HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
Gigaah
Janesville, WI
Joined Jan 2004
110 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9x can't figure out flapperon

I plan on flashing this thing but while I'm waiting for stuff that will allow me to do that I'd like to get the flapperon working. If I use the flapperon menu and ch1/6 I don't get what I'm looking for. The closest thing I've come up with is turning flapperon off all together. turning on aileron differential and using ch 1/7. Then use the airbrake feature. This give me one position flaps on the 3 position switch(right in the middle I get flap difflection).

I screwed around with this radio for a couple hours and thats the best I came up with. I had assumed in the mix menu I would be able to select a switch and mix with other channels...but that isn't the case. I can also get severe "flaps" If I turn the gear switch on to ch 7.

Just for piece of mind I'd like to know how its properly done. I may plan on flashing my radio but I don't know if my dad will and he is also trying to get flapperons working.

any help is appreciated. The documenation as we all know(and I knew before I ordered) is crap on this radio as best.
Gigaah is offline Find More Posts by Gigaah
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2010, 07:24 AM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
Try this:

FLAPERON

To activate, put one servo on channel 1, other on channel 6 and enter the FLAPERON menu.

Set parameters this way:
STATE ACT
AIL1 050 050
AIL2 050 050
FLP1 -050
FLP2 050

Enter the AUX-CH menu, select CH6 and set to GEAR or THRO HOLD (to apply servo using one of thes switches), or PIT TRIM (to use a pot), or anything you like.

Done, this enables flaperon.

You can play with the values to create aileron differential and so on.
alexcmag is offline Find More Posts by alexcmag
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:26 AM
Joined Sep 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcmag View Post
Try this:

FLAPERON

To activate, put one servo on channel 1, other on channel 6 and enter the FLAPERON menu.

Set parameters this way:
STATE ACT
AIL1 050 050
AIL2 050 050
FLP1 -050
FLP2 050

Enter the AUX-CH menu, select CH6 and set to GEAR or THRO HOLD (to apply servo using one of thes switches), or PIT TRIM (to use a pot), or anything you like.

Done, this enables flaperon.

You can play with the values to create aileron differential and so on.
I done like alexcmag advice. Now I wann't to DISABLE flaperon, I select STATE to INH (also set AUX-CH6 to none as previously), but now on CH6 aileron don't work any more, when STATE is INH.

I tried to bind again, but no difference. Seems like CH6 stucked forever only for flaperon.

Can anyvody help me how to release CH6
soloman572000 is offline Find More Posts by soloman572000
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:32 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloman572000 View Post
I done like alexcmag advice. Now I wann't to DISABLE flaperon, I select STATE to INH (also set AUX-CH6 to none as previously), but now on CH6 aileron don't work any more, when STATE is INH.

I tried to bind again, but no difference. Seems like CH6 stucked forever only for flaperon.

Can anyvody help me how to release CH6
Of course Channel 6 doesn't work with aileron. It's an auxiliary channel not driven directly by the sticks. It only works as aileron if you create a mix from channel 1 (which is what flaperon does).

Go back to flaperon, activate it and set the ailerons to 100 and flaps to zero and you should have what you need.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 06, 2010, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Of course Channel 6 doesn't work with aileron. It's an auxiliary channel not driven directly by the sticks. It only works as aileron if you create a mix from channel 1 (which is what flaperon does).

Go back to flaperon, activate it and set the ailerons to 100 and flaps to zero and you should have what you need.
Daedalus66 thank you for you suggestion.

Aileron works 100 % on CH 6 OK (without any mix for weeks), until I first time use flaperon mix.
Now I can't use aileron in CH6 without flaperon mix.
How to recover original setting to use aileron on CH6 without flaperon mix ?
soloman572000 is offline Find More Posts by soloman572000
Old Oct 06, 2010, 03:53 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloman572000 View Post
Daedalus66 thank you for you suggestion.

Aileron works 100 % on CH 6 OK (without any mix for weeks), until I first time use flaperon mix.
Now I can't use aileron in CH6 without flaperon mix.
How to recover original setting to use aileron on CH6 without flaperon mix ?
If it did work that way it was an anomaly. In the stock configuration of the programming, channels 5-8 are not even activated. To activate, you go to AUX-CH where you get the choice of assigning them various ways (Gear switch, or the various knobs).

The only other way to get any action from channel 6 is to use a mix, either flaperon or a programmable mix (or maybe AILDIFF would do it if you entered numbers for both AIL1 and AIL2).

The point is that it's not designed to give any output on CH6 unless you take specific action to make it so -- i.e., apply a mix or turn on flaperon or assign it to a switch or knob.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 11, 2010, 09:40 AM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
I am having difficulty with this as well. I can get flaperons to work with pit trim, but if I set them to a switch (gear. etc..) one way I get spoilerons and the other way I get flaps no middle position. I don't suppose you can get just flaps on a switch. I have to use CH6 because with flaperons active I only see CH1 and CH6 moving. I read where someone used futaba instructions to program flaperons, so I checked a futaba manual and it stated that you have to live with spoilers if you want flaps.??? Also if I use airbrake or flap trim it disables one of my ailerons.???

One more question what are ID1 and ID2?
radialarm is offline Find More Posts by radialarm
Last edited by radialarm; Oct 11, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:43 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radialarm View Post
I am having difficulty with this as well. I can get flaperons to work with pit trim, but if I set them to a switch (gear. etc..) one way I get spoilerons and the other way I get flaps no middle position. I don't suppose you can get just flaps on a switch. I have to use CH6 because with flaperons active I only see CH1 and CH6 moving. I read where someone used futaba instructions to program flaperons, so I checked a futaba manual and it stated that you have to live with spoilers if you want flaps.??? Also if I use airbrake or flap trim it disables one of my ailerons.???

One more question what are ID1 and ID2?
I have Flysky TH9x but it is the same radio.

I have used the radio about one year now for helis. There aeroplane mixes are all new to me. I am building a warmliner and I am going to use spoilerons on gear switch. It does the same thing as yours, spoiler or flap, no middle.

Is the only option to mechanically set the switch down position to neutral and switch up to spoiler? I tried additional programmable mix from gear to flap with uprate 100 and downrate 0 but it does not seem to do anything.

N, ID1 and ID2 are positions of the three way F mode switch.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2011
13 Posts
Hi. can i use the throttle as elevator Flaperon cause i bought the 9x mode 1 and change the position in the back as mode 2, and tail wing as flaperon simultaneously.
Torinocto is offline Find More Posts by Torinocto
Old Jun 02, 2011, 04:23 PM
United States, DE, Newark
Joined May 2011
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinocto View Post
i bought the 9x mode 1 and change the position in the back as mode 2
There's a "stick mode" setting in the utility menu. Try changing that.
iksbob is offline Find More Posts by iksbob
Old Sep 21, 2011, 01:23 AM
Joined Mar 2010
5 Posts
Turnigy 9x Flaperons on 3 pos switch

hi all. this bugged me for a while. i came up with a decent way to do flaperons using the 3 position switch. its all programming, no adjusting of the servo linkages. I made a video here:

Turnigy 9x - Flaperons using 3 position switch (8 min 0 sec)
mbshawaii is offline Find More Posts by mbshawaii
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:32 PM
United Kingdom, Yeovil
Joined Sep 2009
3 Posts
Great video thanks alot! I`ve only just received My 9x and I`m currently converting all My planes to 2.4 .I`ve spent some time trying to understand how to asign flapperons and elevator mix to a switch with no luck,I thought it was a bug to which there was no flapperon switch and just the turn knob.
harbordasher is offline Find More Posts by harbordasher
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:52 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Don't use flaperon for flaps.

No need to complicate the issue.

Flaperon program is mainly to use dual ailerons.

If you are seriously considering flaps to slow speed, don't even think of using flaperon.
Flaperon is ineffective as flap as flap travel is limited to only 50%, the rest reserved for aileron action. Build separate flaps.

The use of independent flaps and control of it is quite simple.

For proportional control of flaps, buterfly (crow) program is recommended in glider mode.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 03, 2011, 10:55 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigaah View Post
The documenation as we all know(and I knew before I ordered) is crap on this radio as best.
Read the manual thoroughly. Turnigy 9X is an advanced computer radio.
If you lack previous knowledge of computer programming, it is difficult to use it without understanding of its programs.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshawaii View Post
hi all. this bugged me for a while. i came up with a decent way to do flaperons using the 3 position switch. its all programming, no adjusting of the servo linkages. I made a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJIklG35-rU
I've tried this mix and followed it step for step and I can't get it to work? The three position switch still won't do anything unless I set the master to one of the four primary channels same exact set up six channel reciever and all any suggestions?
Stang513 is offline Find More Posts by Stang513