HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2001, 01:08 AM
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Joined Oct 2001
7 Posts
Beginner Float Plane, for lake use

I've been looking for a good beginner, electric airplane that I could put floats on, so I can fly it on the lake we live on. My favorite looking electric airplane I have found is the "Miss 2" from hobby lobby (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss2.htm). I saw this airplane in the AMA's "Model Aviation" magazine, that a person had put "edo floats" on. Does anyone know what those floats are, and if so, where could I get some? If not, where could I get some floats for the Miss 2? I think I may have found some accapteble floats at (http://www.iflyherr.com/k509.html), but it says to use on a gas plane, and I was wondering if they will work on an electric? There is also another version of the miss 2 called the "Miss Chief" (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/misschief.htm), that is a biplane, and might be better with floats attached than the miss 2? Does anyone know anything about this? There is also another airplane I like called the "Sunny Boy" which is also from Hobby Lobby (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/sunboy.htm). It had floats that you can buy with it, and looks like a good airplane, but I like the miss 2 better and would rather find some floats for it. Does anyone know anything about the flying characterisics of the miss 2 or the sunny boy? There is one last plane that I have found, called the "Wingo" also from hobby lobby (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hlwingo.htm). I can also buy floats made for it, but it just doesn't look all that great. I also don't know how it flies. Does anyone know about it? Does anyone know of any other airplanes that I could put floats on? I would rather have one that I can remove the floats from so I can fly at a park sometime, rather than a flying boat. I was also wondering, what if I were to crash the airplane in the water? Would it hurt the electric engine? Also, the sunny boy is foam, so if it were to get wet, what would happen? How can you waterproof an electric airplane? Also, if I were to learn to fly it myself, should I start out flying it over water, or land? Which is easier to land and take off from? I was also wondering if I were to get one of these electric airplanes, and I wanted a NiHM instead of the NiCD that they come with, how would I know which one to buy? That's about all the questions I have for now. Thanks for your time!
Lanceh007 is offline Find More Posts by Lanceh007
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2001, 06:05 PM
Corte Madera, CA
Joined Mar 2001
254 Posts
Lance,

For a plane you can build yourself, check out the Pond Baby thread in the Slowflyer section.

I have the Herr floats which I plan to use on the Herr Cub (48" wingspan). It's possible to convert this plane to electric. To fly with floats you will need a Speed 480 motor geared 3:1. While the Cub is a fairly gentle flyer, this is still too much airplane for a beginner. I don't know anything about the other planes you mention.

Crashing in fresh water won't hurt a motor and probably won't hurt your ESC and receiver (the battery, if submerged, is another matter -- will probably be ruined). Just rinse the electronics off under the tap and dip in rubbing alcohol, then gently blow dry.

I wouldn't recommend that you try a seaplane as your first plane. Taking off and landing on water is tougher than it sounds, and there are more problems to solve (e.g., water resistance, etc). You might want to consider getting started over dry land with a lite stick or a GWS Tiger Moth -- something that won't set you back alot of $$$ when you crash. Get a bit of flying experience, then when you're ready to move up, just strip the gear off the 'stick and put it on your new plane!

I've just started flying seaplanes as well, and it is lots of fun. I'm envious that you live on a lake!

Roy
rkissin is offline Find More Posts by rkissin
Last edited by rkissin; Oct 05, 2001 at 06:18 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2001, 08:57 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Go with the Wingo, flys well on floats and is also highly recommended for a beginner. May not be quite your taste right now, but you need to choose function over form at this point in your flying. A good set-up for this plane (or its cheaper copy the soarstar) is to use a geardrive 2-2.3:1 with a 6V sp400 and a 9-5 to 9-6 prop. A 8X600ma Nicad or 8X1400 Nimh battery will work well.

Foam planes work very well on water

I fly a wingo on floats in my backyard as well as a few others...

http://members.home.net/kleppek/hornet.html

If you are going to learn by yourself, - is your lake surrounded by homes? , Even a Wingo flys quite fast compared to what you may imagine, and you will not want it flying around your neighbors until you can control it at all times.

A wingo takes off and lands from water so well (better than on land) that I personally would fly that way if possible.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Oct 05, 2001, 09:04 PM
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Joined Oct 2001
7 Posts
Thanks for the information! I have decided to go with the wingo for sure, and I have heard from many others it is the best way to go. It is also the best deal. Thanks for the help!
Lanceh007 is offline Find More Posts by Lanceh007