HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:20 AM
USA, CA, Roseville
Joined Aug 2006
484 Posts
2nd day at the field today with the control horns adjusted but still with the high wing configuration. The higher throws make it fly acrobatic like clipped wing cub. The rudder wheel finially works with the horns all the way out on the servo and 2nd from the inside on the tail horn.

I discovered a great characteristic: From level flight if you cut the the engine it won't stall! If you keep the nose level or up it just gets mushy and looses altitude almost like a helicopter ready for a 3-point landing. Its comforting to know that if I'm low and slow it won't do a nose-dive-stall unless I really toss the sticks around. It may be worth noting that I was using my 6-ounce battery for this.
hasselblad7 is offline Find More Posts by hasselblad7
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 02:26 AM
Katy Tx
Joined Nov 2007
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBZ Super Cub View Post
Anyone else have one? I am torn. I have a Skyfly Max right now, and have no problems flying it, for everything but inverted, still to chicken to do it

Just wondering how the Switch flies in comparison?

Was thinking of it or The PZ Trojan or the Great Planes Yak55 Flightflex plane for those unfortunate minutes as a second plane.
Definitely the PZ Trojan over the Flightflex Yak. The Trojan will survive crash after crash and be repairable and give you hundreds of hours of enjoyment. If it ever gets so damaged it isn't repairable, there are replacement parts available everywhere.

OTOH, you'll be lucky if you get the Flightflex even built and running at the field before destroying it. I tried to build one, and it was the most frustrating build of my life, and I ended up putting my fist through it trying to get a servo wire run. I never even got to fly it. By the time that happened, I didn't even care anymore, I hated the plane so much. Biggest piece of cr@p I ever tried to build. Looked pretty on the wall as a decoration though, before I trashed it to put up shelves. I still have the tail section ready to be used on a Frankenstein build of some sort.

-Kelly
kelstertx is offline Find More Posts by kelstertx
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:06 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Just put my Switch in the classified section for 150 Plug and Play if anyone is interested
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1346680
boatdoc is offline Find More Posts by boatdoc
Old Dec 03, 2010, 05:11 AM
Joined Sep 2007
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Just put my Switch in the classified section for 150 Plug and Play if anyone is interested
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1346680
Interested in why you are giving up your switch. I've flown my lots and haven't even tried it with the wings lowered (although I did buy a T-28 just to have something else to fly). Will be sorry to see you go from this thread. Was always interested in reading you tips.
njrich2 is offline Find More Posts by njrich2
Old Dec 06, 2010, 01:09 PM
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2007
58 Posts
I certainly second the comments about the GP Flightflex planes. I have the GP U-Can-Do Flightflex, brother of the Yak, and what a steaming pile! EPP foam is usually durable, but on these, its so thin that the wing and fuselage frequently tear easily. The battery will eject through the fuse repeatedly, and the whole airframe is floppy and imprecise. Sure it repairs with hot glue, but why bother?

Much better 3D options are the Copperhead Extra Stiffy (have one,what a great plane, but hard to find now) or maybe the MS Composit Blade Dancer, Unique or Boom. All very durable, much better flying manners.
I have a Parkzone Trojan, Corsair and Typhoon too, you can't go wrong with these IMO.
Greenflash is offline Find More Posts by Greenflash
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:17 PM
Joined Sep 2007
83 Posts
I've been playing around with my switch in low wing config for about a month. Loops, rolls and inverted flight are fine, but I'm not able to hold knife edge for any amount of time (maybe 4 seconds before it starts sinking out-full rudder and throttle). My rudder throw settings are the outer most hole in the servo, and also outer most hole in the rudder control horn. I'm guessing I'm going to have to adjust the control horn settings, but before I break off the existing one, I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:31 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
The fact your able to knife edge at all with it says good things for your skill level. The only way I was able to get a decent knife edge and only for a short time was on
30C 2100 lipos and 150% dialed into my dx7 for servo travel.

Stock lipo is weak at best and if all else fails change the servo to a 3 dollar HXT900 and use Dupro long arms or a Hitec 45 with stock arms. That will give you max rudder throw.
Last edited by boatdoc; Dec 26, 2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:36 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
It was at it's limits and time to move on.. This thread is in my alert so I will allways read it with great memorys.
Just spent the morning talking with the new owner of my Switch in Porta Rico as he was setting it set up for top wing... I could hear his smile as the motor fired up>>>>>>>> It felt good to hear somebody get excited about it all over again...

Thank you for the nice comment..... Happy and Safe Holidays to you and your family

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrich2 View Post
Interested in why you are giving up your switch. I've flown my lots and haven't even tried it with the wings lowered (although I did buy a T-28 just to have something else to fly). Will be sorry to see you go from this thread. Was always interested in reading you tips.
Last edited by boatdoc; Dec 26, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:43 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
By the way when your ready for Carbon Fiber landing gear let me know. I have just the set.............
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:33 PM
Joined Sep 2007
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
The fact your able to knife edge at all with it says good things for your skill level. The only way I was able to get a decent knife edge and only for a short time was on
30C 2100 lipos and 150% dialed into my dx7 for servo travel.

Stock lipo is weak at best and if all else fails change the servo to a 3 dollar HXT900 and use Dupro long arms or a Hitec 45 with stock arms. That will give you max rudder throw.
Thanks for the tips boatdoc. Already went to the more powerful battery, and was hoping to avoid moving my switch to the dx6i (which I only recently got-but looks like I'll have to for the extra throw). Never thought to go with a different servo, but that with longer arms might do the trick.

Must be nice to know you sold your Switch to someone who enjoys it as much as you did, and good luck with your newer planes. I hate to admit it but I haven't gotten to the point yet where I'm willing to part with my older planes. I still break out my old bent up Super Cub LP occasionally for a quick spin around the field. Might even replace the fuse and put floats on it for a flight at the lake. Happy New year to you and yours (although how someone could enjoy the holidays without a foot of snow on the ground I'll never understand ).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:43 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Now ya went and done it. A Switch on ski's!!!!!!!!!!!! HUMMM
Oh ya Water Skis (Cali style)
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2009
23 Posts
My switch came with motor mount unglued (I already epoxied and reinforced), but just an hour ago I was putting it together and noticed that the left wing panel does not align with the alignment pin a good 1/8 so Im thorn between trying to repair or return it.o
Bad quality, the same with the micro playmate radio range.
evaristus is offline Find More Posts by evaristus
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:08 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Is this in the upper or lower wing config? Have you tried it with out the CF rod installed.
I have seen some where the CF rod had the smallest warp to it. either way I'm sure Horizon/Hobbico will fix it for you.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
23 Posts
both the upper and lower wing config, I think the wing panel is defective.
evaristus is offline Find More Posts by evaristus
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
28 Posts
For those who are trying to find replacement clevises for the Flyzone Switch, I have been searching everywhere for a source and then I stumbled across this item. You wind up with a lot of parts you don't need but it looks like these would work. The price is about $7.50 depending on what retailer you buy them from.
Great Planes GPMA2954 - Hardware Set E-Performance Yak-54
sticks44 is offline Find More Posts by sticks44