HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
United States, MT, Superior
Joined Dec 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner331 View Post
Ok.I found a .09 engine from Enya would that work?
I am going to use floats on it once I learn how it flies.
Tanner
Go to Youtube, search "cloud ranger", pick & play the video of MR67stang. This will probably help you make a decision. Rather than the LA with a 7x3, I'd choose the Enya with a skinny 7x4 prop (personal preference), but you sure can't argue with his results.!!! ........... George K.
mtntopgeo is online now Find More Posts by mtntopgeo
Last edited by mtntopgeo; Sep 26, 2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: add
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:49 PM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, is weight not included in that?
To me these two engines are completely different and the OS .10 is a heavy weight to carry. Here is a little comparison;

OS 10 FSR, prop 7x4-7x5; weight incl. muffler about 160g (5.6 oz) power; 7x4 at about 14500rpm, static thrust; about 700g (≈25oz)

TT 07GP, prop 6x3-6x4, weight incl. muffler; 102g (about 3.6 oz), power 6x3 at about 16500rpm, static trust; about 450g (≈15.8oz)

I don't have the Cloud ranger myself but an OS.10 should pull that thing vertically out of sight, I suggest to keep the weight down and go with a Norvel .061 or the TT 07GP. The Norvel has both a weight and a power advantage over the TT.
Hi Surfer:

Of course weight is a consideration, the most important, but since Tanner had already commented on the the weight of OS .10 vs TT .07 being very close I did not address that point. The comparison I was drawing was physical size since that must also be comapred. I have never had a OS .10 but the advertised weight is 3.95 oz (112g) while the TT .07 advertised weight is 3.35 oz (95g), a difference of 17g. I hardly think this places them in different weight classifications. Further, since Tanner has stated he wants to operate off water the extra power would be welcome.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:27 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
917 Posts
112g for the OS is for the LA without the muffler, and the muffler weights about 45g, giving close to 160g in total with the plug. The TT weights 102g with muffler and plug, and to me these two engines are completely different.

A TT should pull the plane around gently and seems like a better match to this trainer type of plane. The OS should spinn a 7x4 with affority and can pull a 23oz plane with unlimited vertical. Overpowering trainers is usually not a very good idea, their airfoil will just make them pull skywards at full throttle.

It is down to flying style I think. The TT will not spin anything larger than a 6 inch prop while the OS is happy with 7 inch ones.
surfer_kris is online now Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:44 PM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
Fusalage Part 2

Hi
I just finished the fusalage.I just need to sand it.
tanner331 is offline Find More Posts by tanner331
Last edited by tanner331; Sep 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:27 AM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
Floats Part 1

I am going to build the floats next.I just finished most of the first one.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:28 AM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
On float is done

I just finished this float the second float is almost done.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:28 PM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
I have finished both floats and now I am working on the wings.I finished one and I am about half way done in the other.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 05:42 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
How's It Going ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner331 View Post
I have finished both floats and now I am working on the wings.I finished one and I am about half way done in the other.
Hi Tanner:

How is the CR going ? You were doing a beautiful job on thr floats, I would love to see your progress.

Did you get your engine yet ? The CR on floats should be a really nice setup.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:58 AM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
Hi I Haven't been able to work on my pane very much because of school.Here are some pics of my latest work on it.I haven't ordered my engine yet but I think I am going with the Norvel 0.061
Last edited by tanner331; Nov 15, 2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
Kenai ,Alaska
Joined Aug 2010
108 Posts
I just finished the hinges on the tail

Here are some pictures of the tail fins with the hinges
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:21 AM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
looks great!

i used a plastic pin type hinge just above the tail wheel....are you going to hinge that area too?
Sofa King is offline Find More Posts by Sofa King
Last edited by Sofa King; Nov 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:40 PM
United States, TN, Thompson's Station
Joined May 2004
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee View Post
Hi Tanner:

Well the .09 is getting a little big for the CR, however the fact that you want to float fly it would probably be ok with throttle management. I think the larger issue would be the weight of the Enya. I have a feeling it might make the CR a lead sled.

There are really two classes (in my opinion) of RC flyers, those that fly on the wing and those that fly on the prop. I fly on the wing, I like more scale speed. Not to say there is anything wrong with prop flyers, we just prefer different regimes.

Tom
Nice plane. My Cloud Ranger has been my "every day" flyer for a couple years. Mine's electric - 160W on a 10x5 prop. Yes, I am pretty much mowing the grass when I'm not flying off concrete : )

Regarding Tom's 'wing/prop' comparison... Just my opinion - The CR does fly on the wing, but it needs a little speed to do so. It's not what you would call a 'floater'. On the other hand, it doesn't really require all of the 160W I've got to fly. Mine cruises nicely on 1/4 throttle.

The great thing about the CR is it strikes a nice balance. It's light enough to fly really well, but it's got enough structure to handle a little rough flying (and rougher landings).

BTW I put a servo in each wing. Those strip ailerons do allow you to program some nice flaperons if you're in the mood for slow touch-and-goes. Just one more thing the CR does nicely!

Hmmmm... Now that I'm thinking about it maybe your fuelie will end up lighter than my electric. Mine's covered with transparent Monokote, and I had to add a little lead in the nose - both major transgressions in the park-flyer regime.

Happy building! (Good memories...)
tblount70 is offline Find More Posts by tblount70
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:43 AM
NEK of VT, U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Hi, the CR was my first RC airplane; I also ended up putting flotes on it and skies; I remember that mine floted around quite nicely, air and water.
It is a very strong airframe, I know, it was my first plane and I taught myself to fly.
I powered mine with a .061 AP glow engine, I can’t stand that motor, I was able to get it to run well 3 times, maybe. Then I got to looking up a new motor and well the TT .07 would have been ideal, but the weight of the OS .10 wasn’t that much heavier than the TT .07 and the TT .18 wasn’t that much heaver than the OS .10. Guess which one I got? I got the TT .18. My plane went from a STOL to a something that flew like a jet.
Personally I think that it would make a great electric plane. That is what I wish I did with mine. If this is your first glow airplane I will give you a heads up, not too many guys fly glow this size any more. It was a grate airplane, but I never had a good engine in it.
It is looking good(the biuld), have fun with it.
MellowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MellowFlyer
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:27 AM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
I've got the star cruiser which is basically the same plane, I flew it a couple of times with the TT07. I absolutely HATE that engine. I can take the plane out on the porch and run a tank of fuel through it, runs great. walk 200 yards to where I fly and it may run, it may not, if it does it may run like a scalded dog or it may run like crap. Very temperamental little thing. extremely sensitive to altitude and humidity.

I now fly it with a TP 2408-21 e motor and a heavy 2400mah 3 cell lipo and 8x4 zinger wood prop. It cruises at 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle is a little fast for the air frame and I've only used full throttle when I had a FPV set up on it (added 15oz auw) and that was only for take off.

when I built the wing I did cut 2 extra ribs and extended the wing span to 49" (built it for fpv). with out the camera, on low rates (factory recommended high rate) it will not stall just sits nose up and floats down, actually makes it VERY hard to land in a small space unless you have a LONG final approach.

have an 0s15 on my Herr P51, 8x3 MAS combat prop and LOVE it. flies like a very nice 40 or 60 size and with a 8x4 it will keep up with and out run some 40 size models but then slows down to a crawl to land. poor thing even has a bullet hole through the wing from a 22 mag.
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:51 AM
USA, MO, Ava
Joined Jun 2005
536 Posts
i went with the supertigre .10 brushless and an 8x4 prop.
Sofa King is offline Find More Posts by Sofa King