Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
Discussion
Preparing for the first flight

Hi all, I would like to get some information prior to my first flight. I have a Hawk Sky that I researched as my first aircraft to learn to fly with. I also have a Phoenix 2.5 flight simulator that I have been working with. The Hawk Sky had some issues (battery charger is not functioning once built, Nitroplanes is replacing). So I have a couple weeks before flying.

So I have a couple questions. First will flying the real aircraft be anything like the simulator models? I ask because the flight simulator has allowed me to quit over responding with the gimbles (actually smooth the way I fly with my thumbs on the Tx), become comfortable with the aircraft coming at me, and landing. But I can fly it with the wind gust settings and landing it has become somewhat "natural". How will flying on a calm day be differnt?

Second question that i have is what am I doing wrong with the rudder; other than take-off with a side wind gust I dont find myself using the rudder at all; everything is with my right thumb for elevator/ailerons for smooth flying. There has to be something that I am not doing correctly in this learning process ( I say this because many folks recomend a basic 3 channel unit that is rudder/elevator/and throttle, not ailoron/elevator/throttle)?

Thanks for your thoughts.
jjjbrim is offline Find More Posts by jjjbrim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 02:30 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
rudder is mostly used to track a straight line. This is helpful to keep the plane tracked while landing. Don't worry about using the rudder until you are comfortable flying with the right thumb controls.

Sims are not real life. They get you prepared by teaching you left-right, up , down, etc...
But they are more docile than a real flight. Just remember to not fly on a windy day first time and fly in an area clear of any trees, light poles, people etc. Bring a bottle of medium CA and accelerator for the accident repairs. (don't use foam-safe CA. EPO foam is not styrofoam.)
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
304 Posts
hi there mate, welcome to the rc world!

just researched your hawk eye and it looks like a great little trainer, i take it yours is 4ch i didnt quite understand what you meant about the 3 ch??, anyways i take it you have been flying lots and lots on the simulator.....they are good, alot of people say that simulators are not like real life as it cannot dictate all the factors, however they are a great learning tool, i myself believe they are very much like real life, if the weather is calm so do not worry! im sure you will be fine.

Make sure all your control surfaces are working...pick an area for a roll on ground take off, far easier than hand launching in my opinion, throwing can lead to alot of trouble for new pilots. also remember to take off into wind... when putting your propellar on, remember to put it on the right way...i infact did this on my first maiden of my very first aircraft, and luckily it flew!. try and stay calm and use your anxiety as a good thing. Dont rush anything you do. Best thing i found was to fly a few times on the simulator before going out to fly your plane, do a good few landings, get your confidence up. Remeber your not going to be a pro in the air. When taking off, dont "smash" on the throttle straight away gradually increase it, and when your up in the air....climb get as much height as you can before you try and bank.... Landings... do a few "attempted" landings first and bring the plane into large circles, as long as you get the plane on the ground in one pieace thats the main thing.

With your referance to the rudder, the rudder is normally used for tracking in a straight line on the ground...and it also brings the back end of the plane round with the turn, also it is mainly used on landings so you are not banking the plane at cruicial points in the landing. agreed alot of people dont use the rudder as much as what they should, however as long as you are flying its your flying skill....

best of luck for the maiden...

p.s a big help for me was on youtube, watching other people fly your plane...and also other people crashing your plane...it helps you learn from their mistakes

craig
Fossy313 is offline Find More Posts by Fossy313
Old Sep 26, 2010, 02:15 PM
Canada
Joined Mar 2005
32 Posts
I used the FMS simulator quite a bit before I returned to R/C flight after a long absence.

I found the Cessna 180 included in FMS flies heavier than my Apprentice, however without the simulator practice I would have crashed for sure.

After using rudder on takeoff to keep it more or less straight, I don't usually use it in flight unless I'm doing aerobatic maneuvers which require it.

DON'T fly in wind no matter how tempting!!

Also, when moving those joysticks think smoooooooth and slow.

Have those clevis's on the outer hole and set the rate on your transmitter to low.

Over controlling when starting out is something we all do.

Assuming the aircraft is in trim, let it fly itself with the occasional nudge from you.

Good luck and let us know how you made out...
gr.moore@shaw.ca is offline Find More Posts by gr.moore@shaw.ca