HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2003, 12:06 PM
Northern Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2002
40 Posts
Dynaflight BOT arf E-powered

I picked up a Bird of Time arf from Dynaflight a couple weeks ago, with the idea of converting it to a motor glider. I finished the work last night and went out for the test flight(s) this morning. Three flights 1 hour and 20 minutes total air time! The last flight was in good lift conditions and was 40 minutes. I had to bring it down as my neck was cramping and I had some trouble focusing my eyes on the Bird. I will never go out without a chair again! the arf was very easy to assemble, everything went together well. I cut the nose off right behing the lead weight, and installed a 1/8" ply plate. I then cut a 1 1/4" diameter hole in the ply to glue in a motor mount. The mount has 25mm hole spacing (I got it from Dymond) and looks just like the mounts HobbyLobby sells for Phasors and AXI's. I used a Dymond Turbo 660 geared motor with a 12x7 aeronaut cam prop on 7 cells 1250SCR. The climb was not outstanding but it did not take long to get to cruising altitude. I will try to provide a pic of the motor mount if anyone is interested. To conclude my review, it is a great flying, easy to assemble, fairly cheap model and I am very happy with it.

papegai
papegai is offline Find More Posts by papegai
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2003, 06:02 PM
Syracuce NY
Joined Apr 2002
98 Posts
I just bought the Dynaflight BOT ARF also, what a great plane for the money. I would like to do a similar conversion, any pics would be appreciated
thanks
Don
Don Mackay is offline Find More Posts by Don Mackay
Old Jul 06, 2003, 07:12 AM
Northern Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2002
40 Posts
I can't get really sharp pics with my camera, but they're usually usable. here is a pic of the nose. The spinner fits very close to the motor mount. It's too bad that the clean lines of the original are lost in the conversion, but at least there is space to drill some cooling inlets.

papegai
Old Jul 06, 2003, 07:34 AM
Northern Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2002
40 Posts
Here is another view. Really the conversion was quite easy, and if you cut carefully you will hardly need to do any sanding (on the nose) to prepare it for the ply plate. I just traced around the front of the fuse(after the nose was cut off), and used 5min epoxy to attach the plate to the fuse. The width of the nose right behind the lead weight, was perfect for the motormount I wanted to use.

papegai
Old Jul 06, 2003, 07:42 AM
Northern Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2002
40 Posts
What looks like the backplate of the spinner is actually the motor mount, the spinner backplate is hidden. I have not painted the plywood plate yet because I wanted to see if drastic changes might be needed regarding downthrust or right thrust. I did try to put some downthrust and some right thrust into the installation to begin with am I am satisfied with it. I think I will use some white latex paint to finish the raw plywood.

papegai
Old Jul 07, 2003, 04:52 PM
Lucas
United States, WY, Smoot
Joined Jun 2002
46 Posts
Electrified Bird of Time

I got the Dynaflite BOT ARF two days ago. Was impressed with the quality.

Since I'm getting old and the Rumitiz is starting to get to me, I'm going to have to give up the high-start and winch. This means that everything from here on out is going to be electric.

Plan on putting an AXI in the nose of the BOT. I can get around 35 oz of thrust out of it and while that won't be vertical, it'll get the job done.

Read several interesting comments about floaters and lead sleds. Seems to me that you should do whatever floats your boat. I really like to float around and will admit it's easier to detect a very light thermal with a light wing-loaded glider but what you miss you can make up for with the push of a lever.

Besides - All electric model airplanes are going to come down in weight as newer construction materials come on line. I first flew a Gentle Lady powered electric about 14 years ago. It weighed about as much as my three-meter BOT will weigh and I can assure everyone it didn't climb nearly as fast or as often as my BOT will.
Lucas490 is offline Find More Posts by Lucas490