SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:43 AM
Joined Sep 2007
83 Posts
Made my repairs and got my switch back in the air, and am pretty happy with it so far. As far as what may have caused my loss of elevator control, I'm still not exactly sure (and am not completely ruling out pilot error). My servos seem fine. However, the elevator control rod was loose in the control horn and the screw did not seem able to completely tighten it. One other thing I had forgotten. Initially, I was unable to charge the battery with the charger that came with it. I kept getting error messages. So I charged it with my good charger. When I initially flew it, the performance was very disappointing. I was unable to do a loop without going into a dive first. I also on occasion got an error message on my good charger with the stock battery. After making my repairs, I used a Turnigy 2200 mah battery instead of the stock battery and the performance was like night an day. Not sure if it was the charger or the battery, but I have no plans on using either one again. Oh yea, I guess I'll also be adding a little glue to the firewall/motor mount.
njrich2 is offline Find More Posts by njrich2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:28 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,777 Posts
I think it is your batt. I have two stock ST batts and the plane WILL loop and roll quite easily from 1/2 throttle

I've finally dug in to repairing the landing gear mount in mine. It is hot glued into the foam. I'm not sure I want to epoxy it back in just in case it has to come out again
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:17 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
boatdoc is offline Find More Posts by boatdoc
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:23 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,777 Posts
boat doc NICE fix! Thanks for the details!
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
83 Posts
Has anyone tried adjusting the throw on the elevator control horn a notch or two. I tried when I was initially putting it together, but it didn't seem to want to come loose and I was afraid of breaking it.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:55 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Thats why they put five or so extras in the box.. Break it you must. I called on this exact thing and it seems that short of a jewelers touch breaking the tip off is the way to get it out. Yet the new one goes in no problem
Old Nov 04, 2010, 04:43 AM
Joined Sep 2007
83 Posts
Thanks for the info. Bummer. And since I have quite the opposite of a jewelers touch, I guess I'll be breaking it one of these weekends (or just getting use to a slightly touchy elevator). Good thing there were 5 extras. I haven't been able to find that type of attachment (clevis?) anywhere.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
5 Posts
Quick Question for you guys,
I got my switch a couple of days ago, took it out for a maiden flight! Awesome plane, but... one of the clevises from one of the aileron came off (I think the push rods are really cheap for such an expensive plane) needless to say, couldn’t control it and down it went ( I tried to soft crash ?? : ) ). Any ideas on what type of clevises and push rods I can use for this plane???

Thanks
johnsaldana is offline Find More Posts by johnsaldana
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:37 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
The push rods are carbon fiber and there should be 4-5 extra clevis in the kit. Next time some people have put a dab of ca to stop slipping.

Hobbico seems to be the only place for replacement clevis and horn...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:38 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,777 Posts
Quote:
dab of CA
But that answer is a d@mned if you do d@mned if you don't. My elevator clevis screw is apparenlty stripped out. The only thing holding the clevis on the push rod is a lot of friction.

CA will make the link permanent with no way to remove the clevis if something breaks.

Has anyone thought of a less than permanent glue to keep the clevis in place? Hot glue maybe or elmers?

Just looking for ways to avoid replacing a push rod too.

Tom
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:34 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Well then put on a new clevis get her trimmed then spot with ca. If you need to remove hit it with a spray of ca remover.
Or head on down to your local watch repair shop and ask him for a nut and bolt that size and be done with it.

Not much else you can do unless you want to switch over the horn and clevis to a Parkzone T28 etc parts,(they work very well in place of switch,skyfly)
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:42 AM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
There is one other fix that was used at the sand lot last night on my Switch that was as close to an Epiphany as I will get.

We used a small plastic retainer/ threaded washer from a micro control rod servo arm on the back of the control horn screw and it worked perfectly

It's the black plastic washer in the picture http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...0.0.0.0?pp=10&
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:19 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Joined Aug 2000
2,777 Posts
Man you da man with creative solutions! I've got my gear plate glued back in following your example above

Tom
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:42 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
I'm here but to help and serve kind sir.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:03 AM
USA, CA, Roseville
Joined Aug 2006
483 Posts
My experience

First flight for mine yesterday in hi-wing config.
-Has great roll authority but slightly resists rolling all the way over, which is good for beginners but I enjoy aerobatic hi-wings.
-Tail wheel on pavement had almost zero control. I moved the rudder throws and will see if it become good enough or needs to be replaced for better ground handling.
-My favorite thing about this plane is the motor. (have 5 of them) Very light, very powerful, and inexpensive. The stock 10-5 prop gave me 280 watts. Other threads about this motor shows it can get up to around 340 watts with a gws 11-7 but you may need to up the speed control to a 35 amp.
-The supplied battery weighs about 8oz. My more expensive 3s 1800 batteries weigh around 6 oz. In other planes again using this motor I usually run 3s 1400s which are only 4 oz. The plane landed very slow on the stock battery, but for beginners (and for perfect slow motion landings) a lighter battery may help and I will try on next flight.
-I have no design complaints for this plane. Flys great in stock format. Took off in a decent wind in a few feet. Landed slow and some work on high angle aproaches could probably get some very slow landings.
-I did snap off all the black clevises and used the replacements to adjust the controls to have more through for the next flight. This wasn't because of any problem but just to tune it to my personal flying style. I'll report on 2nd flight soon.
-Also no servo problems yet.
hasselblad7 is offline Find More Posts by hasselblad7