Old Sep 26, 2010, 03:05 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Build Log
Semi Modern Ski Boat

I need a little help with some scale detail on my Ski boat build,
the exhausts for the V8. Can ABS Styrene tube be bent into a relativity complicated shape? I want it to be similar to

Thanks Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,286 Posts
I have no info about the styrene tube. Perhaps if you run it under hot water to soften it, it may bend.

You can get annealed aluminum tube, which bends easily by hand and does not kink. That might be a possibility.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:08 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Some thick aluminum or copper wire or rod might work since it doesn't have to be hollow. If you use copper you can get it chromed. Maybe the al too if it's copper plated first. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:11 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,286 Posts
The thing about annealed aluminum tube, is it already looks like it is Jet Hot ceramic coated.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Nick, Norgale is right about using rod instead of tubing, in that it will bend without kinking.

To get that hollow effect at the exhaust end, just slip a piece of tubing over the end of the rod---.
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 27, 2010, 01:05 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Thanks Guys,
the diameter of the exhausts are around 6 mm (1/4") or slightly larger, bending solid may be a challenge. A trip to the LHS in order I think.

Nick
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:27 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,812 Posts
do a google on how to make scale headers. the car modeling folks have been doing this for a long time.. depending on what scale your dealing with there may some close to ready made units...
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Last edited by tghsmith; Sep 28, 2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,823 Posts
Hello from the Rustbucket ( DON )
I have a sudjustion since I also do car modeling as well my first love RC ships.
I have use roll solder for exhust for headers. exhust systems and so on. What I use is reg electrial Rosin solder that you pick up all most in any electiral shop or store or even your Hard ware store.
IT has work for me bends easy and . Paintable . I will use Ca for glueling in place or even have use testers glue.
FOR ME It has allways work. OR like what others has sudjusted even light bendable brass or alumion tubing that we all use for cooling systems on our boats or ships.
JUST another Idea to think about
DON your Portland Rustbucket
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:17 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,574 Posts
I agree with Rust bucket, but if the headers are 1/4" (6mm) diameter. you might be better off with solid ABS rod. it can be heated in the oven then bend to any shape. It will take a couple of tries to get the temp right. Then a piece of tubing for the end and your ready to go. Spray black then a light coat of silver, don't forget too add a bit of blue and yellow at the first bend where they get the hottest.
I did a set for a 1/4 scale car years ago.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:31 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,823 Posts
OK Gill and i am are on the same page you also use a heat gun as well like hair dryer or a reg swink heat gun this way you can heat at the bend you want. SO yes I do agree on what gill says . I have done it both ways. and yes I am a model car builder along with RC ships . TO be honest I am a general model builder for I do a little of everything including trains. Don the rustbucket
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:05 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,574 Posts
Hay RUST that's why we get along. I know you've seen my site. All models, cars, planes, trucks, boats, and trains. R/C and static.
For those that haven't www.jsgill.net
If our builder wants to see what I'm talking about with the blue and yellow. In the slot cars there is a twin engine HO dragster that won in concours. I blued the exhaust.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Oct 03, 2010, 01:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Made a couple of parts for the boat.

Nick
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:27 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,823 Posts
HEY GIL YOU GOT that one right for sure. ;-) We make a good team together been helping others both of us for a wile now. Have a good one GILL
. DON ) Rusty ;-)) OK TO the rest of ya Rustbucket
you all have a good week.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:29 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,823 Posts
HEY NICK 75 I like your casting good work how big are we talking ? looks to me about 1,4ths scale US or 1.5th scale US. Rusty
Old Oct 03, 2010, 02:41 AM
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Its a Revell 1:6 scale 427 SOHC motor, the "casting" is just balsa, bit of filler and painted with silver paint. I didn't use filler on the gearbox, gives it a rougher sand cast look.

Nick