HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2001, 01:21 AM
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Joined Oct 2001
7 Posts
Beginner Float plane, for lake use

I've been looking for a good beginner, electric airplane that I could put floats on, so I can fly it on the lake we live on. My favorite looking electric airplane I have found is the "Miss 2" from hobby lobby (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss2.htm). I saw this airplane in the AMA's "Model Aviation" magazine, that a person had put "edo floats" on. Does anyone know what those floats are, and if so, where could I get some? If not, where could I get some floats for the Miss 2? I think I may have found some accapteble floats at (http://www.iflyherr.com/k509.html), but it says to use on a gas plane, and I was wondering if they will work on an electric? There is also another version of the miss 2 called the "Miss Chief" (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/misschief.htm), that is a biplane, and might be better with floats attached than the miss 2? Does anyone know anything about this? There is also another airplane I like called the "Sunny Boy" which is also from Hobby Lobby (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/sunboy.htm). It had floats that you can buy with it, and looks like a good airplane, but I like the miss 2 better and would rather find some floats for it. Does anyone know anything about the flying characterisics of the miss 2 or the sunny boy? There is one last plane that I have found, called the "Wingo" also from hobby lobby (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hlwingo.htm). I can also buy floats made for it, but it just doesn't look all that great. I also don't know how it flies. Does anyone know about it? Does anyone know of any other airplanes that I could put floats on? I would rather have one that I can remove the floats from so I can fly at a park sometime, rather than a flying boat. I was also wondering, what if I were to crash the airplane in the water? Would it hurt the electric engine? Also, the sunny boy is foam, so if it were to get wet, what would happen? How can you waterproof an electric airplane? Also, if I were to learn to fly it myself, should I start out flying it over water, or land? Which is easier to land and take off from? I was also wondering if I were to get one of these electric airplanes, and I wanted a NiHM instead of the NiCD that they come with, how would I know which one to buy? That's about all the questions I have for now. Thanks for your time!
Lanceh007 is offline Find More Posts by Lanceh007
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2001, 01:40 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Wow, that's alot of questions in one message.

I'll tackle some of them....

In principle you can put floats on just about anything, but the extra weight and drag do require a little bit more power. Actually, the Wingo flies very well and right now the floats are on sale. I just got a set today - they'd work on any of the planes you listed. My set may find its way under my clipped wing T-52 (www.jkaerotech.com) which is well liked as a beginner plane here on the Ezone. It, too, is a foam plane.

Also, don't sell flying boats short - they can be hand launched and landed on grass without much worry.

As for waterproofing an electric..... I've flown four of my planes off of water, and generally haven't made too much effort to keep the water out other than being careful (sometimes not too successfully). I've never damaged a motor, though there's a bit of rust on the shaft of one of my motors which spent about a hour underwater in two incidents in the spring. The motor is running just fine.

Electronics, once they get wet, tend not to work. But, when dried out again, they usually come back. This is true of receivers, servos and electronic speed controls. Taking them out of their cases and laying them in the sun has always brought them back for me. Of course taking some care to arrange it so that it's not really easy for the components to get wet is a good idea. But the only way you will for sure lose the use of components in the water is if they go to the bottom of the lake or river in a crash and you can't retrieve them (or you fly off of salt water - there all bets are off as well). A foam plane would pretty well prevent stuff going to the bottom of the lake as long as the motor battery is well restrained.

Some makers of ESCs make versions that are waterproofed. The Model Electronics MX-80 comes that way standard, and I've had Castle Creations waterproof a Griffin 40 for me for float plane duty. I'm also learning about something called Corrosion-X that another member of my club says will protect all electronics so that they can even run when immersed. I haven't tried that yet, though.

Learning to fly by yourself is not the best way. If you must you want something that will fly very slowly, and hopefully bounce, and you want to fly in a big open area where you have easy access to the whole thing. I can't imagine learning to fly off of water unless you had a small boat at the ready at all times to retrieve the inevitable upsets.

Let's leave the NiCd vs. NiMH discussion until after you select a plane and a power system...... but in general NiMH cells that are physically the same size as the NiCds they are replacing have some higher capacity and, except for sub-C sized cells, a little to more than a little lower output power.

I'll let someone else add to this.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 05, 2001, 02:55 AM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
664 Posts
Lanceh007 ,

I too ordered the wingo floats that were on sale. I've seen pictures of the Miss 2 with them on and it looks really nice. I don't really have a plane to put them on right now. I've flown a .40 sized plane off of water, and water is not a problem. Just let stuff air dry, don't use a hair dryer!

I second BEC on getting help flying. I learned on .40 gas trainers, but after flying electric feel there is no reason you can't learn with an electric plane, assuming it is a "trainer" type. Maybe go to the LHS to locate the nearest club for instruction.

Tim
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan
Old Oct 05, 2001, 06:32 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,337 Posts
Lance, Welcome to the Ezone! You seem pretty excited about all this, I'm glad to see that. You can teach yourself (I did), but it would be much more productive for you to get an instructors help. I might add that I probably did 50 rebuilds on my trainer to get the hang of it. (I crash really well, you see. ) Just about any lightweight float that will hold the total weight of plane and batteries up out of the water far enough to achieve planing speed should work. I've heard a rough estimate that the floats need to be 75% as long as the fuse length. The step goes right under the CG of the plane and there should be at least 2" in front of the prop. Here again, an experianced flyer would greatly increase your chances for success. You might try doing a search for floats. Good luck and keep us all posted on your acheivements.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Oct 05, 2001, 05:24 PM
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Joined Oct 2001
7 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it! I think I've decided to go with the Miss 2 with Wingo floats, but I just don't know how much trouble it will give me. I can get the sunny boy, and have all my problems figured out with the floats that are made for it, but I like the looks of the Miss 2 better. I need to make 100% sure that the wingo floats will work on the miss 2 before I buy it, so I don't waste a lot of money. The wingo floats are 19in. long, and the miss 2 is 35in long, so if they are supposed to be 75% long of the airplane, how could they work? Which would you guys recommend for an easier airplane to fly, the Miss 2 or Sunny boy? Well, Thanks again for all the help!
Lanceh007 is offline Find More Posts by Lanceh007
Last edited by Lanceh007; Oct 05, 2001 at 05:31 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2001, 05:59 PM
Oak Harbor, Oh
Joined Jun 2001
664 Posts
Check out this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=miss+float

There is a picture of a Miss 2 with wingo floats 1/2 way down.

Tim
T_Hartigan is offline Find More Posts by T_Hartigan