Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2010, 03:53 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Well that depends. Around 18 years ago the father of one of my students pushed the switch off on his son's trainer during a hand launch and that swith was aft to arm. It was otherwise a perfect launch however and the plane climbed out circled into the clouds and was never seen again by us. I just set the Transmitter down and watched it fly away.

Charles
I saw that happen once. After that, back in the last century, if I did use a switch I mounted it vertically in the fuselage instead of horizontally.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2010, 04:13 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver View Post
Im building my first 51" Slick, and on Nitro planes, I used a on/off battery swtich to turn everything on.

So you still use one on Lipo batterys?
Sometimes.

My fleet has models from the past 17 years in it, all of which have evolved thrugh that time, with different systems installed and all of which have now been converted to electric and lipos. That means there are some legacy installations and some that benefit from a radio on-off switch,

Naturally all of those models with a separate rx pack have a standard on-off switch.

My funfighters, which mostly demand removal of the wing to change the battery also have BECs on a switch, but are treated as "live" as soon as the battery goes in and is connected up in the pits.

All of my other models have the battery connection made at the start-up table and do not have an on-off switch.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:07 AM
United States, PA, Shamokin
Joined Mar 2004
497 Posts
arming switch

I use the Maxx products arming switch in anything bigger than a park flyer. I primarily use A123 cells in .40+ sized planes with a separate reciever pack. Ten bucks per plane is worth the safety to me.

I turn on my tx, then the reciever, check the controls, carry the plane to the flight line, THEN I plug in the arming switch. It works very well.
Zagabond is offline Find More Posts by Zagabond
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:29 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
I'd very much like to add arming plugs to my larger, more powerful set-ups. There's a lot of extra wire there to add to the power harness though. With quite a few ESC manufacturers recommending no more than 200mm (8") between battery and ESC on the power side that looks like maybe an extra 75 -100mm being added.

Your procedure sounds quite similar to mine, except that I connect at the start-up table - exactly the same as starting a glow model - and as far as I'm concerned the model is live from that moment and treated as if the motor is already running.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:17 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Sadly funny.

I went ahead and reversed the switch on one of my planes today. Never thought about it before but they make the switch much taller than it needs to be. More likely to be inadvertently bumped and more draggy.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:54 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
On my glow planes I used the Du Bro switch mount which places the switch inside the fuse. and makes it a push pull operation. Mine were set up push in on pull out off. I used a clothes pin on them to prevent them from being pushed in by accident while transporting and storing. This worked perfectly for me for many years.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:00 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I like the idea of being able to cut the main and rx power without removing the hatch. Once I have to open the hatch I may as well just unplug the rx battery itself rather than adding a switch. But that is just my preference. Drag the plane to the flightline, power on servos, adjust flap trim, go through preflight surface check, arm mains and takeoff.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 03:01 PM
Are there crawfish in heaven??
Joined Apr 2004
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagabond View Post
I use the Maxx products arming switch in anything bigger than a park flyer. I primarily use A123 cells in .40+ sized planes with a separate reciever pack. Ten bucks per plane is worth the safety to me.

I turn on my tx, then the reciever, check the controls, carry the plane to the flight line, THEN I plug in the arming switch. It works very well.
+1 on the arming switch. I put one on my GP Reactor since the 6S pack goes in from the bottom and I have the plane in my lap to do so. I put the plug in once the plane's all buttoned up and I'm behind the prop. Definitely order a spare plug or two with the switch. Guess how I figured that out?
jcg1112 is offline Find More Posts by jcg1112
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:16 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post

Sometimes the ESC comes with an on/off switch, but even then I usually just cut it off and solder the two wires together permenently.
Really? Better be careful Most intelligent ESC designers eliminate that switch as a source of in-flight failure by setting it up so that the ESC is armed when the switch is OPEN. You remove the switch from the system by cutting the wires and leaving them isolated.

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Sep 26, 2010, 02:10 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpeden View Post
Really? Better be careful Most intelligent ESC designers eliminate that switch as a source of in-flight failure by setting it up so that the ESC is armed when the switch is OPEN. You remove the switch from the system by cutting the wires and leaving them isolated.

Glen
I agree, perhaps I should be more specific -- my experience in this is purely with Jeti ESCs. With other brands (or perhaps even newer models than the various Advance and Spin ones I've got) it may be open circuit to arm it.

Edit: But if it really is open circuit to arm, that sounds less safe to me. For it means that a broken switch would allow the ESC to arm without warning. Which is worse from a safety point of view, that or the ESC shutting down in flight?
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Last edited by abenn; Sep 27, 2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:57 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
Nope I never have and never will. You should remove the pack to charge it anyway. A switch is just one more point of failure. Nitro stuff has switches.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:48 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,986 Posts
The only plane I have one on is the Habu never have used it, but have have bumped it to off by mistake while putting a battery in. Just as soon take it out.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Sep 27, 2010, 07:30 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 07:57 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Well that depends. Around 18 years ago the father of one of my students pushed the switch off on his son's trainer during a hand launch and that swith was aft to arm. It was otherwise a perfect launch however and the plane climbed out circled into the clouds and was never seen again by us. I just set the Transmitter down and watched it fly away.

Charles
Had that happen a few times to hand launched models with a switch. One was an EPP Eurofighter and it got switched off three times on handlaunching, each time making a perfect landing, on one occasion completing half-a circuit Eventually put the switch inside on that one, fixed to ON.

The other occasion was less pleasing with a twin sp400 twin on the maiden flight, switched off the switch on launching and the model was destroyed 20 feet in front of the pilot
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2005
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg1112 View Post
+1 on the arming switch. I put one on my GP Reactor since the 6S pack goes in from the bottom and I have the plane in my lap to do so. I put the plug in once the plane's all buttoned up and I'm behind the prop. Definitely order a spare plug or two with the switch. Guess how I figured that out?

The maxx arming switch uses 14awg wire. Isn't this rated for only 15-20 amps?
patrick181 is offline Find More Posts by patrick181