HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by tking2097, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Discussion
TaylorCraft Ready for Re-maiden

Clarence Taylor’s legendary creation - the Taylorcraft. I purchased this beauty a couple of years ago from a local RC pilot for a song. I generally don't buy used, but the price was too good to pass up, and the Taylorcraft is a great match for my nearby park flying field! The Taylorcraft did have one nasty accident with the previous owner, but I was aware of this and decided that replacing the fuselage would be appropriate to eliminate the damage and put the TC is pristine, new condition.

The new airframe has been installed, so the Taylorcraft is now ready to be re-maidened as soon as the weather cooperates.

Specs for the E-Flite Taylorcraft 450:
Wingspan: 46 in (1170mm)
Length: 36 in (915mm)
Wing Area: 370 sq in (23.87 sq dm)
Weight w/o Battery: 29–31 oz (680–740 g)
Weight w/ Battery: 24–26 oz (820–880 g), 2200mAh HC 20C MaxFlight

Power options:
Motor: E-Flite Park 450 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 890Kv
(E-Flite's Sport Outrunner recommendation)
Prop: Master Airscrew 10 x 8 electric
ESC: Turnigy 40 Amp

I chose the Park 450 Brushless Outrunner Motor since I prefer to fly this plane scale, and the Park 450 is very adequate in this capacity. The wheels are Dubro 2-1/2" Diamond Lite WheelsE-Flite suggests 1-1/2" wheels, but the 2-1/2" size is much better suited to the grass field at the park.

I will add a brief update as soon as the weather permits the re-maiden of the Taylorcraft.

Re-maiden Report - Tragic Incident Reported!

I am sorry to report a tragic incident occurred during the remaiden of the Taylorcraft:

The Taylorcraft suffered a mid-air collision with an F4U Corsair flying out of the joint military and civilian Trinity Airfield. The collision severed the left wing of the Taylorcraft, which subsequently crashed and burned, resulting in the total loss of the aircraft. It is uncertain at this time whether the pilot survived the crash.

The F4U Corsair involved in the mid-air incident safely returned to the airfield without major damage. A military board will be convened to review the incident.
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Last edited by tking2097; Dec 12, 2010 at 06:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts