SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:32 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick181 View Post
The maxx arming switch uses 14awg wire. Isn't this rated for only 15-20 amps?
Look at your ESCs. I have seen 70amp. ones with 14 gagae wire on them and I have seen LiPolys rated at 70 to 100 amps. continuious with 14 ga. leads also. It depends on the total lengths,connectors, sum total of resistence in the circuite and how long it needs to be able to carry the load.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2010, 03:22 PM
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
I have a switch on my shp and several other planes without a switch.I learned that even if you turn the switch off and lets say you go home and forgot that little fact.you go to it hours later.Guess what? the battery was still drawing down power .I did that twice in the last 4plus years and I really dont like the switch as it gives you a false postive sense of safety.just make sure you unplug the battery after a flight and make sure you aren't in harms way when youplug the connectors in..I see guys tinkering around the plane way too close to the prop.never trust the switch never.yes I not only left the battery in the plane but plugged in with the switch off.months later realized my stupidity.

I believe lipos are as safe as any other battery when properly used and stored.you need to develop a safe routine and follow it every single time and you will be safe@
propnut07 is offline Find More Posts by propnut07
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
813 Posts
This has been a great thread, some good reading, and well made points here, thanks so far , for everyones input!
fltekdiver is offline Find More Posts by fltekdiver
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:55 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
Im building my first 51" Slick, and on Nitro planes, I used a on/off battery swtich to turn everything on.

So you still use one on Lipo batterys?
Absolutely and if you're smart you will too. It's not about conveience or the only way to do it, or even about safetly alone, though that's a big part of it. There are times on the flight line where you end up waiting longer than you thought, there are times you may need to immediately disconnect the battery but of course safety trumps, who wants a cut-off finger beause their RX glitched, it' not worth the risk.

I use the MPI arming switch, installed on the front, right side of the plane, just a quick reach in the pocket for the dongle and I arm the entire system, motor and ESC since my flight packs power the RX too via a quality BEC (or two for larger planes for redundancy). I use them in anything from 3S/4S up to my 12S 2M pattern plane, never had an issue in the 4 or more years I've been using them...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Oct 02, 2010, 01:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,719 Posts
There is one issue I can think of using an external arming switch (shorting plug). From time to time my Spektrum 2.4 receivers do not get a solid go LED when connecting power. With hatch / canopy off it is easy to see and correct by reconnecting power. If aircraft is buttoned up I could not see the flashing LED(s). Perhaps not an issue but food for thought.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer