HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:48 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,768 Posts
Discussion
Show Us Your Clumpy Grass

Please so we can see just how rough of a field these models can operate on and not be affected, show us your clumpy grass.

It would be nice to see a plane in it and state it's size, maybe even wheels.

I currently deal with mixed sand and pebbles with clumpy 1 to 2 inch outgrowths of weed and grass. Photo later. I gonna try to get some photos of a full scale AN-2 and ME262 today. But the field is out of the way.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:23 AM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
My field is rolled regularly and mowed to 7/8 of an inch twice weekly. I can run wheel pants on 40" planes. No clumpy grass here.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:27 AM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
i fly anywhere i can- normally farm fields, so i land on the belly over 2 or 3 inches of grass! Occasionally i fly off of local cricket pitches, where the wicket is mown to 1/4 inch. Only have 30 yards of wicket which makes some of my faster warbirds particularly interesting to get on the deck and stopped in time.
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:55 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,768 Posts
One of my better choices is like the field the Citrabria and PT-19 sits in the photo of post 34.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1312665&page=3
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:59 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,395 Posts
And that's not even the runway. It is even cut a bit shorter.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:49 PM
Miami, Florida
Joined May 2004
728 Posts
The field we used to fly at doesn't have clumpy grass but it's overgrown. Planes end up nosing over on landings half the time.
GoRgOyL is offline Find More Posts by GoRgOyL
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:12 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,432 Posts
I saw the title, then I saw the author and it made sense....

My fields are nicely manicured parks with smooth, clipped crass. The clippings of grass can be a *female dog* when it gets stuck in my motor/servos/etc but overall I'm happy.

In about 2.5 months I'll have a solid crust of solid ice over those fields. Landing a belly-lander will take up 200' just sliding
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:17 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,768 Posts
Maybe ski's and reversible pitch.

I see some planes bouncing around pretty badly, I never find out how long they last like that.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:29 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,432 Posts
Well when you think about it, some planes bounce around pretty bad in the air, too. 3D planes get smacked around pretty hard, nevermind the poor overpowered and under-piloted foamie stuff. Added to that, a terrifying number of people never bother to balance props. I wonder exactly how many people actually take the time to carefully and accurately balance a prop? Hmm, new thread? Naw....
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:04 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,768 Posts
The runway I had in Kentucky was a cut every day to 3/4 inch and grew thick like a carpet. It was great. Pretty good place to fly there too. All that forest area makes minimal thermal displacement currents or turbulence.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:54 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
The runway I had in Kentucky was a cut every day to 3/4 inch and grew thick like a carpet. It was great. Pretty good place to fly there too. All that forest area makes minimal thermal displacement currents or turbulence.
Hmmm...where in KY? I'm in Lexington and fly at a couple of different fields.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,768 Posts
Greenup County. Six miles into the forest from 23. A real natural place. I wish I was back there. I used to get RC car gears from the Hobbytown on Nicholasville Rd when I lived in Lexington but they were for special telescope accessories I made. I didn't fly RC until two years later. Seems I remember a lot of nice looking places to fly there.