designed by Scott Stoops
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Flying characteristics

I own both and have flown both extensively. The 41" Edge is more of an entry-level 3D aircraft, being lighter and more floaty; it responds crisply, but does not snap and tumble with the violence of the 42" Slick. The Slick does not feel as floaty as the Edge, and it requires more input and attention for low and slow 3D work. That said, the Slick has a greater feeling of precision and tracks better if you are interested in IMAC-type maneuvers. Both excel at upright harriers, but the Edge has an advantage in inverted harriers. The Slick can perform remarkably violent blenders and snaps, intense enough to scare you a bit. To me, the Slick is a touch easier to hover, perhaps due to its longer tail moment.

So, choosing between the Slick and Edge depends on what type of flying you wish to do, and your experience level. Personally, if I could only own one of these two aircraft, I would choose the 42" Slick for its versatility. IMHO.

Ron
rsasaki is online now Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:56 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasaki View Post
So, choosing between the Slick and Edge depends on what type of flying you wish to do, and your experience level. Personally, if I could only own one of these two aircraft, I would choose the 42" Slick for its versatility. IMHO.

Ron
I'm still new at flying planes. Taking a break from flying helicopters. I have a PZ Corsair that I've been flying and a 3DHS SHP that I'm building. The 41" Edge or the 42" Slick will be my second balsa plane. I have a 41" Edge on back-order but the 42" Slick caught my eye and now I'm interested in it. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:08 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
If you are building the excellent SHP, I don't see a huge advantage in getting the 41" Edge, other than cost/size/portability issues. Although it's gorgeous in orange .

Ron
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:15 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
If you are building the excellent SHP, I don't see a huge advantage in getting the 41" Edge, other than cost/size/portability issues. Although it's gorgeous in orange .

Ron
The orange 41" edge is the one I have on backorder. So would you suggest the 42" Slick as a second plane after the SHP?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
The orange 41" edge is the one I have on backorder. So would you suggest the 42" Slick as a second plane after the SHP?
go bigger if you can. the 40"~ planes are awesome, but it just gets better and better the bigger you go.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:28 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
I'd suggest you wait to purchase the second balsa 3D aircraft until you are quite comfortable with the SHP and know where you want to go, i.e., what type of flying and what size aircraft you want. You might consider a sturdy EPP 3D foam aircraft for learning those tough 3D moves down low to the ground. Despite all my balsa aircraft, I still really enjoy pushing myself and practicing those moves with a bouncy, low-stress, no worries EPP aircraft.

Ron
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:51 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
go bigger if you can. the 40"~ planes are awesome, but it just gets better and better the bigger you go.
I was thinking of that.......I just got sucked in to these 3DHS planes and then after getting my SHP and seeing how great it looks I back ordered a 41" Edge just so I would have one if I wanted it later before they go out of stock again. Now the AJ Slick has caught my eye. Probably should hold off on the second plane. What would be the next plane/step after a SHP? The 51" AJ slick looks nice also. So many beautiful 3DHS planes. I quess this is the start of the addiction...
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:53 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
You might consider a sturdy EPP 3D foam aircraft for learning those tough 3D moves down low to the ground. Despite all my balsa aircraft, I still really enjoy pushing myself and practicing those moves with a bouncy, low-stress, no worries EPP aircraft.

Ron
Any suggestions/links on a EPP foam aircraft? I heard a rumor somewhere that 3DHS was working on a foamy. Anyone else hear anything about that?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:54 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,645 Posts
ya I hear you. rsasaki makes a good point, though. get nice and comfy with the SHP. put some dings in it, fly it lower, get crazy. 3DHS will be around when you are ready for the next step, and in the mean time, you just might have a chance to try out another pilot's 3DHS plane.

I went from 42" Slick to 65" Vyper. The Vyper in many ways is easier to build and fly. There is more room to work when installing components and the thing basically lands itself. When I got the Vyper I already had 160+ flights on the Slick.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:55 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
If you're really keen on getting the next balsa ship, then I'd suggest:

46" Vyper for hybrid 3D/pattern
51" Slick for 3D/IMAC
57" 330SC for 3D/IMAC

Ron
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,645 Posts
what's the difference between IMAC and pattern?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:59 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Any suggestions/links on a EPP foam aircraft? I heard a rumor somewhere that 3DHS was working on a foamy. Anyone else hear anything about that?
http://e-foamy.com/products/42edge540.php

I've flown it and it's smooth and terrific fun. Of course there are many others as well.

Ron
Old Sep 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
what's the difference between IMAC and pattern?
not too much... IMAC is mostly about flying precision aerobatics in a scale fashion, pattern is precision aerobatics that doesn't give two hoots about being scale.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM