HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,925 Posts
I fly the stock motor with 10x7 and it is fine .... so far! I think I'll go back to a 9x6 and see how that is. I "think" that is what I used before.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,684 Posts
I'm down to a 1100kv motor so it "should" be ok with 11x5.5 , if not I will use a 10x6 or 7
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:32 AM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
618 Posts
1100 kv Turnigy with APC 10x5e and 10x7e has has been a perfect set up on mine.
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hanger...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,925 Posts
This poor plane seems to be ready to fall off of the forums. Not much action here.
This is the only foam plane I fly. I fly from 57" balsa 3DHS Extra, down through GP 50" Edge, 3DHS 48" Yak, Mini Ultra Stick regularly. I do prefer balsa .... BUT this little foam plane is always easy to fly and if you ramp up the throws, it will do what you want. Not even close to 3D, but I fly aerobatic and don't care to hover .. yet. Since I grafted in a set of MUS landing gear, there has never, ever been an issue with this thing. So, if you are sick and tired of the soft aluminum gear legs, adapt a different gear set and fly the heck out of it with confidence that the gear won't turn to limp noodles.
Don
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
618 Posts
Amen! The Switch has taught me so much...I feel bad that I haven't taken it out recently. With the shorter and windier days, I'm tweaking two other planes and setting up my 1400mm Corsair in the comfort of my shop.
Don is 100% right about swapping the gear. I used the main gear from the Flyzone Sensei and it slipped right in (had to drill new holes to line up bolts). IMHO this mod takes care of the only short coming of the Switch.
We'll see if Santa distracts me but I need to get this beauty back out to the field regardless.
Thanks for checking the pulse, Don!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:02 PM
Chile, Araucanía, Angol
Joined Jan 2012
367 Posts
My switch is upgraded and flying great, if you use long throws servo arms with futaba digital servos and powerfull motor can do a lot more of stunts than stock.
javier668 is offline Find More Posts by javier668
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:08 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,684 Posts
Mine was so dog slow last time I flew it I was bored. It has since gotten the 11x5.5 prop and a new battery too. I think that since I've been doing some faster bigger planes it just "seems" slow. It's ready on the bench waiting for me and the weather. I fixed it all up with carbon fiber sleeves in the stock fuse so I was able to move the wing back down without it wiggling all over the place.

Hopefully I'll think I've got a new one.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,925 Posts
10x7 prop gets my speed up a bit. It is a wing-waggler in the wind, but that tends to keep your thumbs moving. I hate to say it, but I think of this as my expendable plane. As much as I like it ..........
Don
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
618 Posts
Flew the Switch 5x1800 today in 70 degree weather! Used the last battery to practice nothing but take-offs and landings...got in at least a dozen. Feels good to bank and yank the Switch and pull off a few three point landings to boot. Hope every one else's Switch is alive and well!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
618 Posts
55 degrees with 8-10 mph winds at 45 degrees to the runway...today was a great day for rudder practice! Also, practiced my technique for taking off and landing on the mains. Timing the down-elevator is tricky but it looks so cool! Maidened the 1400 mm Corsair about a week ago and I really want to TO & land on the mains with that beauty so practice, practice, practice. Once again, the Switch is teaching me stuff!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,925 Posts
Got a "new" guy on a Switch .. still hi-wing, but he loves it.
Don
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Got a "new" guy on a Switch .. still hi-wing, but he loves it.
Don
There was a RTF w/o battery on the classifieds for $200 earlier this week...if your recruit needs an almost complete set up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Jun 2012
618 Posts
2x2200 yesterday. Wind meter said 11mph but it was pretty much a headwind straight down the runway. Still had to dance on the throttle and rudder to bring her in but a lot of fun. I got a late start and the setting sun with wind was too much for my candy @$$. Today is supposed to be 60+ with minimal wind. Hope to get an earlier start and make the most of.
BTW...not sure if anyone else got in the Eflite Hurricane 25e deal or not. I picked up a BNF for $139 about a week ago. Can't wait to transition my Switch time to my warbirds soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:50 PM
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Jan 2013
92 Posts
So I've been flying the Flyzone Calypso for a few months and really enjoying that. I was wondering if the Switch is a good option to move to now that my skills have improved or are there better choices out there?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
tmaxxtigger is online now Find More Posts by tmaxxtigger
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Jun 2012
618 Posts
tmaxx...looks like the Calypso is a four channel plane, so you are used to ailerons. The difference will be the overall performance, speed and take-off/landings. I assume you are hand launching the motor glider and this plane will help you learn a lot about rudder control on the ground and in the air. Also, the power set up on the Switch is pretty stout which comes in real handy when you transition to the mid-wing sport configuration. It isn't a pylon racer but I suspect it has a lot more punch than the Calypso.
The Switch was my 'return to the hobby' trainer and I might be its biggest fan. It is a heck of value knowing you get two planes for one. And they are that...two planes. The high wing is awesome as a trainer. The rudder is effective, it flies quickly and it is forgiving (to a degree...just don't get low & slow, then bank past 20-30 degrees). Transition to the sport set up and it is very different but so much more fun.
Hobby Lobby has been selling them recently and I've seen a few guys listing them in the RCG classifieds for reasonable prices. You will not regret having this plane!
RCG Plus Member