
Old Apr 09, 2013, 11:42 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Almost there!

Well, getting the graupner props was a little tricky and the printed props where sanded down to about 14mm, still big of course... we'll just have to see if we have to sand it down more after its first trial runs. Rudder control horn issue also solved, I'll be starting closing off tonight I guess... hopefully we won't have Murphy lurking! Boo
Old Apr 09, 2013, 04:21 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
282 Posts
very nice, do you have a link to the shapeway props that you used? I used the 10 mm ones on a surface runner lionfish. they are cat more like a racing prop but work pretty well. Greg
Greg W is online now Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:52 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Hey Greg, there you go http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bimrc.. yep but they're somewhat the only props we can get at that size. Any pic's of your lionfish available, is it the 1:180 scale revell's? Boo
Old Apr 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
282 Posts
yes it's the 1/180 revell kit. I wanted it to run with my 1/192 battleship and light carrier. there are some pics at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710288. I used 2 old long shaft servo motors, an old subtech esc (which had issues before, they went away but have come back and it needs replacing) , a small servo and some surplus 2200 mah AA nicads. The whole thing was built from the spare parts box except the brass for the prop shafts/stuffing boxes and the props. I originally was going to use the kit props but wired the boat for counterrotating props. when I put the props on I realized both kit props are the same so I made sheet brass props that I later replaced with shapway props. Greg
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:05 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
It's an exercise in the engineering corner but once you get passed those issues everything else is easy, don't you agree? Nice built with the Lionfish! Boo
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:49 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
282 Posts
I agree it is an exercise in engineering expecially the order in which things can be done. In my case I split the rear bulkhead with the plan of them lining up and glueing a splice plate on the seam. as it turned out for me they were offset ever so slightly and overlapped each other.Also the radio battery serves as the main battery and instead of an on/off switch I just unplug the battery harness. that way I can also charge the batteries as needed. Someday I may try to do anther as a diver, I just have too many projects right now ( not that that is a bad thing) Keep up the good work. Greg
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:09 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Finally, the sun has come out and we can paint! Its almost finished, with any luck I might be able to have it's maiden late tomorrow afternoon, after the dark gry below the waterline has dried.... tomorrow later today she's getting her second light grey coat. After her maiden will finish up the details! Boo
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:22 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,320 Posts
Painting!

Maiden voyage has been postponed until after painting Painting is almost done Weathering is new for me, have to admit that first dab is a little to much of what I had intended... oh well! Boo