SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:56 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
My first RC electric airplane, brings back many good memories.

A speed 400 geared and 8 NiCad cells. Those were the days.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:49 AM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
109 Posts
Servos

I am Looking for the servos for the Throttle, Elevator, and the Rudder, What is a good servo match for the CR?
tanner331 is offline Find More Posts by tanner331
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:52 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Hitec HS55's, S-75's, S-90's and any other 8-9g servo.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:15 PM
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35764

- Operating speed (4.8V no load): 0.12sec/60 degrees
- Stall torque (4.8V): 10.2oz/in (2kg/cm)
- Temperature range: -30 to +60'C
- Dead band width: 4usec
- Operating voltage: 3.5-8.4 volts

$3.98 each shipped free
Sofa King is offline Find More Posts by Sofa King
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,011 Posts
It is not worth the potential trouble to use low end servos like the tower ones. For throttle it may do fine and then there is little damage when they fail, but not for anything else.
Better to use something like the HS-56HB instead.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Nov 29, 2010, 04:43 PM
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
i have used them for quite some time without any problems....but i can agree that a high end servo may be the way to go.....one less thing to go wrong.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
I use the cheap ones from hobby city/king. never had an in fight failure and field about 50 of them. HXT (I think is the brand). Only failures I've had are on my heli during a crash, 1 fixed wing failure when a control horn caught on grass and ripped the servo out of the wing.

I've lost 2 planes to two different hi end servos (elevator failure) in the last 3 years but not a single one to cheap servos.
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:54 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,011 Posts
I tried a few of the HXT last year and lost a plane, so I'm a bit biased. To me it is not worth saving a few dollars initially, and plant a plane and loose hundreds of dollars...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:43 AM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
I tried a few of the HXT last year and lost a plane, so I'm a bit biased. To me it is not worth saving a few dollars initially, and plant a plane and loose hundreds of dollars...
this is a CR, with decent power and a proper place to fly (size wise) just loosing a servo isn't that bad as long as it doesn't hang in some dramatic position. if it returns to neutral you should be able to safely do a controlled crash with throttle only. having experience as a real pilot I would rather loose throttle less than any thing else, especially on an inherently stable airframe.

It's a stable design. I lost signal on my fpv once and had to let it do its own thing 1/4 mile away and completely out of sight. it landed its self in my neighbours back pasture, landed on the front wheel and broke the fire wall.

personally being a cop now, I couldn't afford to field all of my small planes on $20 servos. my big fire breathing monsters all have good, metal gear servos on elevator and ailerons, still cheap on the rudder, flaps, gear and throttle.
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:01 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,011 Posts
Well I lost the elevator and did several consecutive loops until I reduced the throttle and nosed into a small river next to the field. I never want to be in that situation again, luckily this time no one was hurt...
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:10 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
A question about CR weight:

I built a CR as a trainer to teach myself how to fly (in areas with no people and plenty of space). I have flown twice but both times the wind was MUCH higher in the air than it felt on the ground. The first flight the wind made the plan jump on final approach and I bent the gear a bit with a tumbling landing. The second flight I again found the wind was too high for the little plane, but as I came in to land and power down... I found the servo had jammed at mid throttle. I flew around at a little under half throttle to try and run it out of gas, but the plane was getting buffeted all over, and finally I lost control and crash landed entirely ripping off the landing gear.

So... to get to my point, I rebuilt it with a beefier gear and bigger tires, which looks and feels great, but it added quite a bit of weight to the plane. It now weighs in around 24oz. I have not flown it yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has flown a CR that heavy (or heavier) and if I should be concerned.

I think the extra couple ounces will actually help on breezy days, and I plan to set the ailerons down a bit for some added lift, but I don't want to have to land the thing at 30MPH. Any input would be appreciated.

Just realized power matters: it is running a Norvel .074, which seemed to be more than enough power for the plane at it's previous weight of 21.5oz or so... as proven by it staying aloft a less than half throttle on a windy day.

Thanks
nfsiv is offline Find More Posts by nfsiv
Last edited by nfsiv; Dec 08, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:08 PM
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
i wouldnt think the extra couple ounces will hurt any....well.... as long as the plane still balances out or is slightly nose heavy....and it sounds like this would be the case as you have added the weight forward of the balance point....right?

.........with more than enough power from the engine i would think about adding to the prop if there is clearance
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:25 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
Thanks SK. I figured I would be OK considering the listed stock weight with electric is listed as 22.2oz, and I have the added wing area of ailerons, but I'm glad you agree.

Glad to hear you favor nose heavy too. I actually had to remove weight from the nose (a stack of nickles glued into the engine mount... classy) after the rebuild, and now it is just a touch nose heavy, so there could be some frantic newbie trimming at the start of my next flight. And I just ordered a 7x3.5 prop per your recommendation (currently running a 6x3).

Oh, and I also added a secondary muffler (made out of a small spritzer can) which also added weight on the nose. I test ran it last night and it was amazing - the plane is so quiet I ran it in a small bathroom (for the exhaust fan) and it was quieter than my wife's hair dryer. It does not seem to impact power, but I will have to get outside with an RPM meter to test that theory. I will post pics and data when I get the chance.
nfsiv is offline Find More Posts by nfsiv
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:54 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
init4fun

is it me or does the boom on your stealth sport not level with trust line

sorry like design just wondering, i believe ive gleemed enough info from photo to wanna find one of these kits it looks like it would be a demon with a os fp 10
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:05 PM
Don,Browns Mills NJ
Browns Mills,NJ
Joined Dec 2007
23 Posts
Hi guys i was thinking about getting a cloud ranger.I have a tt07 and a os fp10 sittin around.I have only built one other stick kit all my planes are arf type.So i have some questions on building.Is the fuse built with any epoxy or all ca?Thin ,med or thick ca?I was thinking medium on the fuse and thin on the wing parts. Epoxy to join the wing halves&engine mount .Thanks for any info from your experiences-Don
crashcrater is offline Find More Posts by crashcrater